AMD power usage misconception

App4that

If the systems pulls 500w under load (mind you most calculators do 90% cpu load, this is NOT idea for certain scenarios), you should add in 10% (or more) for aging, bringing you to 550w. 600 watts sounds great, factoring in small things like extra hard drives or heavier decay. You should add a bit. 

What I meant is, if you have already everything included in your calculation like the capacitor aging or potential upgrades, then they even add another 100 or 200w to it, which absolutly makes no sense. And that is what a lot of people do.

What I meant is, if you have already everything included in your calculation like the capacitor aging or potential upgrades, then they even add another 100 or 200w to it, which absolutly makes no sense. And that is what a lot of people do.

I personally do reccomend much higher, but I don't often recommend builds (tiring and annoying), and I usually mention I'm doing that. 

It's a long standing practice for me, since i tend to reuse PSUs, like a higher capacity and I'm used to having my hardware changing a lot in my computer's lifetime, drive, gpus, nics, everything. 

I have a system with a 970 and a non-k 2600 in it with a 650w psu in it. The PSU choice itself was due to needing one immediately and being limited to fry's options in indy, otherwise doubt I would have bought a corsair RM series...

anyway eventually threw that in the 970 system and I literally had people calling me a dumbass, which pisses me off. There's nothing stupid about overkill psus. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I personally do reccomend much higher, but I don't often recommend builds (tiring and annoying), and I usually mention I'm doing that. 

It's a long standing practice for me, since i tend to reuse PSUs, like a higher capacity and I'm used to having my hardware changing a lot in my computer's lifetime, drive, gpus, nics, everything. 

I have a system with a 970 and a non-k 2600 in it with a 650w psu in it. The PSU choice itself was due to needing one immediately and being limited to fry's options in indy, otherwise doubt I would have bought a corsair RM series...

anyway eventually threw that in the 970 system and I literally had people calling me a dumbass, which pisses me off. There's nothing stupid about overkill psus. 

I'm not saying it is stupid to have one in your system. Let's say I could get a really good deal on a 1500w PSU, then I would take it. Or if I had an old one lying around, why would I buy a new one?

But I think it is stupid to recommend overkill PSUs, because saving the money for something else makes more sense.

I'm not saying it is stupid to have one in your system. Let's say I could get a really good deal on a 1500w PSU, then I would take it. Or if I had an old one lying around, why would I buy a new one?

But I think it is stupid to recommend overkill PSUs, because saving the money for something else makes more sense.

not you but I fight the general anti-overkill nazi sentiment. People get borderline violent about it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

The RM gets no love here. Sad because it's a great PSU.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

not you but I fight the general anti-overkill nazi sentiment. People get borderline violent about it. 

Suggest someone get a better CPU, or better GPU, and you'll get the same old "that lower one will suffice" response. Or at least I do. The PSU does nothing outside of what you ask of it. About the only good thing about PSU overkill is upgrade headroom.

The RM gets no love here. Sad because it's a great PSU.

it is but there's better, especially for what I eneded up paying. Cooling thing about having it in this system is despite being crammed in an itx system, the fan has literally never kicked on. 

That said, you can get PSU with much higher end capacitors for the same price. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Suggest someone get a better CPU, or better GPU, and you'll get the same old "that lower one will suffice" response. Or at least I do. The PSU does nothing outside of what you ask of it. About the only good thing about PSU overkill is upgrade headroom.

how else will I connect my stolen air traffic control strobe light to my PC? Lights BRAH they help you game! 

muh specs 

All parts black

it is but there's better, especially for what I eneded up paying. Cooling thing about having it in this system is despite being crammed in an itx system, the fan has literally never kicked on. 

That said, you can get PSU with much higher end capacitors for the same price. 

I hear the fan now :lol: , reminds me of the stock cooler that came with the 4690k. Lets me know when I'm under load. I don't even have to watch Afterburner now :lol:

That's very true.

I just wonder what is has to do with Nazis...  :lol:

I hear the fan now :lol: , reminds me of the stock cooler that came with the 4690k. Lets me know when I'm under load. I don't even have to watch Afterburner now :lol:

it actually is pretty loud if it kicks on? 

muh specs 

All parts black

That's very true.

I just wonder what is has to do with Nazis...  :lol:

Illuminazis 

muh specs 

All parts black

it actually is pretty loud if it kicks on? 

Not loud, noticeable. I thought it was one of the cards at first, went looking to see why only one had it's fans ramp up. But it was the PSU. The second you're not under load, like Valley, it turns off.

Illuminazis 

Oh no... Please don't mention the Illuminati. A friend of mine cannot stop talking about them and he is always saying that they're such a big thread and that they're controlling the world and other stuff like that... It's so annoying QQ

Oh no... Please don't mention the Illuminati. A friend of mine cannot stop talking about them and he is always saying that they're such a big thread and that they're controlling the world and other stuff like that... It's so annoying QQ

Illuminazis

They are like the Illuminati, but with a higher gas bill. 

muh specs 

All parts black

If they don't exist, then who invented the Taco Bell Doritos Locos Tacos? Yeah, you got nuthin now.

If they don't exist, then who invented the Taco Bell Doritos Locos Tacos? Yeah, you got nuthin now.

How else did mobile amazon know I wanted a desk chair after I googled chairs for tall people for hours on my DESKTOP! 

tazGY5E.gif

muh specs 

All parts black

Thank god I bought my 1300w psu. It's been a little champ.

I'd love to see what you're actually drawing :lol:

Thank god I bought my 1300w psu. It's been a little champ.

After this whole argument, I think you have truck nuts for balls.

muh specs 

All parts black

During gaming when the cpu kicks up a lot more heat, you might be pushing it on the 750w psu. Personally I have a 1000w gold PSU for a 290 and 290x 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

During gaming when the cpu kicks up a lot more heat, you might be pushing it on the 750w psu. Personally I have a 1000w gold PSU for a 290 and 290x 

Valley is by far the highest my temperatures ever go. I can run Witcher 3 at ultra with just the 390 (no hairworks), so all the 290 does is pick up some slack here and there. Firestike doesn't even pull the wattage or create the temps Valley does.

Valley is by far the highest my temperatures ever go. I can run Witcher 3 at ultra with just the 390 (no hairworks), so all the 290 does is pick up some slack here and there. Firestike doesn't even pull the wattage or create the temps Valley does.

I really think you should be playing with hairworks. 390 + 290 is more than enough to get 60fps with hairworks at 8x tessellation. Unless you're playing 4k, then you need 2 980tis

I really think you should be playing with hairworks. 390 + 290 is more than enough to get 60fps with hairworks at 8x tessellation. Unless you're playing 4k, then you need 2 980tis

I might try Hairworks tonight now that I know the PSU can take it. Monitor is my next big purchase, I'm at 1080p now but want to go to 1440.

I might try Hairworks tonight now that I know the PSU can take it. Monitor is my next big purchase, I'm at 1080p now but want to go to 1440.

Yeah. Definitely hairworks. My single overclocked 290 got 35-45 fps with hairworks and everything on ultra at 1440p

Yeah. Definitely hairworks. My single overclocked 290 got 35-45 fps with hairworks and everything on ultra at 1440p

The 390 is a definite improvement over the 290. Even at the same clock speed the difference is noticeable. I almost pulled the 290 and sold it a few times since I got the 390. But something about two graphics cards in a case, just can't give it up.