Build for a friend

Gr0egercesg

Hey guys,

I designed this with a friend as an upgrade from his 21.5 imac

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/GmZmt6

Can you just have a look over it and maybe suggest improvements at the same price point

Groegercesg

It's mostly a good build, but I would definitly change a few things:

• This is very important: Get a different power supply. The CX series is not made for higher end gaming rigs. You should definitly change that to a different PSU like an XFX XTR, a Seasonix S12 II or an EVGA B2. There are also other very good PSUs out there.
  • Why did you take two 850 Evos? Have a look if you can find a 512GB 850 Evo at a lower price point or even a different SSD like a Crucial BX100 or Adata SP550 for example.
  • Why do you need a 4TB Hybrid drive when you already have a SSD?

Edit: My recommendation:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£241.53 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler  (£55.28 @ CCL Computers) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£112.22 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£63.80 @ More Computers) 
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£119.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  (£268.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  (£49.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£62.48 @ Novatech) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (£72.69 @ Amazon UK) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  (£14.77 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £1216.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-03 21:30 GMT+0000

Why get 2 SSDs?

If it's for gaming:

1- Try getting a i5 6600K 

2- Try getting a better GPU like the 980ti

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

get a 6600k with a phanteks tc12 cooler and an evga 980 ti classified acx 2.0

asus pro gaming z170

edit:

how much storage does he really need? can he get away with using a 120gb ssd and a 1-2tb hdd?

BigDay

It kills me how people always assume that a pc is for gaming... Like come on... He was using an iman in the first place do you really think he was doing much gaming? He could have been doing other things with the iMac that are more CPU intensive and needs an i7 for that reason. Stop thinking everyone here is just to build a "gaming" pc. 

Now that my mini rant is over. 

You really should just get one single 500GBSSD, it'll end up being cheaper or at the same price as both SSDs together and you will be getting more space. As for the power supply, that definitely needs to be changed. Get at least a Gold+ power supply for a build like this. 

Other than those two thing everything is great. You have a great build here the only other suggestion I could give your friend is to save up for a 980ti if possible, if not then the 970 will do for now and with a new line of nVidia cards coming out next year possibly the 970 will definitely hold him over until then and he can just save money to upgrade to the most powerful one from that new line. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

What is the purpose of the build for?

It kills me how people always assume that a pc is for gaming... Like come on... He was using an iman in the first place do you really think he was doing much gaming? He could have been doing other things with the iMac that are more CPU intensive and needs an i7 for that reason. Stop thinking everyone here is just to build a "gaming" pc. 

Now that my mini rant is over. 

Sorry i should have said, the purpose of the build is for video editing and animation as well as light gaming.

I was thinking having one ssd for the os and another for programs and games would increase boot times and general performance

3 questions, is the 50£ noctua cooler worth it?, Price to Performance wise is a 980 worthwhile? And do i need to worry about the corsair psu?

Just so you know the emphasis of this build is on upgradeability if that changes anything

Sorry i should have said, the purpose of the build is for video editing and animation as well as light gaming.

I was thinking having one ssd for the os and another for programs and games would increase boot times and general performance

3 questions, is the 50£ noctua cooler worth it?, Price to Performance wise is a 980 worthwhile? And do i need to worry about the corsair psu?

Just so you know the emphasis of this build is on upgradeability if that changes anything

You're better off still just having one SSD for OS and certain programs that you need to run of it. Games I would suggest putting on the HDD because you won't see any performance difference with a game being on an SSD or an HDD.

Yes, but I'd check and see how much the Noctua D14 or D15 are as they are better coolers than the C14.

Depends, are you asking about the 980 or the 980ti? Price to Performance wise the 980ti is yes. Very worth it. The 980 itself though I'm not to sure to be honest. I've heard yes from some people and no from some but I've never had any experience with a 980 myself. 

The Corsair PSU needs to go. If you want a Corsair PSU you need to get a Gold+ rated one. The CX series are not meant for builds like this. They were designed for very low demanding machines. http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr that PSU right there is around the same price and it will be much more reliable for what you need in this system.

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R