Help saving my PC it got wet

SkulD
Go to solution Solved by Skyfire,

I'd dry what you can and leave it off for a while (48+ hours or so to be safe). Dry the components gently with a hairdryer or something similar. It's going to take a while for trapped water to evaporate so try to be patient. You don't want to short anything.

Does your insurance cover it?

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

you could go to the shoe store and get 20 million packets of silica gel just remember DO NOT EAT

u got it wet ?

u need to teach me how to do that !!!!! wink wink

...realy 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Ok, well, if component aren't damaged, it will work, but I'm not sure why everyone suggest to dry out for so long.

My friend was entering the pool with cellphone in his shorts, swim around, exit, and he realized then. He took mask off, let cellphone on sunlight for 15 minutes, get mask back (with LCD not exposed to sunlight), and everything did worked fine just after 15 minutes, I'm just saying, for sure, it is more secure to let it dry for longer time and no one can vouch it will work, but week is a bit too much...

Ok, well, if component aren't damaged, it will work, but I'm not sure why everyone suggest to dry out for so long.

My friend was entering the pool with cellphone in his shorts, swim around, exit, and he realized then. He took mask off, let cellphone on sunlight for 15 minutes, get mask back (with LCD not exposed to sunlight), and everything did worked fine just after 15 minutes, I'm just saying, for sure, it is more secure to let it dry for longer time and no one can vouch it will work, but week is a bit too much...

My experience with this stuff is led me to dry it for days or until I know its as dry as it can be.

My experience with this stuff is led me to dry it for days or until I know its as dry as it can be.

Yeah, it is good just to make sure, but again, water evaporate fast, the real danger is if there is something else mixed with water, and that is conductive (he most likely didn't get distilled water :P). But yeah, more time = better, but week is way way too much (even few days), few hours should do the job, but better safe then sorry, you are right.

Thank you guys for all your responses, I just assembled the PC on my table and it booted, loaded into windows and everything looks fine, I0ll have to check the graphics card temps though I forgot to do that, anyways it wasn't making any noise, so i guess it is still cooling just fine, I'll clean the case now and put everything in it again.

:D

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

Put all the parts in a basket of rice and leave them there for a few days. maybe a week to be safe

EDIT: Didn't read your last post, sorry

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I would clean everything with isopropyl alcohol like the graphics card, motherboard and cpu. Then reapply thermal paste where needed. However, if water has gotten into the power supply, I wouldn't use that again.... :(  :(

Last time this happened to me, all I did to fix the situation was tip the PC on the side of the case with the side off for a few days next to the heater on low. This did the trick for me.