Help saving my PC it got wet

SkulD
Go to solution Solved by Skyfire,

I'd dry what you can and leave it off for a while (48+ hours or so to be safe). Dry the components gently with a hairdryer or something similar. It's going to take a while for trapped water to evaporate so try to be patient. You don't want to short anything.

So i went to visit some relatives and left my pc unpluged, when i return after a few days my PC is all wet, there was a leak ( too much hot water, the pressure valve opened) in the solar water heater, and hot boiling water rainned down on my PC through a small crack in the ceiling.

I wan to know if there are any special steps to follow in this situation, the PC was un plugged from the wall when this happened, so I guess something is still alive in there, although it was boiling water that was poured in it.

I just want to disasemble it, dry clean it properly and test if it is still alive, please help.

the case also looks tarnished with water marks I can easily clean the metal parts, but the plastic sections are really tough to clean

just so you know this is/was my system specs

FX 3850 stock speed (watercooled lol by antec h20 960)

AMD 7970 @1100mhz gpu, 1575 mhz memory

8gigs 1866 corsair ram

ssd 60gig corsair force gt

500gig WD caviar blue

2tb WD green

Asus xonar sound card

mobo Gigabyte 990fxa ud5

case corsair 550d

please any help will be aprecciated D:

Its a little late, i'll post pics tomorrow.

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

as long as it wasn't on at any point when it was wet, I think it should be fine as long as you let it dry for a veryyyy lonngg time

as long as it wasn't on at any point when it was wet, I think it should be fine as long as you let it dry for a veryyyy lonngg time

Well, there is the BIOS battery.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Well, there is the BIOS battery.

yeah, no idea what that is :)

I'd dry what you can and leave it off for a while (48+ hours or so to be safe). Dry the components gently with a hairdryer or something similar. It's going to take a while for trapped water to evaporate so try to be patient. You don't want to short anything.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

Take it apart and pit each part in rice. It'll attract asians who will fix your components.

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

yeah, no idea what that is :)

Whoops, I mean CMOS battery. It's a button-cell battery that keeps your BIOS settings backed up.

battery.jpg

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Take it apart and pit each part in rice. It'll attract asians who will fix your components.

I hear rice pouring! Asian, AWAY!

I suggest taking the heatsink off the video card, cleaning off the thermal paste and putting the graphics card in a bag of rice while hand-drying the cooler. Also, take out the CMOS battery and place everything else in rice (separately, of course.)

If anything, the WD Green might be unrecoverable.

Whoops, I mean CMOS battery. It's a button-cell battery that keeps your BIOS settings backed up.

It also powers the RTC.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

battery.jpg

you learn something everyday :P

What I'd definitely suggest is to go onto ebay or amazon etc. and buy some silicon dioxide balls(a.k.a. silica gel), these are what are in those little packets inside things you buy.  Its a very good desiccator (it is extremely attracted to water, and will pull the water out of your components) what you'd do is put the components you want to dry in an airtight place e.g. one of those airtight bags with the silicon and then just wait,

P.S. I advise you to get the coloured ones i.e. the orange ones that will turn black when they've pulled out all the moisture they can.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silica-Gel-Dessicant-Granules-Beads-Self-Indicating-Loose-Multilisting-/140688372885?pt=UK_Packaging_Materials&var=&hash=item20c1ae3495

Thank you guys will try that trick with the rice LOL, i already took it appart and dryied it a little lika you said, now i have to wait an see if i can get the case to look nice again.

About taking the graphics card cooler, would i have problems with the thermal pads in the card? Because as far as i know those are adhesive right? If i dissasemble the card will those work again? Because i can't replace them in my country thermal pads are not sold anywhere, i have looked it up.

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

u got it wet ?

u need to teach me how to do that !!!!! wink wink

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I'M HERE WHAT IS THE PROBLEM SIR?

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Thank you guys will try that trick with the rice LOL, i already took it appart and dryied it a little lika you said, now i have to wait an see if i can get the case to look nice again.

About taking the graphics card cooler, would i have problems with the thermal pads in the card? Because as far as i know those are adhesive right? If i dissasemble the card will those work again? Because i can't replace them in my country thermal pads are not sold anywhere, i have looked it up.

Some water might have seeped in between heat spreaders and components (cpu and its cooler for example), but that won't do any real physical harm.  The worst it can do is slightly decrease cooling performance.  If you can get thermal paste/compound where you are located then replace it otherwise just monitor your temperatures to make sure it's all good.

I cannot stress this enough: Every component HAS TO BE DRY, it is better to wait a long time to ensure this.  Be sure to check in crevices etc. 

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Some water might have seeped in between heat spreaders and components (cpu and its cooler for example), but that won't do any real physical harm.  The worst it can do is slightly decrease cooling performance.  If you can get thermal paste/compound where you are located then replace it otherwise just monitor your temperatures to make sure it's all good.

I cannot stress this enough: Every component HAS TO BE DRY, it is better to wait a long time to ensure this.  Be sure to check in crevices etc. 

Will do, I currently have all my components laying on the table with an electrical heater on low, so its blowing warm air over my stuff.

Also I have set a bowl of rice near my pc, no asains have showed up... yet.

I would wait 3-4 days just to be super safe 

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

lol, I'm sorry, i don't have idea how to help you, but i had to LOL at Thread name, you made my day :)

lol, I'm sorry, i don't have idea how to help you, but i had to LOL at Thread name, you made my day :)

English is not my native language so yeah, I knew it sounded wierd but I didn't know how to say that my computer took an unwanted bath.

make sure not to attempt to dry it, by using a hairdryer etc...  the heat might melt the solder

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

u got it wet ?

u need to teach me how to do that !!!!! wink wink

I'M HERE WHAT IS THE PROBLEM SIR?

Will do, I currently have all my components laying on the table with an electrical heater on low, so its blowing warm air over my stuff.

Also I have set a bowl of rice near my pc, no asains have showed up... yet.

English is not my native language so yeah, I knew it sounded wierd but I didn't know how to say that my computer took an unwanted bath.

I would wait 3-4 days just to be super safe 

What I'd definitely suggest is to go onto ebay or amazon etc. and buy some silicon dioxide balls(a.k.a. silica gel), these are what are in those little packets inside things you buy.  Its a very good desiccator (it is extremely attracted to water, and will pull the water out of your components) what you'd do is put the components you want to dry in an airtight place e.g. one of those airtight bags with the silicon and then just wait,

P.S. I advise you to get the coloured ones i.e. the orange ones that will turn black when they've pulled out all the moisture they can.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20c1ae3495

Just let it dry out, thats all you can really do. Was there standing water in/on components?

Disassemble in and let it air dry for a few days. Then slowly dry it further with a hair dryer. Should be good to go.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

you will be fine, strip the computer down best you can and let it dry for a week or so.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |