Looking For A Good 1151 Mobo

Go to solution Solved by shanmu54321,

Asus Z170 A

I intend to upgrade my system to a skylake i7-6700k

Can you guys suggest me a reputable Z170 chipset mobo that i can use.

I mainly do gaming on my system but sometimes video rendering and other things.

Asus Z170 A

CPU:Intel Core i3 3210 Mobo:MSI B75MA-E33  GPU:Intel 2500 HD Graphics  SSD:Adata SP600 128gb  HDD:Seagate 1tb 7200rpm  

PSU:Corsair CX430   Case:Antec ASK4000bU3  Monitor:Dell S2240l 21.5 inch 1080p

one from asus

pick one that fits your budget and has the features you want

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

one from asus

pick one that fits your budget and has the features you want

Asus Z170 A

Oh i forgot to mention it would be nice to have blue or black accents on it as that is the color scheme of my system

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z170mmortar

No need for full ATX, and no features lost from this board.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

hmm interesting and awesome choice, so this board will work fine with dual sli?

Yep,

EDIT: NOPE. This will work with 2x CF, but not 2x SLI. The last slot is 4x... darn.

In retrospect, that is annoying...

These three are basically all the same quality and price, with differing accents. Pick your poison:

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z170akraitgaming

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z170a

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z170agamingm5

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Yep,

EDIT: NOPE. This will work with 2x CF, but not 2x SLI. The last slot is 4x... darn.

Ah Cripe, thats unfortunate, hard to get a mobo that will match a blue+black+grey color scheme these days

Ah Cripe, thats unfortunate, hard to get a mobo that will match a blue+black+grey color scheme these days

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170xpsli

This would work, but I generally don't recommend lower end gigabyte boards.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

This looks like the one tbh, but why do you not recommend low end gigabyte boards? Personal troubles?

I have a GA-G97-D3H in my system right now and its pretty damn solid

They just are not as good with making sure to use quality components in all their products as MSI has been for me. (their low end graphics coolers are notorious for this).

It's not necessarily bad, I just steer away from them on instinct.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

They just are not as good with making sure to use quality components in all their products as MSI has been for me. (their low end graphics coolers are notorious for this).

It's not necessarily bad, I just steer away from them on instinct.

Alright fair enough then

I really like the idea of the right angle MOLEX plug for this board, but i dont think $600+ aud is gonna make the cut for that :P

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1780&products_id=33127

Alright fair enough then

I really like the idea of the right angle MOLEX plug for this board, but i dont think $600+ aud is gonna make the cut for that :P

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1780&products_id=33127

I mean you can go for it. With all likelihood you wont' have any issues at all.

Yea... EVGA mobos are stupid overpriced. I'd recommend the ftw but it has some truly insane compromises that make it worthless as a product imho.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

I mean you can go for it. With all likelihood you wont' have any issues at all.

Yea... EVGA mobos are stupid overpriced. I'd recommend the ftw but it has some truly insane compromises that make it worthless as a product imho.

Yeah im with you on the overpriced thing, who the heck pays for a $600 mobo (probably the people that buy it to keep it in stock i guess)

Anyways i think ive found a mobo with 3x 16x pci3 slots (no point in having 3 if i can't use one) and it has a lightening protector, good idea where i live haha

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=32868

Thanks for your help man i totally overlooked the lanes for each pci slot