PC Upgrades or new phone?

Nylysius

Decisions

Christmas is coming up and I only have like $750 AUD to spend. I either want a new phone (Galaxy S6 64GB (not edge or edge+), $999 on Samsung's site or $669 online), or some upgrades for my PC (List of upgrades here, current build with peripherals here). So my question is, what would you guys recommend me buying? 

My current phone is a HTC Desire 510, which I will admit was a mistake in buying, but my previous phone had just died and I needed a new one fast, the 510 was cheap and they had it. About a week later I realised the mistake I had made but didn't want to return it as it was still working quite well for its quality. It's 6 months on now and the battery barely lasts half a day, it needs to be charged the second I get home from school because it only has about 10% battery left, which very quickly diminishes to 0%. The phone is also incredibly slow and the camera is beyond unbearable (The front camera being a mere 0.3MP, the front at an average 5MP with a fixed focus and no flash). To be honest I should have done more research before I got the phone, oh well.

Anyway, I'm looking at the S6 because the Camera is amazing, the performance is fucking good, and the battery is about 20 levels above the battery I'm used to. I'm looking at upgrading my PC so I can fit another 980 in there, so I can overkill the shit out of my PC. Which makes me think that I should probably go for the phone because my PC isn't at all bad at the moment. But the master race inside me is telling me to get the upgrades. So I don't know, any ideas?

Knows Pi to *INSERT THE FOLLOWING NUMBER OF PLACES* decimal places: 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884

Yeah I have too much spare time xD

Get an oneplus two and upgrade PC

my rig ( fx-8370@ 4.6GHz / Nepton 240m/ msi 970 gaming / 16 Gb corsair xms / antec VP700P /  aerocool xpredator x1 white / costum rgb lights / r9 290 direct cu2 / 1 TB hhd/ sandisk 128gb ssd / adata SP900 128gb )

peripherals ( steelseries apex / sharkoon fireglider black / razer goliathus / lg25ub55 )

1+2 is bad.

LG G4 or Note 4 same price, better phone.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I think a/the phone would be the better move, as you said, your PC is fine. and you can kinda stagger the upgrades as you get the funds to do so.

I do have 1 query about your build, why do you have 3 different storage devices?

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

In the end, it really depends on what you need the most. If you think you are going to get the most out of a phone, go for that. If you are actually needing a PC upgrade (I've been sucked into the needless upgrades many a time) then go for that, otherwise if it is doing everything you need right now you might find your money would be better spent later on when you need an upgrade more. 

Also, for those recommending the 1+2, or even Note 4 or G4 you have to remember that is AUD. Coming from Australia, you aren't going to get any flagship phones for particularly cheap, as even a 1+2 is over $500 shipped and converted to AUD. Since this isn't a discussion about the phone choice I won't go into it, but in the end it is really your needs that determine it in the end.

Good luck!

I think a/the phone would be the better move, as you said, your PC is fine. and you can kinda stagger the upgrades as you get the funds to do so.

I do have 1 query about your build, why do you have 3 different storage devices?

The SSD and SSHD I bought with the main parts, the rest was from an old PC and laptop. Yeah I think I agree, the phone would probably be a better way to go. The upgrades can wait.

In the end, it really depends on what you need the most. If you think you are going to get the most out of a phone, go for that. If you are actually needing a PC upgrade (I've been sucked into the needless upgrades many a time) then go for that, otherwise if it is doing everything you need right now you might find your money would be better spent later on when you need an upgrade more. 

Yeah, I don't really wanna get sucked into the needless upgrade, it's a waste of money for a performance increase I probably won't notice for quite a while, so I think that I will go with the phone. 

Knows Pi to *INSERT THE FOLLOWING NUMBER OF PLACES* decimal places: 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884

Yeah I have too much spare time xD

For considerably less than the phones you mentioned, you can get a Moto X Style shipped to Sydney for around $520 Australian. (From Kogan, possibly others). Massive battery, great screen and leaves you with enough left over to start on either the cooling, case or power supply.

Don't do that. 1+2 doesn't even have NFC, and that's not even touching on how shady the company is.