Theory of General Relativity

Takizawa

General relativity, also known as the general theory of relativity, is the geometric theory of gravitation published by Albert Einstein in 1915 and the current description of gravitation in modern physics. General relativity generalizes special relativity and Newton's law of universal gravitation, providing a unified description of gravity as a geometric property of space and time, or spacetime. In particular, the curvature of spacetime is directly related to the energy and momentum of whatever matter and radiation are present. The relation is specified by the Einstein field equations, a system of partial differential equations.

Some predictions of general relativity differ significantly from those of classical physics, especially concerning the passage of time, the geometry of space, the motion of bodies in free fall, and the propagation of light. Examples of such differences include gravitational time dilation, gravitational lensing, the gravitational redshift of light, and the gravitational time delay. The predictions of general relativity have been confirmed in all observations and experiments to date. Although general relativity is not the only relativistic theory of gravity, it is the simplest theory that is consistent with experimental data. However, unanswered questions remain, the most fundamental being how general relativity can be reconciled with the laws of quantum physics to produce a complete and self-consistent theory of quantum gravity.

Did you know about this theory? If so, what'd you think about it?

...Where's the science? I was hoping for something that I would completely and utterly not understand, but noooooo....

Actually, I might understand it fairly well, but I wouldn't know unless someone actually posts some content about what the title suggests!

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

...Where's the science? I was hoping for something that I would completely and utterly not understand, but noooooo....

Actually, I might understand it fairly, but I wouldn't know unless someone actually posts some content about what the title suggests!

There ya go

Any theoretical physicists in the house?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Did you know about this theory? If so, what'd you think about it?

Really?  Yes... this has been common knowledge for decades... am I missing something here!?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

This is quite far fetched for a computer forum aha

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Any theoretical physicists in the house?

LukaP? 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Really?  Yes... this has been common knowledge for decades... am I missing something here!?

I think a better question to ask is if we comprehend it and understand the implications of it.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

LukaP? 

Maybe the OP wants Sheldon Cooper and Leslie Winkle to come and start a discussion... :huh:

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Maybe the OP wants Sheldon Cooper and Leslie Winkle to come and start a discussion... :huh:

probably haha :P

I know that recently a quantum physics was done that brought the two a litte closer, i think. dont really follow the stuff though. Cant find it though, so i may be remembering it wrong/ 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

A lot of the math and content involved in any papers that try to unify Relativity and Quantum physics can be difficult for the average person who is not a physicist to understand, let alone try and explain it to another non-physicist.  The best physicist that I have ever listened to who was able to explain these types of "high level" concepts and make almost anyone understand was probably Richard Feynman.  Watch the Feynman lecture videos on Youtube, they are available.

I'm not a physicist, I'm certain not many on this forum are, so it will be hard to hold a discussion on such a topic when the most that any of us may know/understand are generalizations.

Here are Part 1's to some of Feynman's videos:

Yes, I know about it.
Think it's alright, probably wouldn't strike up a GR conversation at the pub though. 

Mathematically it's boils down to something quite lovely, although learning everything around it mathematically was a bit a of a struggle (studying Minkovski space/Lorentzian manifolds/Riemann Tensors = not pleasant). 

Not really understanding what is being asked, so I'll end with my favourite Relativity joke.

A student recognizes Einstein in a train and asks:
Excuse me, professor, but does New York stop by this train?

Eeh, by gum.

ThrustJetViperPowerMustang: FX-6100 @4.4GHz (Stock Cooler) / 4x4GB Hyperam @ 1333MHz / OCZ Octane 250GB SSD / Asus HD6670 2GDDR3 / Asus M5A78LM-USB3

wat da fuk?

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M