If You Could Put Your Brain in a Working Human Looking Robot, Would You?

I don't know about that. I'm always a huge believer that everything must end, and should end. It's like that ying yang thing. Life without death seems weird. When I'm 80ish and death is just around the corner, I'd like to look back at my life and reflect on all the things that I've done. Death gives some tranquility in my opinion.

Yeah I see what you're saying. Idk how long a healthy brain would even functionally last. Then again, if such technology to do this were to be invented, I'm sure that by then the brain would be able to be repaired.

I can smell you

I would defiantly opt to have sensory functions, but I think I would only want to have pain to a certain extent, you know?

completely agree I would only want it so I knew if something was wrong, I would want it to work like it hurts more the worse the damage but once I know about the damage I can turn the pain off

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

But... Would I have the powers of like iron man, or crysis?

Idk, that might become a concern for safety and all, you know, with great power comes great responsibility. I wouldn't want anyone to go out of hand with "powers"

I can smell you

What happens if robot bluescreens?

So i would not do that.

You gon have a bad day.

Haha yeah, that would be a concern

I can smell you

I would only do it, if I have the option to kill my self anytime I want.

Ethics dont really matter to me, as life is way too complicated to stick to everlasting rules, at least IMHO.

I dont think that infinite life will be possible, ever. But say like living 200 years or so could be possible in a few decades. I would not see it as an extension of your life, but more of a second, seperate state of being and I could imagine paying all I have saved in my previous live and give it all up for a new one...

There would definitely have to be a "kill switch" of sorts.

Hmm, yeah.

Yeah I'm not too sure about that. Getting the brain to last much longer than it previously has would be quite the challenge, but, then again, if this technology were to even be invented, it would be likely be something that would be researched and possibly made possible (extending the lifespan of the brain). I mean, in theory, if your lifespan was extended long enough and human existence hasn't killed itself off, you might be able to live long enough for something new to be invented that would enable a further expansion of life of the brain (or whatever is keeping you you).

You bring up an interesting point of it being a sort of second life. I'm not sure I entirely agree, but then again I fully understand what your saying. And giving up your previous life possessions for a new life is an interesting concept.

I can smell you

Couldn't my own body be put into life support, just untill I found out if I like it in the robot body? My heart would still be able to function without the brain, and I would just need a machine to breath for me.

That would certainly be interesting. Probably possible to.

I can smell you

Would be just like the movie surrogates. Pretty interesting idea, although makes people do pretty stupid things because they are not "risking" their own flesh. lol

True, people going out of hand would be a concern

I can smell you

a human robot is harder

a customized clone is more possible  than a full robot ( to have full human senses - it will be possible but much further in the future than a clone)

also a full human brain transplant is hard in a clone -using parts of ur brain is less dangerous

there would be alot of psychological effects because u wont recognize ur self anymore not to mention ur actions will differ greatly in ur new body because u wont be ur self anymore

looking into a mind of such a person going through such transition would be mortifying to me

not to mention the social impacts

a person wont be recognized for how he looks anymore

that sounds like a grand idea but look into it deeper

you would really know if any one is who he says he is

life will start looking worthless

But if you cloned and transplanted parts of the brain, would "you" really still be "there"?

Hmm, you bring up some good points...

How would it be mortifying?

The person would still be there, just in a "upgraded" body. Then again such a thing might change a person...

"you would really know if any one is who he says he is" what do you mean?

How would life start to look worthless?

I can smell you

So, what like Ghost in the Shell?

Not sure

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

This whole thing made me think of this

20110801194945!ArmyRobobrain.png

yus

I can smell you

So, what like Ghost in the Shell?

Not sure

No, more like an upgrade to your body... sort of

I can smell you

No, more like an upgrade to your body... sort of

Thought about it,  upgrades to current body or complete replacement either way I still say no.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I have seen mice brains put in small robots. Those brains controlled robots movements.... It was very weird to see it :mellow:

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

I have seen mice brains put in small robots. Those brains controlled robots movements.... It was very weird to see it :mellow:

No way! That's crazy, and awesome

I can smell you

--snip--

Buzzkillington

Way to take the fun out of that and make it depressing.

I'm imaging IRobot bodies with a human brain in them. But a human body would work also. I would defiantly do it. Live forever and never get sick. I have a feeling your brain would deteriorate though. It would have to be preserved while still being active. Don't know how that could be achieved but this whole thing is hypothetical. 

So yes I would 100% do this once I was old enough.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

But if you cloned and transplanted parts of the brain, would "you" really still be "there"?

Hmm, you bring up some good points...

How would it be mortifying?

The person would still be there, just in a "upgraded" body. Then again such a thing might change a person...

"you would really know if any one is who he says he is" what do you mean?

How would life start to look worthless?

yes moving parts of ur brain that hold (most) memories  will be you  ( you arnt copying )

copying ur self will even be a scarier thing i dont want to even think about

in response to your questions

a simple reply is

who are you ?

what are you  is what you have become

your weaknesses, strength and environment has made you who you are today

your body is a history book every scar and bruise is something uve experienced with some one

you will start having sentimental feeling towards your body  in an extreme degree

you will start missing your self  -uve been in that body for decades

a drastic change like a new body will fix these issues in the worst ways

the way we heal our pain in life is through will power

a new body will confuse your inner psyche

some might feel fine but some even with an exact clone of him self will feel like he is dead

life for most people is mortality 

its what drives us to live

if u can just move from body to body mortality will be that voice in ur head

its hard to explain

ive been thinking of this deeply for many years

trying to squeeze it here with my limited vocabulary seems impossible

but i also believe that implants that enhance certain things to an extent wont be detrimental

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I don't enjoy life enough for that, wouldn't want me to live much longer than I would naturally.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

Link

Bam.

CPU - FX 8320 @ 4.8 GHz

| MoBo - Sabertooth 990FX | GPU - XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Ed. @ 1.075 GHz | CPU Cooler - H100 | RAM - 16 GB Dual Channel Vengeance @ 1600 MHz (didn't care to push these...) | OS - Windows 8 Pro | Storage - OCZ Vertex 3 (120 GB Boot), Samsung 830 Pro 64 GB, WD Black 1 TB, some random 320 GB from a laptop | PSU - CM Silent Hybrid Pro 850W (MDPC Sleeving) | Case - 800D | Monitors - ASUS V238H/ X Star DP2710LED | Mouse - M90 Keyboard - CM Quickfire Rapid w/ custom key caps

"When life gives you lemons, Don't make lemonade, make life take the lemons back!" - Cave Johnson, CEO

Depends where this robot was made, if in China hell no I'd be broken in a couple years. :p

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)