1st time builder

GrimboSnipes

You have to ask questions.  I can keep recommending builds at any price range that are valuable in regards to their performance for the price.  Want to spend 12K?  No problem... Every piece of that $12K will have good value for the price... but no gaming PC should ever cost that much, so overall it would be a bad value if just for gaming.

But it won't matter that much if you do not understand why I pick the things I do.  You have to ask questions.

Games are made for the majority of PC users.  Most people don't run $4,000 PCs... they run $1000 PCs... maybe even lower. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($369.99 @ B&H)

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.50 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($154.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($89.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($345.98 @ Newegg)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($649.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($649.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: XFX PRO Black Edition 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($117.99 @ NCIX US)

Monitor: Acer Predator XR341CK 75Hz 34.0" Monitor  ($1011.98 @ Directron)

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($112.05 @ Amazon)

Total: $3637.44

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-29 22:37 EDT-0400

Cases, no real advantage to any of these... well the $300 aluminum is nice.... but it is $300:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011059ww

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011078ww

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011074ww

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/phanteks-case-phes614lwt

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/phanteks-case-phes813pbl

I feel like the 100 dollar case is bigger and roomier. 

Is RAID 0 necessary for something like this?

You have to ask questions.  I can keep recommending builds at any price range that are valuable in regards to their performance for the price.  Want to spend 12K?  No problem... Every piece of that $12K will have good value for the price... but no gaming PC should ever cost that much, so overall it would be a bad value if just for gaming.

But it won't matter that much if you do not understand why I pick the things I do.  You have to ask questions.

Games are made for the majority of PC users.  Most people don't run $4,000 PCs... they run $1000 PCs... maybe even lower. 

I just want to avoid not blowing money if I don't need too. 

Something appealing to the eye that won't hiccup when I run it on max settings.

The cash isn't a problem, but like I said, if I don't need to spend it, i'd prefer not too. 

I feel like the 100 dollar case is bigger and roomier. 

Is RAID 0 necessary for something like this?

The Enthoo Pro is huge and well made.  Comes with great cable management (velcro ribbons), and a fan hub controller that controls up to six fans.

I don't know if you have ever used an SSD before, but they are fast.  You will see an improved boot to windows... but a single SSD can do it in well under 10 seconds.  No benefit in gaming really.

I just want to avoid not blowing money if I don't need too. 

Something appealing to the eye that won't hiccup when I run it on max settings.

The cash isn't a problem, but like I said, if I don't need to spend it, i'd prefer not too. 

Well that $3700 build I listed is pretty much highest end... that monitor is very new.  The 980Ti is the fastest gaming GPU on the market.

But, remember, what I see is you personal gaming enjoyment... if you take the R9 390X build and add a second GPU the cost would be $2600-$2700 or so... your gaming experience would be very similar... but you would lose the ultra widescreen.

I don't know if you have ever used an SSD before, but they are fast.  You will see an improved boot to windows... but a single SSD can do it in well under 10 seconds.  No benefit in gaming really.

This right here. So much fab going on that I see about Raid 0. I have never used an SSD to begin with. Yet I hear about it all the time with Raid 0. These are the mistakes I am trying to avoid.

This right here. So much fab going on that I see about Raid 0. I have never used an SSD to begin with. Yet I hear about it all the time with Raid 0. These are the mistakes I am trying to avoid.

You get twice the speed with RAID 0, but twice the risk of losing your data.  Each drive copies half of the task, so it splits the work.  When it reads, each drive is responsible for doing half the job resulting in 2x the speed.  But if a drive fails... all the data is gone.

Have a lot of money to spend? This would be a fantastic build.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($91.98 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($85.50 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Crucial MX200 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($174.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($299.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury 4GB Tri-X Video Card  ($529.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($89.88 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Asus MG279Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($579.99 @ B&H) 
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($149.24 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2699.07
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-29 23:27 EDT-0400

Of course you can make the M.2 SSD smaller and swap out that 1TB SSD for an SSD for cost savings. The Fury's 4GB HBM should have no problem gaming at 1440P and games won't choke it. Its like 100 dollars cheaper than a Fury X and performs nearly the same. 

@

There are two versions of that ultra wide ACER monitor... one is Freesync(for AMD cards), the other Gsync(for Nvidia cards).  Don't buy the wrong one =D.

@GrimboSnipes

There are two versions of that ultra wide ACER monitor... one is Freesync(for AMD cards), the other Gsync(for Nvidia cards).  Don't buy the wrong one =D.

Yea, that might be good to know lol

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($369.99 @ B&H)

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.50 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($154.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($89.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($345.98 @ Newegg)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: XFX PRO Black Edition 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($117.99 @ NCIX US)

Monitor: Acer Predator XR341CK 75Hz 34.0" Monitor  ($1011.98 @ Directron)

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($112.05 @ Amazon)

Total: $3637.44

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-29 22:37 EDT-0400

Cases, no real advantage to any of these... well the $300 aluminum is nice.... but it is $300:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011059ww

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011078ww

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011074ww

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/phanteks-case-phes614lwt

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/phanteks-case-phes813pbl

Why the Asus 980 ti?

I would've guessed MSI 980 ti would be the way to go....

Why the Asus 980 ti?

I would've guessed MSI 980 ti would be the way to go....

The MSI is fine too.  ASUS has made some bad coolers for GPUs, the 980Ti is not one of them.

If you really want the top 980Tis... be prepared to pay a lot more than $700... but those are for massive clocks.

The MSI is fine too.  ASUS has made some bad coolers for GPUs, the 980Ti is not one of them.

If you really want the top 980Tis... be prepared to pay a lot more than $700... but those are for massive clocks.

I'm not really a big fan of overclocking to begin with, IMO i think it just reduces the lifespan of your hardware which is something I choose not to do. Plus I'm not a big fan of the 980 ti lightning. Yellow is not my color...

Another silly question I have is, why the Gigabyte motherboard? If I go the ASUS GPU route, wouldn't I want to go the same with ASUS MOBO?

I'm not really a big fan of overclocking to begin with, IMO i think it just reduces the lifespan of your hardware which is something I choose not to do. Plus I'm not a big fan of the 980 ti lightning. Yellow is not my color...

Another silly question I have is, why the Gigabyte motherboard? If I go the ASUS GPU route, wouldn't I want to go the same with ASUS MOBO?

The motherboard brand has no performance impact on the GPU brand, or vice-versa.

I picked that board as it is a good mix of looks and performance, and it has the metal PCI-E sockets.  Performance-wise, the $100 Z170 boards will perform the same as a $200 one... they just look worse.

The motherboard brand has no performance impact on the GPU brand, or vice-versa.

I picked that board as is a good mix of looks and performance, and it has the metal PCI-E sockets.  Performance-wise, the $100 Z170 boards will perform the same as a $200 one... they just look worse.

*Nodding*.....

Cooling wise, do I need to worry bout the temp on these cards down the road, or is the stock cooler on them good as is?

*Nodding*.....

Cooling wise, do I need to worry bout the temp on these cards down the road, or is the stock cooler on them good as is?

Going SLI means you will have extra heat than just running one GPU... the extra heat has to be combated with a fast fresh air intake/hot air exhaust cycle.

They just recently did a video on this....1 sec.  To answer your question, I would not worry.

Going SLI means you will have extra heat than just running one GPU... the extra heat has to be combated with a fast fresh air intake/hot air exhaust cycle.

They just recently did a video on this....1 sec.  To answer your question, I would not worry.

So one on the top PCI and one on the bottom PCI is what I'm getting from this.

Should I bother with extra fans or jus go as is?

So one on the top PCI and one on the bottom PCI is what I'm getting from this.

Should I bother with extra fans or jus go as is?

Just that there will be an increase in heat, the closer you put the cards together.  Make sure the mobo has adequate spacing between PCI-E slots.

To start, you can go with the stock fan setup... if the temps start to worry you, then you can look into more fans.