SLI Support?

Go to solution Solved by Fgtfv567,

Wait until DirectX 12 allows more flexible multi-card configs before you buy the 960. Your motherboard might have to support SLI when DirectX 12 pops up, but I don't know

As of now, no. Your mobo will let you do SLI, but you can only put another 970 in there because you have a 970 right now. Or buy 2 960s to SLI, but you have a 970, so don't do that.

Edit: I've updated my Compatibility guide (In the signature) for multi-GPU setups like SLI. It's under Data, GPU, Multi-GPU setups

Hi guys, 

I built my PC a while back and I have this mobo: http://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/Z97-G43-GAMING.html#hero-overview

I have a GTX 970 and someone is offering me a GTX 960 for free. Does this mobo support SLI and can I run a GTX 970 and GTX 960 in SLI?

Thanks alot!

Xenofen

For your first question, it doesn't because the second slot is only Gen 2, x4. This is enough for CrossFire but not SLI.

For your second question, you can only SLI identical GPUs so no.

Sig under construction.

you cant sli a 960 and 970

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

you can't SLI 960 with 970

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Doesn't look like you can SLI with that MOBO, and I don't think a 960 will SLI with a 970.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Wait until DirectX 12 allows more flexible multi-card configs before you buy the 960. Your motherboard might have to support SLI when DirectX 12 pops up, but I don't know

As of now, no. Your mobo will let you do SLI, but you can only put another 970 in there because you have a 970 right now. Or buy 2 960s to SLI, but you have a 970, so don't do that.

Edit: I've updated my Compatibility guide (In the signature) for multi-GPU setups like SLI. It's under Data, GPU, Multi-GPU setups

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

No it won't, it only supports Crossfire. DX12 will allow developers to enable multi GPU usage, but why would any developer waste development time on that?

No it won't, it only supports Crossfire. DX12 will allow developers to enable multi GPU usage, but why would any developer waste development time on that?

Huh, thought all Z-series boards could do SLI, guess I was wrong

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Huh, thought all Z-series boards could do SLI, guess I was wrong

Nope, AMD isn't as strict about the use of Crossfire as Nvidea is about SLI. The reason is you have to have a external bridge to SLI, but some crossfire configurations (290,290x,390,390x) bridge through the board. I have a 290 and 390 in crossfire, both work at their perspective memories and clocks. BUT SLI is much more reliable in the results it gets because of Nvidea being more careful with how it is done.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/473934-geforce-radeon-directx-12-multi-adapter-with-ashes-of-the-singularity/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Hi guys, 

I built my PC a while back and I have this mobo: http://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/Z97-G43-GAMING.html#hero-overview

I have a GTX 970 and someone is offering me a GTX 960 for free. Does this mobo support SLI and can I run a GTX 970 and GTX 960 in SLI?

Thanks alot!

Xenofen

no you cant, take the 960, sell it sell ur current mobo and save a bit and buy a new sli mobo and another 970, or just sell the 960 and have some cash for the future

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread !