RIVE / OS not detecting 850 Evo 1tb

Issue | Getting a Samsung 850 Evo 1tb to register in the BIOS/Windows on a RIVE mobo with latest BIOS.

So I should have asked this a long time ago honestly cause I have just had this drive sitting in my case not doing anything, figured an upgrade would help out later on.  But with the upgrade to Windows 10, I figured I would help a friend out and give him one of my 120gb SSDs and just try the 1tb SSD again.  I guess it wasn't meant to be, after plugging it in again it showed one time in the BIOS and I thought it would stick.  But ever since then, it won't show up in any shape or form.  I've tried changing BIOS changes to SATA devices, resetting power and SATA cables, changing ports for the drive, etc and it just will not register in the BIOS or the OS itself.

I've already had to RMA this drive once to Newegg cause I thought it was faulty, I never thought to RMA it again so much later after the problems didn't change before.  I've also had to RMA this mobo 3 times, I gave up trying to get a completely working RIVE after the last time (Mainly USB issues and false RAM BSODs).  The system would hang (when it was actually detected), I would get random BSODs in Win 8.1, and on random resets it would stop showing up in the BIOS once again.  So I decided to just unplug it and leave it be like I said before not thinking anything of it until I did the upgrade so I could give my Vertex 3 120gb drive to one of my friends.  I've been working with computers for around 15 years and have never come across something like this, I'm at a complete loss for how to go about fixing this.  Any suggestions from people who might of had the same problem, or know what might be going on? 

CPU :: 3930k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard :: Rampage Extreme IV
RAM :: 64Gb Corsair Vengeance
GPU :: EVGA 980 GTX
Storage :: 2x 120Gb SSDs | 2Tb Seagate | 4Tb WD (Trying to replace a 120gb SSD with the 1tb)
PSU :: Corsair AX860
Sound :: SoundBlaster Z

Have you tried to use the ssd through USB to format it or see if it is even recognised? Try using Samsung Magician to see if it detects the ssd too.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Have you tried to use the ssd through USB to format it or see if it is even recognised? Try using Samsung Magician to see if it detects the ssd too.

Sadly don't have an SSD to USB adapter, and don't feel like taking apart my "newer" external drives to use them for that purpose for obvious reasons.  Samsung Magician doesn't detect it, and when it did before I was able to update the firmware thinking that was the problem, but again it wasn't.

RIVE has basically three controllers

one to control SATAII - black ports

one for SATA III - red ports

another for SATA III - bottom most red ports using a asmedia controller.

the driver for the asmedia controller needs to be installed for OS use.

another is to verify in the UEFI detection. since it appeared and disappeared lends

to bad power/connection, bad cable/connection or controller error.

i had the same situation using a kingston SATA II SSD and came down to cable.

yes 2 and 3 version cables are the same, but i could only use a SATA II cable to

make it recognizable. quirky, but solved.

[update]

are you using any BLCK overclock? if so, remove BLCK overdrive and retest.

RIVE has basically three controllers

one to control SATAII - black ports

one for SATA III - red ports

another for SATA III - bottom most red ports using a asmedia controller.

the driver for the asmedia controller needs to be installed for OS use.

another is to verify in the UEFI detection. since it appeared and disappeared lends

to bad power/connection, bad cable/connection or controller error.

i had the same situation using a kingston SATA II SSD and came down to cable.

yes 2 and 3 version cables are the same, but i could only use a SATA II cable to

make it recognizable. quirky, but solved.

[update]

are you using any BLCK overclock? if so, remove BLCK overdrive and retest.

Yea back when I first messed with this the AsMedia drivers were crap so I avoided them at all costs.  I currently have it hooked up to the same "working" cables as I had my Vertex 3 120gb on, which was on one of the 2 red Intel controlled ports.  Same cables and everything, I know for a fact they work since I've been using that Vertex 3 since I got it.

And no don't have my CPU OCd due to this particular board having some terrible power delivery, it's out of warranty so can't send it in for anymore replacements for free.  I have my 2 HDD's hooked up to the 2 SATA II black ports run by the Intel controller.

EDIT: My first post has my CPU @ 4.5Ghz, I copy pasted that info from my PC specs back when I had a board that could OC.  I'm running everything stock with this board though, sorry about the confusion.

Bump before bed, anymore suggestions are appreciated!

Bump :(

try it in another pc..with different cables

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

try it in another pc..with different cables

Yea tried multiple different cables that I had laying around, as well as the power connector and still no detection.  I tried 2 laptops, it worked twice in my old G75 (was intermittent).  And tried 3 other computers, one that was just collecting dust, at least 8 different ports on these boards and only had about a 40% success rate.  Like I said, this is the second 850 Evo 1tb I have had and the other had the same problems. 

I'll punch this down to another DOA SSD as much as I don't want it to be, I'll try and sweet talk Newegg into another RMA after so much time has passed.  That or just get a refund for what I paid and get something better (doubtful).

Sorry to bother ya with this, for sure thought it was the mobo considering it worked on other computers, including mine, a few times before.

Yea tried multiple different cables that I had laying around, as well as the power connector and still no detection.  I tried 2 laptops, it worked twice in my old G75 (was intermittent).  And tried 3 other computers, one that was just collecting dust, at least 8 different ports on these boards and only had about a 40% success rate.  Like I said, this is the second 850 Evo 1tb I have had and the other had the same problems. 

I'll punch this down to another DOA SSD as much as I don't want it to be, I'll try and sweet talk Newegg into another RMA after so much time has passed.  That or just get a refund for what I paid and get something better (doubtful).

Sorry to bother ya with this, for sure thought it was the mobo considering it worked on other computers, including mine, a few times before.

what I do in these cases is buy a new part....wait a few days..then return the broken piece as the new piece..and get my money back

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile