How to SLI with unequal amounts of V-ram!

Hey guys not too long ago I posted for help with trying to get my sli to work with my gpu's and I have finally found a way to do it. Its by using coolbits. You have probably heard of it but if not today I am going to show how to use it!

*Note: you don't need cool the coolbit software in order to sli with different ram!

Lets get started!

1. First of all make sure all your hardware is compatible for sli. I'm obviously talking about your motherboard, PSU, etc. also make sure that you have the same gpu (ex. 760 with 760, 770 with 770 etc.)

2. Next, go ahead and plug in your gpu and your sli bridge.

3. Once that is done jump over to NVIDIA's website where you can the latest drivers. http://www.geforce.com/drivers I used the scan method because I found it to be the best way to find the drivers I need without accidentally installing wrong ones. Also be sure to do a clean install, this can be performed by clicking the custom method and checking the box.

4. Once the drivers are installed go ahead and give your pc a good restart.

This is where things get a bit tricky.

5. First start "run" by pressing the windows key+r or simply look it up in the search bar.

6. Once that is performed type in "regedit" without quotes. Then press "yes".

7. If you see tons of folders, that means you're at the right place.

Find HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak\ By using the drop down arrows. Left click on the "NVTweak" folder. http://puu.sh/l1upB/5b9f7e0b66.png

8. Next, right click in any of the blank space, hover over new then click "DWORD (32-bit) Value"

9. For the name, name it "Coolbits" then press enter.

10. Next, right click on it and then click on modify. For the value type in "18" with no quotes.

11. Press "OK" and restart your computer. When your computer boots go ahead and jump into the nvidia control panel.

12. If you see the option under "3D Settings" that says "Configure SLI, Surround, PhysX" then you're in a good position! If you don't leave a reply and me as well as the Linus community will try to help.

13. Go ahead and jump into the "Configure SLI..." tab and tick the circle that says "Maximize 3D performance"

14. Next go into the "Manage 3D settings" tab. Under the "Global Settings" tab scroll down and find "SLI rendering mode" press the arrow down, and click on "Force alternate frame rendering 2" This step is optional!

15. Next restart your computer again and you should have sli working!

Guys please don't go out and purchase 2 separate cards intentionally. This is probably not the most reliable thing to do but it worked for my current situation and I have no idea how with will work for other cards. I have 2 gtx 760's by gigabyte. One a 2gb model and one 4gb model.

I hope this really helped!

Edited by Matt_Park

Does this make your 4GB card only use 2GB, or what happens to your VRAM usage? I don't need it, but great post also, this will help many.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Does this make your 4GB card only use 2GB, or what happens to your VRAM usage? I don't need it, but great post also, this will help many.

I'd think that it limits the card to 2GB

I'd think that it limits the card to 2GB

It would have to go with the lower amount otherwise the card will run out of memory and go into a page file on the HDD and be slow as hell or just crash completely.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Even though I believe that it downgrades to 2. My gta 5 settings said that I had a max of 4gb.

are you the person that had a 2gb and a 4gb 760 ? 

edit: oh you are ok cool, glad u got it working

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

are you the person that had a 2gb and a 4gb 760 ?

edit: oh you are ok cool, glad u got it working

Yes lol

Nice tutorial but the title needs to be changed. I thought your talking about different ram as in Kingston and Corsair.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

This post should probably be called: How to sli two GPU's with unequal amounts of V-ram.

On it!

Nice tutorial but the title needs to be changed. I thought your talking about different ram as in Kingston and Corsair.

Sorry for the misunderstanding