Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Compared to Sennheiser HD598?

theninja35
Go to solution Solved by SSL,

About $200 (is my hope). I have seen that someone recommended the DT990s, but I haven't looked too much into those.

The DT990s could work, they are open like the 598. However, they have more upper bass than sub bass like the 770.

Recently, I've been forming a Christmas List (please ignore the fact it is 2 months away), and my most preferred gift would be a set of headphones. I am hoping that the possibility is around the $200 range (w/out any extras), so I am aiming for either the ATH-M50x's or the HD598s.

The problem is, no matter where I look, I can't get a clear concept of the two when compared to each other. I use my headphones for gaming, TeamSpeak/Skype, and listening to music, like EDM (mostly Melbourne Bounce), some classic rock, and occasionally orchestral stuff. I have heard the HD598s are very immersive, especially compared to the M50x's, for gaming and orchestral. This is a very great plus for me as I game for hours a day. I have heard they are very comfortable, much more so than the M50x's, as well.

The M50x's, however, seem to be good for EDM and rock (large bass), but lack the sound-stage and immersion that the HD598s have (and don't forget the 598's beauty). This is a plus for me, as I listen to music almost as much as I game. I have also heard that they are not very comfortable for long use, but they are very rugged and will not break easily. That kind of stops me and leans me more towards the 598s.

BUT, I cannot decide. That's where you guys come in, to give me experience and pros/cons. So far, I have this list:

Positives of the HD598s:

-Great immersion for gaming and orchestral music due to open-back style and fantastic sound stage

-Comfortable for many hours

-Beautiful, absolutely gorgeous

Negatives of the HD598s:

-Poor bass, losing EDM quality

Positives of the M50x's:

-Fantastic bass for EDM

-Very rugged

-Nice style (appearance wise)

Negatives of the M50x's:

-Poor immersion and sound stage

-Not so comfortable after several hours of usage

Now, I understand the M50x's have more negatives. However, they are supposedly fantastic for EDM, which I like. 

I will also be pairing my headphones with a FiiO E10k. I think that this should and will solve the bass problem on the 598s, which will easily make them the winner. What do you guys think? The reason I have chosen this amp is that it is not as costly but I have seen many good reviews on it.

I understand this is a generic question (similar to 390 vs 970), but please, bear with me.

The ATH-M40X is a much better option for the price compared to the M50X, they're essentially the same thing. 

The ATH-M40X is a much better option for the price compared to the M50X, they're essentially the same thing. 

Lots of people report that they have a bit less bass, though.

OP, what is the budget? There may be a better headphone that will satisfy. The DT770 comes to mind, from Beyerdynamic.

The Fiio does have a bass boost, I'm not sure whether or not that will really turn the 598 into an EDM beast. Maybe.

Lots of people report that they have a bit less bass, though.

OP, what is the budget? There may be a better headphone that will satisfy. The DT770 comes to mind, from Beyerdynamic.

The Fiio does have a bass boost, I'm not sure whether or not that will really turn the 598 into an EDM beast. Maybe.

About $200 (is my hope). I have seen that someone recommended the DT990s, but I haven't looked too much into those.

The DT990s could work, they are open like the 598. However, they have more upper bass than sub bass like the 770.

Would the 770s be good even if the song had little bass/dedication to bass? I will look more into those as well as the 990s.

I don't want too much bass, though I would like a "punch", or feel from it.

Would the 770s be good even if the song had little bass/dedication to bass? I will look more into those as well as the 990s.

I don't want too much bass, though I would like a "punch", or feel from it.

Yes.

Ah one more thing, sorry for the double post.

Compared to the Razer Krakens, how much more or less bass do the 598s have?

I don't know. I would guess less but it is probably cleaner either way. The 598 doesn't have heavily boosted bass, it is probably slightly warmer than neutral.

I don't know. I would guess less but it is probably cleaner either way. The 598 doesn't have heavily boosted bass, it is probably slightly warmer than neutral.

Okay, well I suppose any of these choices is going to be better than my current headphones (Kraken Pro).

Okay, well I suppose any of these choices is going to be better than my current headphones (Kraken Pro).

Having switched from a Kraken Pro to a HD 598 I can tell you that the HD 598 is much, much better than the Kraken Pro. It has a bit less bass, but it sound a lot cleaner. The kraken sounds really muddy compared to it.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Having switched from a Kraken Pro to a HD 598 I can tell you that the HD 598 is much, much better than the Kraken Pro. It has a bit less bass, but it sound a lot cleaner. The kraken sounds really muddy compared to it.

Sounds great! I think the FiiO will slightly help with bass if I get the 598s, but SSL has got me hooked on the DT990s now. And it's such a hard choice for me to make, but I may go with the 990s. I just don't know.