Windows is telling me my product key isnt activated after installing new motherboard and CPU

Profoundsoup

The error says my key has been blocked....what the fuck does this mean?? All I did was install a new motherboard and CPU...

Too bad... Call Microsoft about your situation... Windows does that now...

Too bad... Call Microsoft about your situation... Windows does that now...

What does it do? All I did was install new hardware.....

It could have been an OEM key, and even if it is not, it's always best to do a fresh windows install after changing the motherboard.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

What does it do? All I did was install new hardware.....

it ties the key to your motherboard when it activates, if its a retail key try calling ms and see if they will give you a new key or unlock it 

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

it ties the key to your motherboard when it activates, if its a retail key try calling ms and see if they will give you a new key or unlock it 

What in the good fuck......I dont even.....what...? Ughhhh

What in the good fuck......I dont even.....what...? Ughhhh

its how they enable people to do clean installs of windows 10 without needing to go through 7/8 then upgrading again you can clean install and it just auto detects and activates

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

I had the same issue, call Microsoft. For me at least, they fixed it within 30 minutes. Although you shouldn't have to do that because it's a stupid policy, the support was great, and they fixed it in a timely manner.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

I had the same issue, call Microsoft. For me at least, they fixed it within 30 minutes. Although you shouldn't have to do that because it's a stupid policy, the support was great, and they fixed it in a timely manner.

On the phone with a new person now. The first person told me I had to buy another copy of windows.......I said fuck that Im not playing another $200. So now im talking to someone new

I had this happen too; new mobo on a Windows 10 Pro install, said the key was blocked.  When I called, I told them what I did and they did a LogMeIn remote session, checked a particular log file on my machine which logs activation status and was able to see that it was activated before, and then provided me with a new key to type in.

Sounds like OEM key. If you can't get it to active, well too bad. You just have to suck it up and spend some cold cash.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

When doing an upgrade, your Windows 10 license is based on the license of your previous version of Windows. The reply on the following post provides more details on the differences between licenses:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/will-upgrading-motherboard-after-upgrading-to/a26e93c4-6886-4b44-99cf-7bf49ccba6ee?auth=1

You should check to see if your licence is OEM or Retail. You can see this in System Properties:

windows-7-system-control-panel.png

The Product ID will contain "OEM" if it is an OEM key, otherwise it is a retail licence.

OEM licences are tied to the motherboard at activation and cannot be transferred. If this is the case you will have to buy a new licence for the new motherboard.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."