Thoughts on the Assassin's Creed Series

I am looking into getting into the Assassin's Creed series. I have a few questions about it. Firstly, is the storyline of the series continuous from one game to the next? I have been hesitant to google that to avoid spoilers. Then if each game does have a standalone storyline, which game would be the best one for me to start with? Please bear in mind I have an older processor and a low-mid range graphics card.

If the storyline is continuous between games, is it worth playing the game purely for the story? And if I were to play the games out of order, would that create spoilers? Also, I am rather limited for money. I am a student and can't justify the cost of games which will only last me a limited amount of play time. As such, most of my gaming experience has been with free games and games like Pokemon, because it had a long storyline and strong replayability. Do the Assassin's Creed series of games have similarly long play times?

Thanks, ~ShaolinBear

I am looking into getting into the Assassin's Creed series. I have a few questions about it. Firstly, is the storyline of the series continuous from one game to the next? I have been hesitant to google that to avoid spoilers. Then if each game does have a standalone storyline, which game would be the best one for me to start with? Please bear in mind I have an older processor and a low-mid range graphics card.

If the storyline is continuous between games, is it worth playing the game purely for the story? And if I were to play the games out of order, would that create spoilers? Also, I am rather limited for money. I am a student and can't justify the cost of games which will only last me a limited amount of play time. As such, most of my gaming experience has been with free games and games like Pokemon, because it had a long storyline and strong replayability. Do the Assassin's Creed series of games have similarly long play times?

Thanks, ~ShaolinBear

hi

i just finished part 2 and the "addons" and look forward for part 3

until now they follow the storyline and continue from one to the next and they do in part 3 too

the story is nice and you'll hear many famous names of history ;)

if you want to "catch em all" (all the collectable flags etc.) in assasins creed it takes some time

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

It's the same guy through various generations, but also not the same guy as of course he does and comes back as a new person.

Is the story the same? No.  Is the plot the same?  Sorta.  The gameplay is mostly the same though, so there's that.   

So is it worth starting at AC 1? Or another one in the series?

If you want the plot to make sense star on 1, but be warned!  The second your horse dies...tons of walking which is annoying.   :D

So, buy the first one? What sort of settings can i expect on a 960/Core 2 Quad?

It's a 2007 game, so a 960 destroys it.

Oops yeah of course. On the otherhand, I have a 2007 CPU... so...

Being somewhat new to PC gaming, is there an advantage to buying the directors cut edition? I can't actually find a version that isn't the directors cut on steam.

More missions...that's like it.  "4 new types of secondary missions"

Thanks for all your help. Off topic question, does marking your answer as the solution do anything apart from showing the thread as solved?

If you want the plot to make sense star on 1, but be warned! The second your horse dies...tons of walking which is annoying. :D

+1 dont let that hirse die, you will regret it.

i tried playing the first one, hated it and gave up.

Played the 3rd one, and liked it.

Played the 4th one, which was fantastic.

Playing the second currently.

Wont go near Unity, and watching a walkthrough of Syndicate

Looking for a job

SNIP

There are 2 stories to AC, there is the game specific story, then there is the overarching story  which connects the game

this is strongest between AC 1-3,and takes a turn for 4 onwards (not played unity or syndicate yet)

I say just work through them all, the overaching story is what kept me interested and the history is fun

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

As a person who has played every AC to date let me say something. The old ones were better until it became a yearly thing. Everyone got bored of it just like they did CoD and lost a few fans. I think Ubisoft should stop worrying about days to release and work on a perfect game instead

I always felt the "Historical game" part of the AC series should have stood on its own. The background sci-fi trope should have been left on the cutting room floor.

I absolutely loved AC1 except when it yanked out of the fun world into the "okay it's time for Dr. Horrible to ask you some questions." If they focused on the history and the rich content they can draw from, instead of using a crowbar to jimmy a huge overarching illuminati plot unto the subtext I think it would have been better. But that's just me.

Personally I think the entire series has been relatively steady in the core parts. Unity was only a mess thanks to some bad additions and poor port performance; as an AC game it is quite enjoyable and the setting is fantastic. Although the single sprawling city does feel like a huge step back after Black Flag.

AC 3 is very underrated, it's not as ambitious as Brotherhood (which is technically 3 but treated more as AC 2 Part 2) but it has a lot of excellent improvements and the actual historical storyline is very well done.

No matter where you start it is an excellent series even with all the flaws.

I'm reserving judgement for Syndicate until after it releases.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

i tried playing the first one, hated it and gave up.

Played the 3rd one, and liked it.

Played the 4th one, which was fantastic.

Playing the second currently.

Wont go near Unity, and watching a walkthrough of Syndicate

personally i hated Black Flag.. they took a minigame(that i didnt touch) from the previous game, and made an entire game out of it.

Unity is actually really good. i didnt have any major graphics issues either, except horrendous pop in.  and i got Syndicate for free so ill be playing that when it comes out.  I still need to get Rogue though, since ive heard nothing but good things about it. and maybe Liberation for the sake of having it.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

There are 2 stories to AC, there is the game specific story, then there is the overarching story  which connects the game

this is strongest between AC 1-3,and takes a turn for 4 onwards (not played unity or syndicate yet)

I say just work through them all, the overaching story is what kept me interested and the history is fun

So you would recommend working through them in order?

They seem to have released so many spin off versions it is hard to work out the proper play order.

I always felt the "Historical game" part of the AC series should have stood on its own. The background sci-fi trope should have been left on the cutting room floor.

I always wanted something different see how the story with Desmond started developing bewtween 1 and 3, and in 3 there were modern parts, I was hoping it would become a modern day game for number 4 and then end the series with a twist 

So you would recommend working through them in order?

They seem to have released so many spin off versions it is hard to work out the proper play order.

what spin offs?

AC1, AC2, (brotherhood + revelations) AC3, AC4, (Rogue), Unity, Syndicate

(brackets are minor titles/expansions)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

what spin offs?

AC1, AC2, (brotherhood + revelations) AC3, AC4, (Rogue), Unity, Syndicate

(brackets are minor titles/expansions)

Maybe spinoffs isn't the right word. But by looking at their website, there seem to be many games outside the main series.

Maybe spinoffs isn't the right word. But by looking at their website, there seem to be many games outside the main series.

There are like mobile games, and card games and stuff, they dont count

Its AC 1, 2, 3, 4 unity, syndicate

there are 2 expansions to 2, rogue is a side game

• 2 weeks later...

When the game doesn't run  like a piece of shit then well they are quite interesting and enjoyable. Also, they cannot change save game progression which really sucks because i was stuck in AS:Unity in dead kings dlc when I went there by accident and they couldn't help me.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

There are like mobile games, and card games and stuff, they dont count

Its AC 1, 2, 3, 4 unity, syndicate

there are 2 expansions to 2, rogue is a side game

Perhaps ShaolinBear is referring to Liberations and Freedom Cry, which are standalone DLCs.

Arc Midi R2 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Intel i5 4690k | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair H80 | Crucial M4 128gb | 8gb 1333 Mushkin Silverline | EVGA G2 750

Filko Ninja TKL Cherry MX Black | Mionix Naos | Fiio e10k | Edifier S330D | Sennheiser HD558 | Blue Snowball | Asus PA238QR | Samsung BX2250

Perhaps ShaolinBear is referring to Liberations and Freedom Cry, which are standalone DLCs.

I'm not sure whether he answered my question or not, but as long as it doesn't affect the main storyline of the games it doesn't matter to me much. I downloaded the first game, and am about half way through.