Microphone shock mounts?

Extrememining
Go to solution Solved by Guest Ranterbach,

The point of a shock mount in your use-case is to prevent vibrations on the desk from being transferred up the stand and being picked up by the microphone itself. Common examples of unwanted vibrations would include: you setting things on your desk, tapping your fingers on the desk, sliding things across the desk, and (big one) hammering away on your keyboard. Without a shock mount, every time you type something the people on the other end of your Skype call will hear a noise like someone is thumping their skull. 

In essence, the shock mount isolates the microphone from external vibrations. 

As a general tip for condenser mics (and mics in general), I strongly suggest you purchase a boom arm. The best way to combat background noises being picked up by the mic is to turn it down. This means that your face needs to be about 3 inches from the mic. I use a standard round pop filter with my AT2020, and the tip of my nose is in contact with the upper rim of the pop filter when I'm speaking. I keep the mic volume in my VoIP clients low enough that my voice is transmitted at an appropriate volume when my nose is touching the pop filter, but background noises are not picked up. 

do shock mount actually help with mic quality. i have just bought my first stand up mic and i was wondering if i should get a shock mount and what it does.

if you dont move your mic or bump shit around you really dont need one. they do not help with voice quality at all. 

if you dont move your mic or bump shit around you really dont need one. they do not help with voice quality at all. 

thanks defiantly going to get one then! i have 2 dogs and a cat running around my office a lot.  :)

A shock mount is mainly to reduce the camera's vibrations (shutter, zoom, AF) or any vibrations from where the mic is mounted.  To improve voice quality, such as when you are holding the mic close to the speaker's mouth and their breathing gets recorded, you need a wind cover/screen to reduce the noise.

What kind of mic do you have?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Foam screens

51EGGktjZyL._SY300_.jpg

Dead cats

0q3pu.jpg

Blockers

windscreen_disc.jpg

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

A shock mount is mainly to reduce the camera's vibrations (shutter, zoom, AF) or any vibrations from where the mic is mounted.  To improve voice quality, such as when you are holding the mic close to the speaker's mouth and their breathing gets recorded, you need a wind cover/screen to reduce the noise.

What kind of mic do you have?

i an getting a cheap condenser mic about £20

i an getting a cheap condenser mic

Make sure you get a good one, that will also determine quality.  And the shape of the microphone will determine what sort of shock mounts and wind screens/blockers can be attached.

Make sure you get a good one, that will also determine quality.  And the shape of the microphone will determine what sort of shock mounts and wind screens/blockers can be attached.

thanks might get a dead cat to put on it

thanks might get a dead cat to put on it

just kill the one in your office.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

The point of a shock mount in your use-case is to prevent vibrations on the desk from being transferred up the stand and being picked up by the microphone itself. Common examples of unwanted vibrations would include: you setting things on your desk, tapping your fingers on the desk, sliding things across the desk, and (big one) hammering away on your keyboard. Without a shock mount, every time you type something the people on the other end of your Skype call will hear a noise like someone is thumping their skull. 

In essence, the shock mount isolates the microphone from external vibrations. 

As a general tip for condenser mics (and mics in general), I strongly suggest you purchase a boom arm. The best way to combat background noises being picked up by the mic is to turn it down. This means that your face needs to be about 3 inches from the mic. I use a standard round pop filter with my AT2020, and the tip of my nose is in contact with the upper rim of the pop filter when I'm speaking. I keep the mic volume in my VoIP clients low enough that my voice is transmitted at an appropriate volume when my nose is touching the pop filter, but background noises are not picked up.