Some New Parts for an Old PC

My mom has this old HP PC currently.  All she does is some basic browsing (saving and viewing of images, social media).  Even after a good dusting of the internals, some software cleanup, and a few runs at the 'ol disk defrag, it's still running pretty slow for her. 

It's currently housing an Intel Core 2400S (quad core) processor clocked at 2.4 GHz and 6GB of dual-channel RAM.

Rather than buying a whole new computer, I want to buy her a new RAM kit and processor.  The processor socket needs to be LGA 1155, and the RAM needs to be a kit of dual-channel 8GB (2x4GB) DDR 3 RAM.

What are your hardware suggestions for the kind of browsing she's doing?

You don't need to replace either or.

Just get an SSD and a clean install of Windows.

I agree, if you were to upgrade the processor it would have to be something like an i7 2600 which isn't really worth the extra ~$200, and adding 2 more gigs of RAM wouldn't help much. Just buy a new SSD or save up for a new PC.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home