NVIDIA Gameworks?

Made In Canada

HBAO+ looks incredible ingame, it makes a big difference in visual quality in Witcher 3, for example. I usually would rather have the extra couple of fps, especially when Witcher 3 struggles to stay above 60 fps on my 970, but the lighting is so far superior with HBAO+ that enabling it is a must with an Nvidia GPU. The rest of the GameWorks stuff I usually turn off, though sometimes the soft shadows are worth it too I guess when you're not cpu bound.

If you can, you should get the 970 over the 780 Ti. Check how much better Witcher 3 performs on a 970:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

The 5-8 fps would be nice however, are you sure thats correct?  Im just suprised the 970 beat the 780ti by that much (i make it sound like alot but its not really, i say it though because they are both usually very close cards).

The Canadian Version Of Everything

-Made In Canada

What? Does that mean sold out or something?

Last I checked Newegg and Amazon were out, I think Walmart had one but they're overpriced.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

The 5-8 fps would be nice however, are you sure thats correct?  Im just suprised the 970 beat the 780ti by that much (i make it sound like alot but its not really, i say it though because they are both usually very close cards).

5-8 fps is a lot and hugely noticeable to me. I mean that's the difference between the 960 and 780 Ti at ultra. It was even worse in earlier versions of the game.

Maybe things have improved at version 1.10 now. But Nvidia GPUs don't age as well as AMD's seem to. The 780 Ti used to be about as powerful as the 980 a year ago just after launch. But in the last year it has dropped to being about on par with the 970 and 290x. If you get a real deal the 780 Ti is an awesome GPU, but if it's not significantly cheaper I would go with a nice 970.

Hmm, the 780 Ti has made up a lot of ground in Witcher 3 1.10 now, at least in the new DLC where this benchmark was done. Not too bad a bump up for the 780 and 780 Ti.

I gotta recant what I said. It seems like the 780 Ti is starting to become the better GPU again, probably due in no small part to the flak they were getting a few months ago when they were accused of kneecapping Kepler GPUs in the drivers. They must have been, because since then the 780 Ti looks to be taking it's rightful place above the 970 again in new games.

So I have to make a complete 180 and say to get the 780 Ti unless the 970 is significantly cheaper.

Hmm, the 780 Ti has made up a lot of ground in Witcher 3 1.10 now, at least in the new DLC where this benchmark was done. Not too bad a bump up for the 780 and 780 Ti.

^ This is what i was looking for.

-Made In Canada

I gotta recant what I said. It seems like the 780 Ti is starting to become the better GPU again, probably due in no small part to the flak they were getting a few months ago when they were accused of kneecapping Kepler GPUs in the drivers. They must have been, because since then the 780 Ti looks to be taking it's rightful place above the 970 again in new games.

So I have to make a complete 180 and say to get the 780 Ti unless the 970 is significantly cheaper.

Welcome to 780ti-land where the rides beat the rest for the price! (if you know what i mean).

Anyway, Thank You for the laugh (in a friendly, no-offence way) and making me know ive still made/making a good choice.

Edited by Made In Canada

-Made In Canada

Thank You Everyone Who Helped, Sorry If I Did Not Like Or Mark Solve Your Post, I Just Picked One To Possibly Help People In The Future.

Thank You Again.

Edited by Made In Canada

-Made In Canada

the 780ti is a beast of a card, but there was 1 messed-up driver for it and it was the witcher 3 GameReady driver at launch and this is where your first numbers come from @SteveGrabowski0 but nvidia fixed it the next week with the release of an other driver and my card started doing well again.

For pure performance the 780ti is a more capable GPU.

And with the drivers, do you really need to upgrade then or is it an option for better performance?

just install nvidia experience and it will download and install the most up to date driver.

... and then it will notice you whenever a more up to date driver is available and you can download it and auto-install it from there you have 2 clicks to do in order to perform a driver update and it takes about 3 minutes and it's flawless, everytime.

Usualy nvidia release a new GameReady driver a couple day prior to launch of most major AAA titles, adding SLI profile and optimising the driver for best performance and stability, always keep your driver up to date especialy if you tend to play the newest games out there.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

nVidia has a knack of 'abandoning' their own hardware. At least that's what I've noticed. But they can still keep life in their old hardware.... if they choose to.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

the 780ti is a beast of a card, but there was 1 messed-up driver for it and it was the witcher 3 GameReady driver at launch and this is where your first numbers come from @SteveGrabowski0 but nvidia fixed it the next week with the release of an other driver and my card started doing well again.

Hmm, I seem to remember a lot of people complaining about Kepler performance for at least a couple of months on the anandtech forums which I also read and post on. I'm glad to see they fixed it, there was no good reason for a 970 to outperform a 780 Ti which is easily more powerful on a hardware level.

nVidia has a knack of 'abandoning' their own hardware. At least that's what I've noticed.

well, the post you've quoted clearly tell another story...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

well, the post you've quoted clearly tell another story...

Well sure, after optimizations. But if you saw the previous graphs you would see they made improvements. What I've noticed is nVidia's cards don't hold out as long as AMD. Hence them 'abandoning' their old hardware. Not saying they abandon on purpose... but that's a different story.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

For pure performance the 780ti is a more capable GPU.

just install nvidia experience and it will download and install the most up to date driver.

... and then it will notice you whenever a more up to date driver is available and you can download it and auto-install it from there you have 2 clicks to do in order to perform a driver update and it takes about 3 minutes and it's flawless, everytime.

Usualy nvidia release a new GameReady driver a couple day prior to launch of most major AAA titles, adding SLI profile and optimising the driver for best performance and stability, always keep your driver up to date especialy if you tend to play the newest games out there.

Okay, Thank You for the info.

Sorry for another question, but do you know/ can you estimate how long the support of the card will be?

Edited by Made In Canada

-Made In Canada

Okay, Thank You for the info.

Sorry for another question, but do you know/ can you estimate how long the support of the card will be?

i'll tell you what:

if you want the card to last you as long as possible, then get the 970...is has more video memory which is nice, it supports all the latest features including VXGI and texture compression (which help optimising video memory usage in games BTW, it means it can do more with the vram available on the card which is nice and many games now support this feature).

If you ask me, if you plan on using this card for the next year or year and a half the 780ti will do you good...but if you plan on keeping the card longer than that..or maybe even going SLI with it, then by all means get the 970...it will age better and the performance difference is probably not worth all the other trade off like increased power consumption and lack of some features introduced with maxwell cards.

But, to answer your question more specificaly: as far as i can tell, so long as the GPU will be relevant to gaming the latest gameready drivers will keep coming out and it will keep being supported and get performance optimisation for AAA titles...like i said earlier (or maybe in another post i can,t remember) what is ''good'' for maxwell is good for kepler cards too because fundamentaly they aren't that different architecture wise, and when they tweak the drivers it benefit both kepler and maxwell pretty much evenly. Heck nvidia are rolling out the drivers for every new games that come out and even the older Fermi cards are still benefiting greatly from these improved drivers.

TLDR: if both cards are priced the same and you want maximum nvidia punch for the buck right now, today, for DX11 based games the 780ti...if you want a card that will most likely last a little longer, feature newer technology and noticeably better performance per watt, get the 970...again more video memory and newer GPU architecture.