What do you think of this NAS?

njmyers3
Go to solution Solved by MaxTheMonster,

I think that looks great but I would go with lower capacity hard drives, so instead of 2 4TB, 4 2TB this plays nicer with FreeNas and RAM usage.

For PSU, I would get any 500w 80+ Gold, Gold because for a NAS you really do need the reliability, unless you plan to run this 24/7 - In which case I would go for a Redundant PSU - that should work ok.

I'm new to NAS so what do you think of this build? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PByg6h What PSU should I get? I plan to use Freenas. Any help is appreciated because I don't really know about NAS building.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

I think that looks great but I would go with lower capacity hard drives, so instead of 2 4TB, 4 2TB this plays nicer with FreeNas and RAM usage.

For PSU, I would get any 500w 80+ Gold, Gold because for a NAS you really do need the reliability, unless you plan to run this 24/7 - In which case I would go for a Redundant PSU - that should work ok.

amnerd  B) Linux enthusiast. 

• CPU: Intel i5 4690k @3.5ghz  Motherboard: MSI U3 Plus Z97 GPU: Radeon R9 270x 2gb OC HDD: WD Green 3tb SDDs: Samsung 120gb, Kingston V300 120gb Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair V650 Fans: Corsair AF14 x4 CPU cooler: Hyper 212 EVO (Upgrading soon)     

I'm new to NAS so what do you think of this build? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PByg6h What PSU should I get? I plan to use Freenas. Any help is appreciated because I don't really know about NAS building.

why the super expensiove mobo ?

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

Don't get a micro ATX mobo.  Your mobo shouldn't be more than you CPU... but That CPU is fine if all you'll be using it for is a NAS.  The case doesn't look bad if you want to scale in the future since there are 8 bays.  Rule of thumb (some call it bro science, but even hardware vendors have told me this) don't go higher than 2TB disks.  After 2TB they are more prone to disk failure, so I'd get 4 2Tb disks instead or just scale up as needed.  

I don't use freenas I set up a Samba server for mine, but what you can do(and what I do) is have the root disk be a small laptop hdd or something and then add in the additional disks and create a new volumegroup those guys would share, then create a logical volume for the location of the data.  That will allow you to scan in a new disk and add it to the volumegroup/logical volume as needed.  Without wasting space or having an unneeded amount of space straight off that isn't scalable. 

You should look for a different motherboard. As mentioned above it should not cost more than the CPU. I recommend the ASRock H97M Pro4 for a cheap, packaged with features, non ecc motherboard.

2388fdec2920e6e451fb84e7c5a58691.png