Possible to Remove OSX?

Go to solution Solved by ygohome,

I myself would never get a Mac if I were not going to use OS X at all.

But if you want a Mac and use windows only, all of the time, I would still recommend keeping a minimal OS X partition.

Just know that drivers are pretty poor in Windows for a Mac.  Touchpad drivers in particular stink.  It works but alot of features are absent and touch sensitivity is bad.  Momentum scrolling is almost non-existent with trackpad when booting natively into windows.

I have a few MBPs and I often use bootcamp or VMs running windows guest os. VM (Parallels) drivers in a guest Win actually work alot better than booting a Mac into Windows natively.  Drivers in Windows for a Mac just plain stink.

Get an MSI GT60 3K Edition when it comes out, plenty of pixels to meet your desires.

Why would it be better to have a dual boot?

It's so incredibly simple I don't understand why you wouldn't.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

Get an MSI GT60 3K Edition when it comes out, plenty of pixels to meet your desires.

Its just too damn thick. :(

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

I wouldn't remove OSX, mainly because you don't waste that much drive space by keeping, it and it makes installing windows very easy by using boot camp (all HW drivers are there and everything will work perfectly). If you plan to spend the money on a Mac, at least having OSX there isn't a bad idea, It's actually very good if you get to know it. 

I wouldn't remove OSX, mainly because you don't waste that much drive space by keeping, it and it makes installing windows very easy by using boot camp (all HW drivers are there and everything will work perfectly). If you plan to spend the money on a Mac, at least having OSX there isn't a bad idea, It's actually very good if you get to know it. 

I've been using a Macbook for the last 4 years, so Im pretty sure I know how OSX works. :)

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Isn't BC like Parallels where you can have Windows and OSX on one laptop?

boot camp is an OSX tool used to partition a hard drive so you can install another OS, its also used to download the windows drivers..

parallels allows you to make virtual machines

Why would it be better to have a dual boot?

you will need OSX on the machine if you ever take it into be fixed.. just make a 30GB partition and install it on there and leave the rest for windows.

If you do get it and need help doing this let me know.

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

boot camp is an OSX tool used to partition a hard drive so you can install another OS, its also used to download the windows drivers..

you will need OSX on the machine if you ever take it into be fixed.. just make a 30GB partition and install it on there and leave the rest for windows.

If you do get it and need help doing this let me know.

Im not buying it now, I'll buy it the day my laptop dies.  ;)

But if you want a Mac and use windows only, all of the time, I would still recommend keeping a minimal OS X partition.

Just know that drivers are pretty poor in Windows for a Mac.  Touchpad drivers in particular stink.  It works but alot of features are absent and touch sensitivity is bad.  Momentum scrolling is almost non-existent with trackpad when booting natively into windows.

I have a few MBPs and I often use bootcamp or VMs running windows guest os. VM (Parallels) drivers in a guest Win actually work alot better than booting a Mac into Windows natively.  Drivers in Windows for a Mac just plain stink.

Just know that drivers are pretty poor in Windows for a Mac.  Touchpad drivers in particular stink. 

I have a few MBPs and I often use bootcamp or VMs running windows guest os.  Drivers in a VM (Parallels) running guest Windows actually works alot better than booting a Mac into Windows natively.  Drivers in Windows for a Mac just plain stink.

I might keep OSX, and not install Windows after thinking about it for a bit more... Not sure. Will decide when I get it.

I might keep OSX, and not install Windows after thinking about it for a bit more... Not sure. Will decide when I get it.

New Haswell Macbook Pros shouldn't be too far away ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

New Haswell Macbook Pros shouldn't be too far away ;)

I know!  :D so excited. Mac airs have Haswell CPU's though.

build a hackintosh with like double the spec at like half the cost, put a windows/linus partition on it and ur good

Character artist in the Games industry.

build a hackintosh with like double the spec at like half the cost, put a windows/linus partition on it and ur good

I was planning to build an awesome PC, but I decided to get a rMBP so I can travel a lot easier... I already have a PC for gaming at home.

I know!  :D so excited. Mac airs have Haswell CPU's though.

I know. I might get a 13" Macbook Pro Retina and sell my 11"MBA.

(Have to use this 20% discounts I get when still technically a student :P)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I know. I might get a 13" Macbook Pro Retina and sell my 11"MBA.

(Have to use this 20% discounts I get when still technically a student :P)

Do you have to be in college? If so, I might tell my brother about this...

To I would wait to do get the Mac because its due for a refresh

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled