Possible to Remove OSX?

Go to solution Solved by ygohome,

I myself would never get a Mac if I were not going to use OS X at all.

But if you want a Mac and use windows only, all of the time, I would still recommend keeping a minimal OS X partition.

Just know that drivers are pretty poor in Windows for a Mac.  Touchpad drivers in particular stink.  It works but alot of features are absent and touch sensitivity is bad.  Momentum scrolling is almost non-existent with trackpad when booting natively into windows.

I have a few MBPs and I often use bootcamp or VMs running windows guest os. VM (Parallels) drivers in a guest Win actually work alot better than booting a Mac into Windows natively.  Drivers in Windows for a Mac just plain stink.

I am planning to get a Retina Macbook Pro if I dont find a better laptop that looks nice and suits my needs to replace my old 2009 Macbook, and I was wondering if you could remove OSX, and install a fresh copy of windows on the laptop. 

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Why not get an ultra book with an aluminum body? Or is it the resolution of the screen that you want?

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

I am planning to get a Retina Macbook Pro if I dont find a better laptop that looks nice and suits my needs to replace my old 2009 Macbook, and I was wondering if you could remove OSX, and install a fresh copy of windows on the laptop. 

I wouldn't buy a Mac if you are not planning on using OS X ;)

---

but yeah it should be possible 

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Why not get an ultra book with an aluminum body? Or is it the resolution of the screen that you want?

The resolution is the main reason why I am even considering the  Mac.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

lost of people do this i believe ... though it may be better to dual boot windows and OSX

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

Yes, You can install Windows 7 or 8 on a Mac. You should use the tool provided though, it is called "BootCamp".

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

lost of people do this i believe ... though it may be better to dual boot windows and OSX

Why would it be better to have a dual boot?

The resolution is the main reason why I am even considering the  Mac.

Ok that is what I figured. I think that you can (I do not know much about MACs sorry) listen to another person that knows more lol.

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

I wouldn't buy a Mac if you are not planning on using OS X ;)

windows works better on a Macbook than many other laptops (i believe the main reason is the fresh install and good gpu )

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

Yes, You can install Windows 7 or 8 on a Mac. You should use the tool provided though, it is called "BootCamp".

Isn't BC like Parallels where you can have Windows and OSX on one laptop?

Why would it be better to have a dual boot?

in case of that one time you may want to boot  osx other than that leave it in a small partition and dont worry bout it   

No, BootCamp allows you to install Windows but it aids with the drivers and other things that Windows sometimes won't have. It installs it in a dual boot fashion. Parallels is a software that will let you virtualize Windows inside of OSX.

You can go ahead and just install Windows normally from a disk, You WILL need to format the drive though... So I would suggest making some kind of installation media for OSX, You can make a bootable USB drive to install OSX, I only say you should do this just incase you want to switch to OSX, You don't get any installation media with the laptop.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Bootcamp is many things.

It is mainly a tool to repartition you hard drive without losing the os x partition.

It also helps to make bootable usb devices/dvd with windows

And last but not least it enables you to download the necessary drivers for windows, so that all the hardware like the keyboard lightning, backlightning, etc. works correctly under windows.

-----

You can only install firmware updates from OS X 

no, not at all. Parallels provides VM (virtual machines) under OS X, where you can install windows.

Just get an Aspire S7

I really like the resolution  of the MBP... I mean, why can you get a higher than 1600P resolution on a 15 inch screen, but you cant get 1600P on a 24 inch monitor...

Back on topic. This is my other choice, but it might do the job since I dont game on laptops much... But I hate the keyboard layout...

I would but something like that notebook which Linus have.

Aspire S7.

I really like the resolution  of the MBP... I mean, why can you get a higher than 1600P resolution on a 15 inch screen, but you cant get 1600P on a 24 inch monitor...

Back on topic. This is my other choice, but it might do the job since I dont game on laptops much... But I hate the keyboard layout...

IMO 1600p is rediculos for a laptop you won't notice the difference between 1600p and 1080 on a 15 inch laptop unless you are inches away.

IMO 1600p is rediculos for a laptop you won't notice the difference between 1600p and 1080 on a 15 inch laptop unless you are inches away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl5cN8Z7LnM

Link doesn't work.

Try it again