Need help with Moto X rooting (first timer)

DevilishBooster
Go to solution Solved by _ASSASSIN_,

Alright, first - thanks for suggesting Minimal ABD and Fastboot. I installed it and every worked easily and perfectly. I now have the bootloader unlocked.

This is the guide that I'm following for the actual rooting process, and they say that the phone should appear in the Device Manager as "Motorola ADB Interface", but when I plug my phone in it says "Mot Single ADB Interface". Does that difference matter at all, or can I go ahead with the root?

EDIT: I was able to flash both TWRP and CWM recovery img files to the phone, and I downloaded SuperSU.zip to the phone like the instructions say, but when I go into the recovery menu it gives me the "Bootloader Unlocker" warning splash screen, and then is displays a Android on it's back with the front panel open and a red triangle with an exclamation point, and it says "No command." underneath it. After it sits there for a couple minutes the phone just reboots and goes into the OS. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

you didn't install the recovery then. first, I'd recommend using exclusively TWRP since it's just a superior recovery system versus CWM, and more ROM developers support it. 

Second, go into fastboot mode and use the command "fastboot flash recovery *insert TWRP image filname here*.img"

Then you should be able to get into the recovery using whatever button combination to get in it.

I have a Moto X (XT1055) that I don't use anymore, so I want to root it just for fun (to learn how to do it and learn whatever I can along the way). I am following the instructions straight from Motorola. I have already installed the Android Studio and SDK onto my computer from here, and I have verified that the phone can be unlocked (I have an email from Motorola with the unlock code). I am following the instructions on this page, but I am stuck because I cannot find the "tools" folder in Step 5. :blink:  Can somebody help me out?  If you need more specific details, let me know and I'll get back to you tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Go to the XDA forums. We don't root phones here.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

How come? It's not illegal (as far as I know)....

I'm calling bullshit on that since there is a sticky note about rooting on this exact forum.

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

If you can't help the guy, you don't have to be like that about it. There are plenty of people here knowledgeable in Android modification that could help, including but not limited to @_ASSASSIN_, @nsyedhasan, myself and others. And did you not notice that there's a stickied thread about the subject itself?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I have a Moto X (XT1055) that I don't use anymore, so I want to root it just for fun (to learn how to do it and learn whatever I can along the way). I am following the instructions straight from Motorola. I have already installed the Android Studio and SDK onto my computer from here, and I have verified that the phone can be unlocked (I have an email from Motorola with the unlock code). I am following the instructions on this page, but I am stuck because I cannot find the "tools" folder in Step 5. :blink:  Can somebody help me out?  If you need more specific details, let me know and I'll get back to you tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

I can't see the page you're directing us to because it requires us to log in. If you're looking for the platform tools though (adb and fastboot), I personally use Minimal ADB and Fastboot as it's easier for me.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I can't see the page you're directing us to because it requires us to log in. If you're looking for the platform tools though (adb and fastboot), I personally use Minimal ADB and Fastboot as it's easier for me.

EDIT: Here are the instructions from Motorola.

Unlock your device

1. Turn off your device.

2. Start your device in fastboot mode. To do this on most Motorola devices, push and hold the power and volume down at the same time, release the power button then release volume down. The device will now power up in fastboot mode.

3. Connect the device to the computer with a USB cable. You'll get a confirmation message on the device to indicate that it's connected.

4. Open a command window or terminal on your computer.

5. Change the field to show the path to the tools folder within the Android SDK folder.

6. Verify that the desktop and device are connected by entering the following in the command field:$ fastboot devicesYou should see that your device is connected.

7. To unlock the bootloader, enter the following in the command line:$ fastboot oem unlock UNIQUE_KEY The UNIQUE_KEY is the code you received in the email. It is case-sensitive.

8. If the line was entered correctly, you will see a message confirming that your device was unlocked.

Ok, I'll look into it tomorrow. I'm about to hit the sack cause I had a long work day and I've been up for 21 hours. I'm sure I'll have some questions to hit you up with tomorrow. Thanks.

END OF LINE

Alright, first - thanks for suggesting Minimal ABD and Fastboot. I installed it and every worked easily and perfectly. I now have the bootloader unlocked.

This is the guide that I'm following for the actual rooting process, and they say that the phone should appear in the Device Manager as "Motorola ADB Interface", but when I plug my phone in it says "Mot Single ADB Interface". Does that difference matter at all, or can I go ahead with the root?

EDIT: I was able to flash both TWRP and CWM recovery img files to the phone, and I downloaded SuperSU.zip to the phone like the instructions say, but when I go into the recovery menu it gives me the "Bootloader Unlocker" warning splash screen, and then is displays a Android on it's back with the front panel open and a red triangle with an exclamation point, and it says "No command." underneath it. After it sits there for a couple minutes the phone just reboots and goes into the OS. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

EDIT2: Ok, so after some research I found out that the instructions from Motorola haven't been updated since the release of Lollipop, so in order to get into the recovery menu you have to press the pwr button and the vol up button at the No command screen. I still don't have the "Install zip" option in the Recovery menu. I would attach pictures, but I keep getting an Error 503 when I try to upload them.

END OF LINE

you didn't install the recovery then. first, I'd recommend using exclusively TWRP since it's just a superior recovery system versus CWM, and more ROM developers support it. 

Second, go into fastboot mode and use the command "fastboot flash recovery *insert TWRP image filname here*.img"

Then you should be able to get into the recovery using whatever button combination to get in it.

I did that, but I'll do it again.

I also added a second edit to the post you replied to.

END OF LINE

I did that, but I'll do it again.

I also added a second edit to the post you replied to.

yeah I went through a similar process to unlock my bootloader for my HTC One M7 a while ago. Does your bootloader show information, because typically they will show if the bootloader state is unlocked to make sure that you can actually write to these partitions.

yeah I went through a similar process to unlock my bootloader for my HTC One M7 a while ago. Does your bootloader show information, because typically they will show if the bootloader state is unlocked to make sure that you can actually write to these partitions.

Yes, the bootloader is unlocked.

"Device is UNLOCKED. Status Code: 3"

END OF LINE

Sweet! It worked this time! Thanks @_ASSASSIN_ and @TheSLSAMG !!

Not sure why it didn't work the first time, but everything seems good to go. Not to start playing around and doing some power use. :D

END OF LINE

• 2 weeks later...

@TheSLSAMG @_ASSASSIN_

I had a software update for the Moto X and when it restarted it put me in the TWRP menu. I told it to reboot into the system, but when it does it loads the OS and then after about a minute it reboots itself into the TWRP menu.... Did installing the software update mess up the root?

END OF LINE

@TheSLSAMG @_ASSASSIN_

I had a software update for the Moto X and when it restarted it put me in the TWRP menu. I told it to reboot into the system, but when it does it loads the OS and then after about a minute it reboots itself into the TWRP menu.... Did installing the software update mess up the root?

From what I know, normally factory system updates don't install properly through TWRP, either failing to install or installing and corrupting the OS. _ASSASSIN_ knows a lot more than me when it comes to this though, so he may better serve you.

@TheSLSAMG @_ASSASSIN_

From what I know, normally factory system updates don't install properly through TWRP, either failing to install or installing and corrupting the OS. _ASSASSIN_ knows a lot more than me when it comes to this though, so he may better serve you.

typically only nexus devices are supported to have OTA updates through TWRP. 

Regardless, I'd recommend a custom ROM because 

1. much cooler B)

2. completely works with twrp

3. don't have to re-root all the time

4. no useless BS

5. Custom kernels are da best

etc....

regardless if you want to upgrade to an official firmware, you should flash the stock images if provided by the manufacturer using fastboot flash *filename corresponding to the partition* *partition you want to flash the file to* if you are completely f*cked

typically only nexus devices are supported to have OTA updates through TWRP. 

Regardless, I'd recommend a custom ROM because 

1. much cooler B)

2. completely work with twrp

3. don't have to re-root all the time

4. no useless BS

5. Custom kernels are da best

etc....

regardless if you want to upgrade to an official firmware, you should flash the stock images if provided by the manufacturer using fastboot flash *filename corresponding to the partition* *partition you want to flash the file to* if you are completely f*cked

If I flash a custom ROM to it tonight will it delete the apps I've installed since I rooted it?

END OF LINE

If I flash a custom ROM to it tonight will it delete the apps I've installed since I rooted it?

you have to do a clean flash since typically the kernel source is based on cyanogenmod, so yeah you will lose everything.

However if you have titanium backup...

you have to do a clean flash since typically the kernel source is based on cyanogenmod, so yeah you will lose everything.

However if you have titanium backup...

Yeeeeeaaaahhhhhh..... So.... since I'm a noob at this and all.... I didn't think to run Titanium back-up before I hit the "update software" button all happy and care-free like.... So now when I try to go in to back up the apps the phone reboots itself before I can. Guess I'll chalk it up to "Lessons Learned" and just see about flashing a custom ROM. :unsure:

I may need to hit you up for some more help, depending on how it goes. Thanks.

END OF LINE

Yeeeeeaaaahhhhhh..... So.... since I'm a noob at this and all.... I didn't think to run Titanium back-up before I hit the "update software" button all happy and care-free like.... So now when I try to go in to back up the apps the phone reboots itself before I can. Guess I'll chalk it up to "Lessons Learned" and just see about flashing a custom ROM. :unsure:

I may need to hit you up for some more help, depending on how it goes. Thanks.

NP man