QUADRO vs GTX

fabiosapplou
Go to solution Solved by Egad,

@fabiosapplou

Problem is GeForce and Quadro drivers aren't the same.  You can make it work but you'd have to do some tweaking and you probably lose 10 bit color in the process.  In these scenarios lowest common feature tends to win.  Typically people will pair a weaker, but still decent, Quadro with a 'gaming' card and run them both on GeForce drivers.

For sanity's sake I'd suggest a M4000 SLI.  Or if your specific software has good multi GPU support you can unlink them and let the software push out jobs to each GPU as it sees fits.  

I guys...

I'm building a computer for editing, and i have a great question...

Whats the difference between a Quadro M4000 and a GTX 980ti...

The GTX have a lot more cuda cores than the M4000, but the M4000 its a professional grade graphics card... So it should have something more to offer... What are the real advantages by buying the M4000? Will it improve my editing experience? Will it be more responsive?

thank you for the help...

I guys...

The GTX have a lot more cuda cores than the M4000, but the M4000 its a professional grade graphics card... So it should have something more to offer... What are the real advantages by buying the M4000? Will it improve my editing experience? Will it be more responsive?

are you gaming?

If so GTX, 

Are you doing rendering?

M4000

Are you doing both?

GTX

I guys...

Unless you know for sure you NEED a quadro for a VERY SPECIFIC thing you are doing - it is a complete waste of money, and a GTX will be much better 

10-bit color, specific 3D work is where a quadro will come in handy. General video editing, and your GTX card will work much better for MUCH cheaper. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Unless you know for sure you NEED a quadro for a VERY SPECIFIC thing you are doing - it is a complete waste of money, and a GTX will be much better 

10-bit color, specific 3D work is where a quadro will come in handy. General video editing, and your GTX card will work much better for MUCH cheaper. 

So GTX does not support 10 bit color? Thank you...

are you gaming?

If so GTX, 

Are you doing rendering?

M4000

Are you doing both?

GTX

I know it is made to render, and is more reliable and have greater precision... But i don't really render 3D stuff... And i was thinking... if that's just what you gain with it i might prefer the GTX, but my question is... It will perform significantly better on my workflow (were i don't really need ECC and stuff) just speaking in raw processing power...

The GTX 980Ti is GM200, whereas the M4000 is GM204.  So the 980Ti actually has more CUDA (2816 vs 1664) cores and the ability to run faster thanks to GPU boost.  It lacks the ECC and color depth though.  In most rendering benchmarks, a 980Ti only lags slightly behind a M6000.  So unless you need a Quadro specific feature, 980Ti.

As a side note if you need to do lots of double precision work, the older Kepler architecture is actually better.  

As far as I can find, no. 

However, unless you have a multi-thousand dollar 10 bit monitor....

Yes but thats important, i use an hp dreamcolor display. And it is 10bit not only for video editing but also for large format printing

The GTX 980Ti is GM200, whereas the M4000 is GM204.  So the 980Ti actually has more CUDA (2816 vs 1664) cores and the ability to run faster thanks to GPU boost.  It lacks the ECC and color depth though.  In most rendering benchmarks, a 980Ti only lags slightly behind a M6000.  So unless you need a Quadro specific feature, 980Ti.

As a side note if you need to do lots of double precision work, the older Kepler architecture is actually better.

I'm not gonna buy the m6000, but it looks like i need the quadro for the color.

I'll buy the m4000, but it will perform worse than the 980 because it has less cores right?

Even though I'll get the color depth, to have both the performance and the color depth the m6000 would be the right move. (Just asking because i don't have enough money for it.)

@fabiosapplou

Yes, setting aside 10 bit color that's correct.  Here on some benchmarks on the Maxwell higher end cards.  Depending on the specific task I might recommend the EVGA Titan X Hybrid, for the additional CUDA and RAM.  Otherwise a 980Ti either with a hybrid cooler or reference blower would be ideal.  The aftermarket fan coolers work well for gaming, but they dump the heat in the case.  On extremely long renders this can get problematic.  The reference blowers hit max temp faster but take much longer to heat up the entire case and potentially cause other components to throttle.  

For anything involving lots of double precision but less demand on the video RAM, namely solving complex equations, the 780Ti is still an attractive option given Kepler's double compute performance.  Memory performance and improved parallelism on the Maxwells, but Kepler GK110 also had dynamic parallelism support and those cards can offer a really good price to performance ratio for casual users.  

nevermind.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

@fabiosapplou

Yes, setting aside 10 bit color that's correct.  Here on some benchmarks on the Maxwell higher end cards.  Depending on the specific task I might recommend the EVGA Titan X Hybrid, for the additional CUDA and RAM.  Otherwise a 980Ti either with a hybrid cooler or reference blower would be ideal.  The aftermarket fan coolers work well for gaming, but they dump the heat in the case.  On extremely long renders this can get problematic.  The reference blowers hit max temp faster but take much longer to heat up the entire case and potentially cause other components to throttle.  

For anything involving lots of double precision but less demand on the video RAM, namely solving complex equations, the 780Ti is still an attractive option given Kepler's double compute performance.  Memory performance and improved parallelism on the Maxwells, but Kepler GK110 also had dynamic parallelism support and those cards can offer a really good price to performance ratio for casual users.  

Thanks man... Let me just make a last question...

Can i run the display with a lower grade quadro (to get the 10bit color depth) and invest in a 980ti or a titan x to run cuda? would be cheaper than buy a M6000.

Let me know if it is a stupid idea our not.

@fabiosapplou

Problem is GeForce and Quadro drivers aren't the same.  You can make it work but you'd have to do some tweaking and you probably lose 10 bit color in the process.  In these scenarios lowest common feature tends to win.  Typically people will pair a weaker, but still decent, Quadro with a 'gaming' card and run them both on GeForce drivers.

For sanity's sake I'd suggest a M4000 SLI.  Or if your specific software has good multi GPU support you can unlink them and let the software push out jobs to each GPU as it sees fits.