CPU for MMO's

I'd like to upgrade my CPU to a cpu with strong single thread performance preferably with the least amount of cores. MMOs are really cpu intensive especially WoW and GW2  and most of them arent well optimized for multi threaded CPU's

Here is my build

GPU: GTX 980 Gigabyte

CPU: 4930k Intel

Ram: 2x8GB Hyperx Ram

MoBo: Asus x79-deluxe

Im going to upgrade to GTX 980 ti somewhere in the future but for now i'd like to know what is the strongest single threaded CPU for gaming?

yours is still kicking @SS

but the i5 6600k would be the best

or if you really want the best

g3258 + custom watercooling loop

5 GHZ overclock

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

I'd like to upgrade my CPU to a cpu with strong single thread performance preferably with the least amount of cores. MMOs are really cpu intensive especially WoW and GW2  and most of them arent well optimized for multi threaded CPU's

Here is my build

Im going to upgrade to GTX 980 ti somewhere in the future but for now i'd like to know what is the strongest single threaded CPU for gaming?

4930k is fine but if you really want a tiny upgrade a 4790k is fine.

Here is my build

holy shit, you have a 4930k, that cpu kicks serious ass!

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

4930k is fine but if you really want a tiny upgrade a 4790k is fine.

In theory the 4790k should be about 25% faster in single threaded applications, but it would have less total performance, and that is also assuming both are at stock speeds (+ any natural turbo).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

@AlHameli

You don't need a CPU upgrade at all. Yours is perfectly fine. I have a 3570K and play Final Fantasy 14, which is arguably a bit more demanding than WoW and Guild Wars 2. It works perfectly fine for me, so since you have a more powerful CPU than me, and you're playing less intensive games than me, then you're fine.

COMIC SANS

In theory the 4790k should be about 25% faster in single threaded applications, but it would have less total performance, and that is also assuming both are at stock speeds (+ any natural turbo).

"MMOs are really cpu intensive especially WoW and GW2  and most of them arent well optimized for multi threaded CPU's"

He asked for pure single performance, I'd personally keep the 4930k if I were him.

Here is my build

WoW actually can use more than 4 cores, and regularly does. GW2 is also very CPU intensive, to the point where it is at 98% CPU usage at max settings on a 3570K @ 4.4Ghz.  An i7 of similar clockspeeds will be better for these 2 games (personally tested and seen, comparing a 3570K vs 4790K vs 4930K).

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

WoW actually can use more than 4 cores, and regularly does. GW2 is also very CPU intensive, to the point where it is at 98% CPU usage at max settings on a 3570K @ 4.4Ghz.  An i7 of similar clockspeeds will be better for these 2 games (personally tested and seen, comparing a 3570K vs 4790K vs 4930K).

well im still getting about 40-50 fps in personal story where the area is not very crowded which i think is very low

well im still getting about 40-50 fps in personal story where the area is not very crowded which i think is very low

What resolution are you playing at? See if enabling DSR makes any difference (put more of the load on the GPU).

Also, if you're convinced it's due to the CPU, overclock it. Upgrading to Skylake would only net you 5-10% IPC clock for clock, which really isn't much.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

"MMOs are really cpu intensive especially WoW and GW2  and most of them arent well optimized for multi threaded CPU's"

He asked for pure single performance, I'd personally keep the 4930k if I were him.

Your statement contradicts itself; you restate that the OP wants better single threaded performance, and then say you would keep the chip which has lower single threaded performance.

That aside however, I agree he should keep his current CPU.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Your statement contradicts itself; you restate that the OP wants better single threaded performance, and then say you would keep the chip which has lower single threaded performance.

That aside however, I agree he should keep his current CPU.

I'm saying that on a budget, it's 300+ for very small improvement.

I'm saying that on a budget, it's 300+ for very small improvement.

Well, I'll restate my original comment: "In theory the 4790k should be about 25% faster in single threaded applications, but it would have less total performance"

So idk if it's really appropriate to even say one is or is not an improvement over the other, just in general since they each have certain advantages

Well, I'll restate my original comment: "In theory the 4790k should be about 25% faster in single threaded applications, but it would have less total performance"

So idk if it's really appropriate to even say one is or is not an improvement over the other, just in general since they each have certain advantages

In theory if a application only used 4 cores the i7-4790k would win, if more the 4930k should beat it.

In theory if a application only used 4 cores the i7-4790k would win, if more the 4930k should beat it.

yes, there we go, that's what I'm saying :)