Help Please?

Nasty

Ok so my dad has this old windows 98 pc with I believe windows 2007 or whatever... Anyway He doesn't want anything but pictures. I have windows 10, if I were to plug the old hard drive in to my PC, could i just take stuff out of it?

CPU: I5-7600k(5.1GHz)                                                       RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED(2x8GB @ 3200MHz/CAS-15)              Case: Cooler Master HAF 912

Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO                                                      Storage: 850 EVO 250GB - 2x(1TB WD Blue(Raid 0))                                   PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W B2

Mobo: ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO                                       GPU: G1 GTX 970                                                                                                  OS: Windows 10

By 2007 you mean Vista, you could just search though his profile under /Users/UrDadsName

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

Forgot to say, his PCs PSU is shot. Not sure if you understood but I was talking about taking his hard drive out and just plugging it into my PC to browse through the files, Would that work

CPU: I5-7600k(5.1GHz)                                                       RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED(2x8GB @ 3200MHz/CAS-15)              Case: Cooler Master HAF 912

Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO                                                      Storage: 850 EVO 250GB - 2x(1TB WD Blue(Raid 0))                                   PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W B2

Mobo: ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO                                       GPU: G1 GTX 970                                                                                                  OS: Windows 10

Forgot to say, his PCs PSU is shot. Not sure if you understood but I was talking about taking his hard drive out and just plugging it into my PC to browse through the files, Would that work

Indeed it would.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

So, to do so, Would I just plug it in, then would I have to assign a letter to it for it to show or what?

As @Sankster said, Windows will automatically mount the partitions and give them drive letters. You should be able to look at them from "Computer" and read the files off them.

You will be looking for one called "Local Disk" or something similar. "Recovery" and "System Reserved" won't be of any interest to you.

In that partition there should be a folder called "Users" in which your user folder will be. You may need to change permissions to access this, but Windows will prompt you if you do.

I hope this helps :)

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Actuallly just took a look, I wont be able to because the "sata" cable in my case is like a 20-30 pin

Actuallly just took a look, I wont be able to because the "sata" cable in my case is like a 20-30 pin

You mean a PATA (IDE) cable? these are 40-pin ribbon cables used in the old standard of hard drives:

31H1MF5YE3L.jpg

Is this in your old PC or you new one?

Old

Old

In that case you will need to get hold of a USB to IDE adapter to connect it to your new PC.

Alternatively you could boot up the old PC with a Linux LiveCD and transfer the files onto a USB drive. You wouldn't need to buy anything, but you would have to set up a Linux LiveCD or LiveUSB. I suggest Ubuntu for this as its pretty easy to use:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

Feel free to ask if you need any more help :)