Best ram for video editing rig with the Noctua NH-D14?

So this is my parts list:

I need to upgrade to 32GB because now I'm using After Effects and running out of RAM. I currently have the Corsair XMS3 RAM installed, but someone just bought it so I could buy a completely new set. I don't know if that was silly to do or not, but I felt it would be good to have higher peforming RAM. 

The important thing is compatibility with my cooler. I was going to go with HyperX Beast as Logan (over at TekSyndicate) really seems to like that, but that wouldn't be compatible.

How much ram do you have already? 16GB ram is plenty for even most moderate editing.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Dominators are super sexy but kind of overpriced.  Mushkin blackline, or gskill sniper or ares would work as well.  If I'm not mistaken you want to be sure to get 2 dual channel kits and not quad channel.

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo

Dominators are tall^

Something without a massive heatsink. Or just go for LP memory and never worry about it.

Put the front fan around the back. Ram clearance issue gone :D

My exhaust fan is also very close to the cooler, so I don't think that would work. Here's what it looks like.

Dxvd.jpg

How much ram do you have already? 16GB ram is plenty for even most moderate editing.

I have 16GB right now, but I was using After Effects and I was using 13GB, with After Effects using the maximum it would allow me to.  (It forces you to leave 3GB for the system.)

Dominators are super sexy but kind of overpriced.  Mushkin blackline, or gskill sniper or ares would work as well.  If I'm not mistaken you want to be sure to get 2 dual channel kits and not quad channel.

I wouldn't go with Dominators as they would get in the way of my NH-D14. I'm glad to hear Mushkin and Gskill are good options as well, at first I was thinking I should just stick to brands like Corsair, Kingston... etc.

I have 16GB right now, but I was using After Effects and I was using 13GB, with After Effects using the maximum it would allow me to.  (It forces you to leave 3GB for the system.)

Do you have 4 sticks right now or just 2? Also, what kind of memory?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I wouldn't go with Dominators as they would get in the way of my NH-D14. I'm glad to hear Mushkin and Gskill are good options as well, at first I was thinking I should just stick to brands like Corsair, Kingston... etc.

You can't have a ram discussion without mentioning them. :)  The mushkin blackline looks really good to me.  Nice and sleek.  Here's a 2x8GB kit.

Do you have 4 sticks right now or just 2? Also, what kind of memory?

I sold them to open my options up to anything. 

You can't have a ram discussion without mentioning them. :)  The mushkin blackline looks really good to me.  Nice and sleek.  Here's a 2x8GB kit.

I do like the look of the Mushkin Blackline, but I'm not so sure about the performance of them. They are on sale, though.

Two questions I have are:

Does CAS latency / frequency matter?

Should I stick to 1.5V or does it matter?

Latency is lag. For the most part, it doesn't matter unless you're pulling some really heavy renders.

Frequency is speed. Higher is better although going higher than 1600 nets very little performance outside of again, very heavy renders.

It's been confirmd by Intel employees that 1.65v ram works just fine. It doesn't really matter.

Just go with CL9 1600 memory and you're solid: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/mushkin-memory-994110s

I sold them to open my options up to anything. 

I do like the look of the Mushkin Blackline, but I'm not so sure about the performance of them. They are on sale, though.

I recommended the blackline since you were planning on using hyperx beast (which is also 2400mhz).  You would be fine with 1600mhz though and like WoodenMarker said the other stuff won't really matter.

Cas latency and frequency together define the performance of a memory module, the lower the latency and the higher the speed the better.

Yes you should stick to 1.5v as 1.65v is the maximum for the intel platforms and having 1.5v memory modules opens up the option for overclocking, because you can raise the voltage, unlike the 1.65v memory where you are already hitting the limit.

A good tip is also to stick to non XMP memory, because this type of RAM does not have a lot of overclocking headroom because the XMP profile is basically overclocking.

An example of this would be that a 1600mhz XMP rated memory operates by default at 1333mhz and can be overclocked to 1600mhz.

While a non XMP 1600mhz memory, operates by default at 1600mhz and can be overclocked further to 1866mhz or even 2133mhz.

Okay, I think I'm going to go with the Mushkin Stealth, but I had last one question. Something beefalo brought up with Quad channel vs. dual channel. I have the ASUS P8Z77-V Pro which says it supports dual channel memory. If I buy this, which says it's Quad Channel, would it be incompatible?

Okay, I think I'm going to go with the Mushkin Stealth, but I had last one question. Something beefalo brought up with Quad channel vs. dual channel. I have the ASUS P8Z77-V Pro which says it supports dual channel memory. If I buy this, which says it's Quad Channel, would it be incompatible?

It would work but I think there could be issues with the way dual channel and quad channel ram works.  I think there's a possibility that using quad channel ram on a dual channel board could make it all run in single channel.  I'm not 100% sure on this though.

There's nothing special about dual channel or quad channel ram. It just means the kit has been tested in dual and/or quad channel and works.

Alright, thanks for your help everyone! I went with the Mushkin Enhanced Stealth. 

Thats why i water cool.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Thats why i water cool.

I went with the Noctua NH-D14 because a water cooling setup for my CPU would force me to open up the top portion of my case for the radiator. This would allow much more noise to reach me and my mic when I'm recording voice-overs or videos. That being said, a water cooling setup would definitely be very cool with custom heat sinks on the ram modules.