Hey everyone.

So I'm going to be building my first computer very soon, and I'm excited as hell for it. =D I've not had the opportunity before to build my own computer and have always been stuck with really crummy prebuilt ones or cheap laptops. So, freeeeeeedoooooooooooom!

I will be primarily using it for gaming, but I will also be using it a lot for PhotoShop, 3D work with Blender, capturing and editing gameplay footage in 1080p, editing full HD video etc.

Now I'm pretty much decided on my build in regards to what I generally want and the price I can afford. But because I'm new to building my own computer I wanted to just share my build here, get some feedback and see if I'm doing anything wrong.

So, here's my build:

• Intel Core i7 3770k CPU
  • Corsair H100i Liquid CPU Cooler
  • MSI Z77 MPOWER ATX Motherboard
  • Kingston Beast 16GB DDR3-2400 RAM (2x8GB)
  • Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
  • EVGA GeForce GTX Titan GPU
  • Fractal Design Define R4 Case
  • Corsair ATX12V / EPS12V Professional Gold 750W (80 Plus Gold) PSU

I know a lot of people will probably tell me "But Whiskers! Don't get a Titan, it's so overpriced!" But I've tentatively put it in there because it's the only single-GPU card that I know will suit what I'm going for. My intention is to get a triple-monitor setup, and potentially in the future (when the screens have become cheap enough) a 4K monitor. I realize I could just get two GTX 770s in SLI but I'm not really a fan of SLI and Crossfire or dual-GPU cards personally.

So what I want to know is, would it be worthwhile getting the Titan for a triple-monitor setup and later 4K? Or would a GTX 780 do well? (I had assumed that the 780 would suffer somewhat given that it's got half the VRAM of the Titan)

Any advice or pointers would be awesome. :) Thanks guys!

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Seems good to me. I would get a 780 rather than a titan. Much cheeper for almost the same performance

Nzxt Phantom 410 - I5 4670k stock - 7950 vapor x @ 1000mhz/1250mhz - Msi Z87 G45 - 8gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1600mhz - TX650 - Benq XL2420t - Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 - Deathadder 2013

@Whiskers

PM me and I will help u. I can give u several builds depending on what u need

I would have suggested you explain here, another person may be looking for something similar in there new computer build. :D

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Seems good to me. I would get a 780 rather than a titan. Much cheeper for almost the same performance

Yeah, I was looking at the 780 before. But how does its performance scale with triple-monitor (3x1080p) and 4K?

I figured that it'd start struggling a little because it's limited to 3GB of VRAM. And multi-monitor or 4K is supposed to be reaaaaaaally demanding on memory I heard.

I know everyones probably getting tired of hearing this but wait for 9000 series even if you dont want a 9000 series card the 780 will most likely go down in price (don't bother with a titan)

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

Titan's fine, it's Haswell you want.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1tcF5

Also, watch the RAM voltage. It exceeds Intel's recommended 1.5V. It will operate at 1333 unless you overclock it or fix the voltage in the BIOS.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I know everyones probably getting tired of hearing this but wait for 9000 series even if you dont want a 9000 series card the 780 will most likely go down in price (don't bother with a titan)

He does blender work and such that benefits from CUDA cores. 780/Titan (if the 780 sucks with 4k) would be okay.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

I would have suggested you explain here, another person may be looking for something similar in there new computer build. :D

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1tcI3

Updated with newer i7 processor and new z87 mobo. Got a cheaper power supply, 650W is all he needs.

I would update the Titan to the 780, but I am still finding out if he needs the extra VRAM for 4k and blender work.

He does blender work and such that benefits from CUDA cores. 780/Titan (if the 780 sucks with 4k) would be okay.

ah right I would still say wait just so prices drop though :)

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

Hey everyone.

So I'm going to be building my first computer very soon, and I'm excited as hell for it. =D I've not had the opportunity before to build my own computer and have always been stuck with really crummy prebuilt ones or cheap laptops. So, freeeeeeedoooooooooooom!

I will be primarily using it for gaming, but I will also be using it a lot for PhotoShop, 3D work with Blender, capturing and editing gameplay footage in 1080p, editing full HD video etc.

Now I'm pretty much decided on my build in regards to what I generally want and the price I can afford. But because I'm new to building my own computer I wanted to just share my build here, get some feedback and see if I'm doing anything wrong.

So, here's my build:

• Intel Core i7 3770k CPU
  • Corsair H100i Liquid CPU Cooler
  • MSI Z77 MPOWER ATX Motherboard
  • Kingston Beast 16GB DDR3-2400 RAM (2x8GB)
  • Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
  • EVGA GeForce GTX Titan GPU
  • Fractal Design Define R4 Case
  • Corsair ATX12V / EPS12V Professional Gold 750W (80 Plus Gold) PSU

I know a lot of people will probably tell me "But Whiskers! Don't get a Titan, it's so overpriced!" But I've tentatively put it in there because it's the only single-GPU card that I know will suit what I'm going for. My intention is to get a triple-monitor setup, and potentially in the future (when the screens have become cheap enough) a 4K monitor. I realize I could just get two GTX 770s in SLI but I'm not really a fan of SLI and Crossfire or dual-GPU cards personally.

So what I want to know is, would it be worthwhile getting the Titan for a triple-monitor setup and later 4K? Or would a GTX 780 do well? (I had assumed that the 780 would suffer somewhat given that it's got half the VRAM of the Titan)

Any advice or pointers would be awesome. :) Thanks guys!

How far are you wanting to overclock? If you aren't doing anything extreme there isn't much need for an MPOWER you could just save a few bucks. And as pointed out above that kit exceeds intels spec for voltage.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

How far are you wanting to overclock? If you aren't doing anything extreme there isn't much need for an MPOWER you could just save a few bucks. And as pointed out above that kit exceeds intels spec for voltage.

Yep, Sabertooth is just fine

As high as I can get it to go! :D

Titan's fine, it's Haswell you want.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1tcF5

Also, watch the RAM voltage. It exceeds Intel's recommended 1.5V. It will operate at 1333 unless you overclock it or fix the voltage in the BIOS.

Yeah I forgot to ask about that in my post, my bad. I had assumed that the 1.5V was just a recommendation that you could go over, but what would the consequences of that be? Would it in reality have no effect or could it shorten the lifespan of a component etc?

Do you have any indication of a budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yeah I forgot to ask about that in my post, my bad. I had assumed that the 1.5V was just a recommendation that you could go over, but what would the consequences of that be? Would it in reality have no effect or could it shorten the lifespan of a component etc?

It's been confirmed by Intel employees 1.65v works just fine.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Do you have any indication of a budget?

Essentially around £2000. I can go a little bit over but I'd prefer to keep it as close to that mark as possible.

It's been confirmed by Intel employees 1.65v works just fine.

Ah, good. Thanks! :)

@Whiskers

Changed again, back to 3770k, for super overclocking headroom.

Differences between this and your original build : Sabertooth mobo, cheaper and lower wattage power supply, cheaper versian of Titan (much cheaper, factory overclocked titan is overpriced)

@Whiskers

Changed again, back to 3770k, for super overclocking headroom.

Differences between this and your original build : Sabertooth mobo, cheaper and lower wattage power supply, cheaper versian of Titan (much cheaper, factory overclocked titan is overpriced)

Sweet, thanks. :)

What advantages are there to the Sabertooth over the MSI MPOWER?

No lifespan effect, just lower out of the box clocks. All you need to do is raise the voltage and speed to the correct settings in the BIOS.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Sweet, thanks. :)

What advantages are there to the Sabertooth over the MSI MPOWER?

Almost the same, but I prefer the Sabertooth because it looks better and has better cooling (great if u are gonna overclock).

Essentially around £2000. I can go a little bit over but I'd prefer to keep it as close to that mark as possible.

How big are the scenes you are working with? I'm having trouble figuring out how much vram you would need with so little detail.

How big are the scenes you are working with? I'm having trouble figuring out how much vram you would need with so little detail.

In Blender?

For right now it's nothing extravagant or massive as I'm still learning about it. However 3D modelling and animation will be part of the course I'm studying at College, so I may be taking on more ambitious tasks as homework or additional study etc.

I know, Titan is overkill for that. :D But once I'm comfortable and skilled enough with the program I'll hopefully start doing some more ambitious work.

In Blender?

For right now it's nothing extravagant or massive as I'm still learning about it. However 3D modelling and animation will be part of the course I'm studying at College, so I may be taking on more ambitious tasks as homework or additional study etc.

I know, Titan is overkill for that. :D But once I'm comfortable and skilled enough with the program I'll hopefully start doing some more ambitious work.

Then I'd suggest just getting a 780. You can upgrade with a better gpu later when you actually need it.

Here you go: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1teaV

Crossfire ready.

Do you have storage already? You could just get a 120GB ssd if you do..

Then I'd suggest just getting a 780. You can upgrade with a better gpu later when you actually need it.

Here you go: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1teaV

Crossfire ready.

Do you have storage already? You could just get a 120GB ssd if you do..

How would the 780 perform with triple-monitor (3x1080p) and 4K resolutions though?

That's the main reason I didn't include it. Also I'm not a fan of SLI / Crossfire and dual gpu Cards.

And yeah, I have a 3TB Green drive I can use but I'd prefer to stick with a higher capacity SSD. A lot of things that I'll be accessing frequently (Photoshop work, Blender projects, videos I'm working with, game installations etc) would be stored on the SSD.