Using Ubuntu 8.1 to scan Windows XP for viruses

One of the PC's we have here - an old Dell from around 2002 (I think) is running XP but seems to have slowdown - we think because of a latent virus (or so). I wanted to run a live CD copy of Ubuntu 8.1 that I have lying around to see if it picks up any virus's, how would I?

Not really, no. Although Ubuntu does recognise a NTFS drive, it will not however recognise windows-based virus'. 

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

Had thought of that but even with a backup of the OS, couldn't a virus also be on that as well? Also for an old system that whose' hard drive runs about laptop speeds it'd probably take a very long time to "recover". Some programs (Sidekick) and some office program besides MS office are I think (if I recall correctly) a pain to try to reinstall.

boot up from a live cd.

you need internet to install clamav.

recursive scan on the HDD.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac