is an 8 inch Dobsonian big enough ?

qwertywarrior

hi guys

im gonna buy a dobsonian soon and im debating between buying a 10 inch or 8 inch

im an amateur and for the past year ive been using my trusty 80mm refractor and now i feel an upgrade in needed

thanks

Edited by Godlygamer23
Edited title.

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

For astronomy, I've always considered telescopes with larger diameter mirrors or lenses to be better.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

0s9NgeW.png

Now in a Yahoo Answer variant with tons of answers!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

For all the low IQ people out there, this is a Dobsonian telescope.

gso_web.jpg

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Guys, please answer the question or don't post.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

For all the low IQ people out there, this is a Dobsonian telescope.

I knew that, i mean, there is no way one can name something "Dobsonian Telescope" if it's not a Dobsonian Telescope Telescope.

hi guys

im gonna buy a dobsonian soon and im debating between buying a 10 inch or 8 inch

im an amateur and for the past year ive been using my trusty 80mm refractor and now i feel an upgrade in needed

thanks

Found this on this page

" the 10" Skywatcher is the same focal length (apprx) as the 8" so there's no issue with eyepiece height (unless you are very short). I don't think there's much difference between the bases either so I'd go for the 10" as this will provide better views. the 8" is a great all round starter but the 10" is an even better scope in my opinion, providing excellent aperture.

I would always say for visual, buy the biggest aperture you can afford and move about, you'll be glad you did.

rather than eyepieces, budget for a Telrad or other red dot finder (maybe £20-40) a decent star map (£10) and if you can stretch to one, a right angle correct image finder (6x30 or 9x50). these three things will provide more value for money than eyepieces currently I feel. eventually a couple of better eyepieces and a decent barlow will serve you well for many years to come. "