Need some help with a choice

JinRai

Hey guys,

I was watching and checking some reviews and benchmarks, now I am not sure which GPI to get. I was going to get MSI GTX 980 Ti gaming 6G, then noticed that of that model the Zotac brand has better benchmarks and slightly better clock speeds (source: techpowerup.com). The issue I have is that the Zotac is cheaper and out-performs the MSI. I've checked it a few times and don't understand why it's cheaper if it's actually better. So, I really wanted to ask you guys if you could help me any further with this. 

Thanks

EDIT: video of the benchmark tests 

. He was testing the MSI gtx 980 ti Seahawk gpu.

Hey guys,

I was watching and checking some reviews and benchmarks, now I am not sure which GPI to get. I was going to get MSI GTX 980 Ti gaming 6G, then noticed that of that model the Zotac brand has better benchmarks and slightly better clock speeds (source: techpowerup.com). The issue I have is that the Zotac is cheaper and out-performs the MSI. I've checked it a few times and don't understand why it's cheaper if it's actually better. So, I really wanted to ask you guys if you could help me any further with this. 

Thanks

did you get the MSI and zotac benchmarks from 2 different places? it could be the CPU of the test benches were different  

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Either way I wouldnt get the strix or the msi. (I know the strix wasnt mention in OP but wait) Both the msi and strix cards have some coilwhine issues

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

Zotac is a smaller brand, and a lot of people would rather get one from EVGA, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, etc. a name they recognize. 

So that is why it is less expensive, the other brands you are paying for their logo.

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

did you get the MSI and zotac benchmarks from 2 different places? it could be the CPU of the test benches were different  

No, actually. I got it from 1 source. The guy was testing the MSI and saw that the Zotac out-performed it, not a huge margin..but nevertheless it was better. 

No, actually. I got it from 1 source. The guy was testing the MSI and saw that the Zotac out-performed it, not a huge margin..but nevertheless it was better. 

hmm not sure then 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Zotac is a smaller brand, and a lot of people would rather get one from EVGA, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, etc. a name they recognize. 

So that is why it is less expensive, the other brands you are paying for their logo.

That was my initial thought. The Zotac one even has a longer warranty (5 years, if I'm not mistaken). 

That was my initial thought. The Zotac one even has a longer warranty (5 years, if I'm not mistaken). 

everybody has a brand they prefer, i like EVGA for NVidia GPUs, That is my preference.

It is your choice, but keep in mind that larger companies like Asus may have better customer support for things like troubleshooting or handling RMAs

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Either way I wouldnt get the strix or the msi. (I know the strix wasnt mention in OP but wait) Both the msi and strix cards have some coilwhine issues

Could you elaborate on that? Do you mean the cooling? So, if the MSI has that known issue..should I get a Zotac then?

everybody has a brand they prefer, i like EVGA for NVidia GPUs, That is my preference.

It is your choice, but keep in mind that larger companies like Asus may have better customer support for things like troubleshooting or handling RMAs

True. The only issue is that I am new to these brands. Last time I build a pc was like 15 years ago. Just don;t want to make any mistakes. Trying to be careful here haha

True. The only issue is that I am new to these brands. Last time I build a pc was like 15 years ago. Just don;t want to make any mistakes. Trying to be careful here haha

then the best thing to do is look at videos and reviews online

Solitaire. 

then the best thing to do is look at videos and reviews online

Yes, that's why I'm here. Kinda got confused. The zotac is even bigger. What would you recommend? 

Yes, that's why I'm here. Kinda got confused. The zotac is even bigger. What would you recommend? 

personally, i am a huge fan of EVGA FTW ACX2.0, but for you, it depends on how much room you have in your case and your PSU wattage. PCPartpicker will tell you if it fits in your case

Solitaire. 

personally, i am a huge fan of EVGA FTW ACX2.0, but for you, it depends on how much room you have in your case and your PSU wattage. PCPartpicker will tell you if it fits in your case

Yeah, am checking it just now. I was considering to go with SLI at some point. The zotac one is a 3 slot card and msi is 2. Just for the zotac I maybe have to change my build. Checking now.  

Yeah, am checking it just now. I was considering to go with SLI at some point. The zotac one is a 3 slot card and msi is 2. Just for the zotac I maybe have to change my build. Checking now.  

OH

go for the MSI then, 3 slot cards are a pain in the butt. They are heavy, block other PCI slots and generally will use more power. 

Solitaire. 

OH

go for the MSI then, 3 slot cards are a pain in the butt. They are heavy, block other PCI slots and generally will use more power. 

Yeah, it's huge. I wanted to get a mid-tower, with the zotac I have to get a full-tower or mess around in my case. The MSI it is then. Thanks for your help. 

Yeah, it's huge. I wanted to get a mid-tower, with the zotac I have to get a full-tower or mess around in my case. The MSI it is then. Thanks for your help. 

yeah, no problem. just want to specify that there is nothing wrong with Zotac, its just that specific card (3 slot)

Solitaire. 

yeah, no problem. just want to specify that there is nothing wrong with Zotac, its just that specific card (3 slot)

No, I know. Thanks anyways :)