Overclocking broke my GPU...

Yoo Song Won

I was using MSI Afterburner to overclock my GPU and was the first time I've done this, but my MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX N570 went dead later on... The temperature went up to 91 degrees but went back down when using 3D mark... I only increased the core clock by 40-50 very slowly while taking care but then suddenly cut out and gave a horrible burning smell... What can I do and can I fix it?

Yeah it died. It probably fried the core or somethiung. No fixing this one ;)

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

I dont think that GPU will OC by even 40mhz..... Sounds like you burnt it out big time, leave it to cool and then see if it ill boot, maybe leave it overnight to make sure, but I would be looking at buying a new GPU!!! Thats definatley not and overclocker (speaking for experince ;) )

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

I was using MSI Afterburner to overclock my GPU and was the first time I've done this, but my MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX N570 went dead later on... The temperature went up to 91 degrees but went back down when using 3D mark... I only increased the core clock by 40-50 very slowly while taking care but then suddenly cut out and gave a horrible burning smell... What can I do and can I fix it?

Overclocking a GPU is usually fairly safe, but if the GPU was pretty well used already the overclock probably was the last straw. Don't let it discourage you from overclocking in the future, card probably just couldn't take anymore.

Did you by any chance confuse the core voltage with the core clock? Overclocking the core clock usually has no impact on lifespan, especially if it's a minor overclock.

Have you tried putting another gpu as main card then try to reset the broken one to factory settings?

i forgot how you use one card to rescue the other but there is a way commonly used if you chose wrong bios.

Thermi doesn't overclock, it overcooks....

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I heard that you could put a GPU in an oven to fix it...

Umm... Would you think about sending me the dead card? I want to do an attempted repair/autopsy for it. Pretty likely a shorted mosfet or capacitor. If I fix it, you can have it back for the price of return shipping. pleaseliveintheusapleaseliveintheusapleaseliveintheusa

Might as well make it a coaster. I don't think you can do anything about it since you sounded you fried it.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Umm... Would you think about sending me the dead card? I want to do an attempted repair/autopsy for it. Pretty likely a shorted mosfet or capacitor. If I fix it, you can have it back for the price of return shipping. pleaseliveintheusapleaseliveintheusapleaseliveintheusa

I say take that deal if you really want to fix it. If it's a non-integrated component on the board it may be fixable, if it's a burnt core or other IC there's no point whatsoever to having it fixed. Use the event as an excuse to upgrade your GPU. I know the money isn't always there, but I also know my wife is a lot more understanding of my upgrades if my PC is dead!