What's your opinion on the ASUS Z170 Deluxe motherboard?

I've worked with a lot of Z170 motherboards, and so far the deluxe is my favorite. Currently looking to upgrade from my 8320, I have my eyes on the deluxe as I plan to stay with a 6700K for years to come. Obviously water cooled with a custom loop for maximum overclocking. I'd like to hear your opinion on it.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Z170-DELUXE-ATX-DDR4-Motherboards/dp/B012NH0SL8

blackshades on

I've worked with a lot of Z170 motherboards, and so far the deluxe is my favorite. Currently looking to upgrade from my 8320, I have my eyes on the deluxe as I plan to stay with a 6700K for years to come. Obviously water cooled with a custom loop for maximum overclocking. I'd like to hear your opinion on it.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Z170-DELUXE-ATX-DDR4-Motherboards/dp/B012NH0SL8

IDK, Deluxe boards look nice and usually function well but I'd watch for something like an MSI Mpower since im pretty pissed at Gigabyte with my current SOC Champion problem.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

im using thats boards baby brother and im happy with it 

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

IDK, Deluxe boards look nice and usually function well but I'd watch for something like an MSI Mpower since im pretty pissed at Gigabyte with my current SOC Champion problem.

What issue are you having? MPower is great though. I am considering it, but ASUS just has such a nice BIOS.

blackshades on

What issue are you having? MPower is great though. I am considering it, but ASUS just has such a nice BIOS.

Insane massive waste of money. If you are honestly willing to look at a deluxe motherboard you should be getting x99 because even a x99-A plus a 5820k is gonna be cheaper than a z170 deluxe and a 6700k.

Motherboard: Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($329.75 @ Vuugo) 
Total: $837.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-20 03:05 EDT-0400

Motherboard: Asus Z170-DELUXE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($416.48 @ DirectCanada) 
Total: $905.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-20 03:06 EDT-0400

Hell if you really wanted AC wireless and ASUS bios... The 5820k and an x99-pro (usb 3.1) is a better motherboard in basically every possible fashion over the z170 deluxe and yet the combo is basically the same price.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Insane massive waste of money. If you are honestly willing to look at a deluxe motherboard you should be getting x99 because even a x99-A plus a 5820k is gonna be cheaper than a z170 deluxe and a 6700k.

Hell if you really wanted AC wireless and ASUS bios... The 5820k and an x99-pro (usb 3.1) is a better motherboard in basically every possible fashion over the z170 deluxe and yet the combo is basically the same price.

X99 makes no sense for me at all. I'm not a content creator, and don't plan on doing renders. X99 is also based on the old DMI 2.0 which is rather slow. This includes PCI-E 2.0.  Z170 offers newer features, and with multi-adapter technology coming out; the integrated GPUs can augment the graphics and computer processing of the discrete GPU, further giving Z170 an advantage when gaming. Even beating out the 5820K

ASUS really is my personal favorite brand for motherboards, and I wish to hit some extreme overclocks while being stable. Yes it is a little pricey.

blackshades on

XOC related stuff, RMAing it.

It's not picking up memory channels after changing cache freq

X99 makes no sense for me at all. I'm not a content creator, and don't plan on doing renders. X99 is also based on the old DMI 2.0 which is rather slow. This includes PCI-E 2.0.  Z170 offers newer features, and with multi-adapter technology coming out; the integrated GPUs can augment the graphics and computer processing of the discrete GPU, further giving Z170 an advantage when gaming. Even beating out the 5820K

ASUS really is my personal favorite brand for motherboards, and I wish to hit some extreme overclocks while being stable.

The only time z170 loses to x99 in gaming is stock to stock which is idiotic at best.

dmi 3.0 is irrelevant given the difference in cpu pcie slots.

Calling it right now... The extra cores and cache in DX12 are going to make significantly greater differences than the "best case" 3-4 fps boost from Multi-adapter tech.

Look I'm not saying you can't choose skylake, but it's by FAR the worst price to performance of Haswell, Haswell-E, Broadwell, and Skylake.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($507.33 @ Vuugo) 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($489.50 @ Vuugo) 

He said he's going to. Overclock x99 CPUs are not as good at overclocking as a quad core

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

The only time z170 loses to x99 in gaming is stock to stock which is idiotic at best.

dmi 3.0 is irrelevant given the difference in cpu pcie slots.

Calling it right now... The extra cores and cache in DX12 are going to make significantly greater differences than the "best case" 3-4 fps boost from Multi-adapter tech.

Look I'm not saying you can't choose skylake, but it's by FAR the worst price to performance of Haswell, Haswell-E, Broadwell, and Skylake.

The only time I would see more performance in gaming with DX12, and extra cores would be running 4 titan X's. The heterogeneous multi-adapter technology could boost performance upwards of 20FPS. Most of this is speculation, but very believable. Yes, you're right about Z170 being costly, but for the features I want; X99 will cost more in the end.

blackshades on

He said he's going to. Overclock x99 CPUs are not as good at overclocking as a quad core

The number? Yes (by about 200 Mhz). The result? No.

And look I understand some people just will do skylake no matter what, but it is an terrible investment from a price to performance ratio.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

I have a sponsorship with a company that bins CPU's and can probably get Reece a good deal on a CPU, I know him personally.

Don't say that shit either, my 5820K can do 5.1ghz in HWBOT Prime benchmark

The only time I would see more performance in gaming with DX12, and extra cores would be running 4 titan X's. The heterogeneous multi-adapter technology could boost performance upwards of 20FPS. Most of this is speculation, but very believable. Yes, you're right about Z170 being costly, but for the features I want; X99 will cost more in the end.

https://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/DirectX-Developer-Blog/DirectX-12-Multiadapter-Unreal-Engine-4?ocid=player O yea that 20 fps...

You see more benefit now even in Witcher 3 on DX11 with ONE 980ti than that.

But do what you want.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

https://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/DirectX-Developer-Blog/DirectX-12-Multiadapter-Unreal-Engine-4?ocid=player O yea that 20 fps...

You see more benefit now even in Witcher 3 on DX11 with ONE 980ti than that.

But do what you want.

That's one benchmark. Wait until we have properly integrated the technology. Also doesn't state what CPU they're using.

blackshades on

how does every thread involving skylake turn into a rant between Z170 and X99?

one of the few on-topic replies:

the asus deluxe is a "deluxe" motherboard, at a "deluxe" price. if you have some extra cash to spend (quite a bit of extra cash) go for it. but theres better value motherboards out there.

how does every thread involving skylake turn into a rant between Z170 and X99?

one of the few on-topic replies:

the asus deluxe is a "deluxe" motherboard, at a "deluxe" price. if you have some extra cash to spend (quite a bit of extra cash) go for it. but theres better value motherboards out there.

Because Skylake is a massive waste of money and buying it is objectively a bad decision (at least in the US/CAD/UK). But hey. People do what they want to do.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Because Skylake is a massive waste of money and buying it is objectively a bad decision (at least in the US/CAD/UK). But hey. People do what they want to do.

The two motherboards you listed were the Z170 Deluxe, and the X99-A. The X99-Deluxe is far more than the Z170 deluxe. I don't see your point being valid.

blackshades on

well.. at my local retailer skylake is pocket change difference from haswell refresh...

its not because your retailers are asses with profit margin that none of us should care about a newer platform.

EDIT: i priced it out between the 4790k, 6700k and 5820k

each with fitting MSI krait motherboard, and 16GB of fitting vengeance LP/LPX memory.

Z97: €606.80

Z170: €688.8

X99: €842.9

note: this is the most reliable retailer i know price-wise. they pretty much buy stock from the manufacturer, slap their margin on it, and price it like that.

so the price intel decides their parts are - are pretty much the prices this retailer sells them for.

The two motherboards you listed were the Z170 Deluxe, and the X99-A. The X99-Deluxe is far more than the Z170 deluxe. I don't see your point being valid.

Really? This is literally the exact same point the ltt video fucked up on. A mid range x99 board generally has a significantly greater feature set than most high end z170 motherboards and outside of lacking wireless ac the x99-a [usb3.1] has as good if not a better feature set. (Actually the A also might be the most expensive x99 board to only have one nic but if that actually matters then lol) and the pro is literally better in every way.

The thing is x99 boards inherently come with better connectivity (even the 150 dollar cheaper x99a sli plus matches or surpasses the z170 deluxe in every connectivity except wifi and single nic... Now quality isn't as good, but that's not really the point.)

Compare features not names and you realize how out of its league z-series I7 builds are.

But again do what you will.

@manikyath those prices make x99 uncompetive I won't say otherwise, but it isn't the case in the US. Also the x99 krait is minus the audio solution significantly closer in feature set to the gaming 7 line of z series (because again x99 features and general build quality is so far beyond z series) but even then it still isn't like NA's anti-skylake pricing (esp in us where a 5820k can be had for 40-50 dollars cheaper than a 6700k).

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Really? This is literally the exact same point the ltt video fucked up on. A mid range x99 board generally has a significantly greater feature set than most high end z170 motherboards and outside of lacking wireless ac the x99-a [usb3.1] has as good if not a better feature set. (Actually the A also might be the most expensive x99 board to only have one nic but if that actually matters then lol) and the pro is literally better in every way.

The thing is x99 boards inherently come with better connectivity (even the 150 dollar cheaper x99a sli plus matches or surpasses the z170 deluxe in every connectivity except wifi and single nic... Now quality isn't as good, but that's not really the point.)

Compare features not names and you realize how out of its league z-series I7 builds are.

But again do what you will.

@manikyath those prices make x99 uncompetive I won't say otherwise, but it isn't the case in the US. Also the x99 krait is minus the audio solution significantly closer in feature set to the gaming 7 line of z series (because again x99 features and general build quality is so far beyond z series) but even then it still isn't like NA's anti-skylake pricing (esp in us where a 5820k can be had for 40-50 dollars cheaper than a 6700k).

X99-A is missing a lot of features the Z170 Deluxe has.

Here are a few:

Lower DDR4 supported frequency.

No USB 3.1

No USB type-c connector

No killer nic

No clear cmos button

No anti-pop functionality

Less audio shielding

No integrated graphics (Obiously, but very useful when troubleshooting)

DMI 2.0

PCI-e 2.0

PCI-e isn't direct 

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

X99 had few extra features that I don't need as a user and gamer.

blackshades on

X99-A is missing a lot of features the Z170 Deluxe has.

Here are a few:

Lower DDR4 supported frequency.

No USB 3.1

No USB type-c connector

No killer nic

No clear cmos button

No anti-pop functionality

Less audio shielding

No integrated graphics (Obiously, but very useful when troubleshooting)

DMI 2.0

PCI-e 2.0

PCI-e isn't direct

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

X99 had few extra features that I don't need as a user and gamer.

I have a long line by line response typed up in another tab, but honestly it's brutally apparent (as it has been for a while) it doesn't matter and you won't be changing your mind anyways so I kinda don't want to deal with the response after my response right now.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

I have a long line by line response typed up in another tab, but honestly it's brutally apparent (as it has been for a while) it doesn't matter and you won't be changing your mind anyways so I kinda don't want to deal with the response after my response right now.

Bottom line, lower-end X99 boards don't meet the feature set that I want. X99 doesn't offer extra performance I'll ever use. It will cost me more for the features I want. If I were a video editor, or running 4 titan x's, that's a whole different story.

I forgot to mention my Swiftech Apogee XL fits the 1151 socket; would need to buy a new water block.

blackshades on

Bottom line, lower-end X99 boards don't meet the feature set that I want. X99 doesn't offer extra performance I'll ever use. It will cost me more for the features I want. If I were a video editor, or running 4 titan x's, that's a whole different story.

I forgot to mention my Swiftech Apogee XL fits the 1151 socket; would need to buy a new water block.

My entire arguement the whole time is none of those statements are true. Including that that waterblock is socket 2011 compatible (if you kept the original hardware). But hey. Get what you want.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

My entire arguement the whole time is none of those statements are true. Including that that waterblock is socket 2011 compatible. But hey. Get what you want.

I'm staring at the ASUS prices / features of Z170, and X99 right now. Z170 makes so much more sense for a gamer; including myself.

Don't believe my kit ever came with 2011 mounting hardware. On their website it should have, but I bought mine a long time ago when it was first released. I'll have to check later, but yes 2011 hardware fits 2011-v3. 

EDIT: I do have 2011 mounting hardware.

I want to read your reply as to how X99 has more features for less that I will use.

blackshades on