Fx 8350 with MSI 970 Gaming?

Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,

Last update before I go the benchmark Is running for 8 min now without throttle instead of throttling at 3 min the things I did was go to 4 ghz and change to 1.3 volt

as you lower the voltage you lower stress on your motherboard and heat from your CPU cooler...you could try to lower it even more until you encounter instability, and then up it one notch...but at this point it should not trottle...i suspect a bad instalation of your CPU cooler, maybe the fan won't provide enough air to cool the CPU, or you don't have enough/or too much thermal paste...the way the CPU cooler is mounted is not optimial either with the fan taking air straight from this very hot R9 290 of yours...i understand you can't switch it though, and even then the temps should be perfectly fine especialy with those low voltage settings...man try to lower it even more and inspect your CPU cooling...see if the CPU get hot for real or what?...

huehuehue... touch shit....

dont you have a 8000$ thermal imaging camera at hand?

i do

no :(

i usualy touch shit...

yes, leave ON

Nope after 3 minutes the CpUTIN hit 65 celsius and the clocks came airplane crashing down to 1.4 ghz

And continuing behavior like last time

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

yes, leave ON

Alright the CpUTIN has reached 70 celsius and rising cpu temps are in hw monitor 59 and in aida64 69(average)

You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Nope after 3 minutes the CpUTIN hit 65 celsius and the clocks came airplane crashing down to 1.4 ghz

And continuing behavior like last time

well...that's unfortunate, i really don't know what more to say buddy...i'm sorry.

it's the best we can try, maybe lower voltage even more and cut back on multiplier and see what it does?

try 1.3v and 20x200? or 1.25/1.27v and 39x200mhz....i don't know. see how your CPU respond with even less voltages even though these should no longer be of any concerns by now since temps are fine across the board maybe something else escapes me...

Would you try 1.28v and 39x200mhz and report? does it boot?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

well...that's unfortunate, i really don't know what more to say buddy...i'm sorry.

it's the best we can try, maybe lower voltage even more and cut back on multiplier and see what it does?

try 1.3v and 20x200? or 1.25/1.27v and 39x200mhz....i don't know. see how your CPU respond with even less voltages even though these should no longer be of any concerns by now since temps are fine across the board maybe something else escapes me...

Would you try 1.28v and 39x200mhz and report? does it post?

Well it seems that it has some thing to do with my cpu / CpUTIN and aida64 is saying my cpu has hit 72 celsius but hw monitor doesn't

Alright it just hit 75 celsius but really throttling there

Alright it just hit 75 celsius but really throttling there

is your CPU cooler properly mounted with decent thermal paste application?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Restarted my pc and switched to 4 ghz and 1.3 volts

is your CPU cooler properly mounted with decent thermal paste application?

I could try and the thermal paste was cm paste which came with the cooler

I could try and the thermal paste was cm paste which came with the cooler

so aida report 75c on the CPU but hwmonitor report much lower temps? interesting...you should download core temp to have a third opinion on this?

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

what about the speed of the fan on the CPU cooler? decent speed? it turns...fast?

so aida report 75c on the CPU but hwmonitor report much lower temps? interesting...you should download core temp to have a third opinion on this?

or just use AMD Overdrive, which should give you a better idea anyway.... once you figure out the "thermal margin" bullshit that is

what about the speed of the fan on the CPU cooler? decent speed? it turns...fast?

core temp says the same a hw monitor but the hw monitor temps of the CpUTIN is the same as the cpu temp in aida64

I am eating for 30 min so afk

or just use AMD Overdrive, which should give you a better idea anyway.... once you figure out the "thermal margin" bullshit that is

i had some issues like that on my AMD machine as well and it's hard to trouble shoot at this point i would need to get my hands into his machine and start touching shit to see how hot the CPU and VRM can be...he posted snaps earlier in which all the temps where in check (HWmonitor) but then if they where the CPU shouldnt be trottling...even the motherboard temps where more than fine and now he is running only 1.3v through the CPU so pretty much anything motherboard and cpu cooling wise should be able to handle it fine without trottling, i'm starting to think something i wrong with the mounting/setup of that CPU cooler maybe?

i had some issues like that on my AMD machine as well and it's hard to trouble shoot at this point i would need to get my hands into his machine and start touching shit to see how hot the CPU and VRM can be...he posted snaps earlier in which all the temps where in check (HWmonitor) but then if they where the CPU shouldnt be trottling...even the motherboard temps where more than fine and now he is running only 1.3v through the CPU so pretty much anything motherboard and cpu cooling wise should be able to handle it fine without trottling, i'm starting to think something i wrong with the mounting/setup of that CPU cooler maybe?

i do

i do

Last update before I go the benchmark Is running for 8 min now without throttle instead of throttling at 3 min the things I did was go to 4 ghz and change to 1.3 volt

as you lower the voltage you lower stress on your motherboard and heat from your CPU cooler...you could try to lower it even more until you encounter instability, and then up it one notch...but at this point it should not trottle...i suspect a bad instalation of your CPU cooler, maybe the fan won't provide enough air to cool the CPU, or you don't have enough/or too much thermal paste...the way the CPU cooler is mounted is not optimial either with the fan taking air straight from this very hot R9 290 of yours...i understand you can't switch it though, and even then the temps should be perfectly fine especialy with those low voltage settings...man try to lower it even more and inspect your CPU cooling...see if the CPU get hot for real or what?...

i do

no :(

i usualy touch shit...

the MSI board isnt able to handle more i guess....

MSI 970 Gaming DOES have a limitation.

he's using a cheap 4 phase asrock board with a small VRM heatsink, but this board at 1.3v should not trottle...the MSI gaming 970 is a 6 phase board it can handle 1.4v+ easily...his board is cheaper than that but still it should handle the CPU just fine with reduced vcore and as i said he posted shots of HWmonitor earlier and the board's regulators where only at 65c so the board is not really the issue AFAIK.

ALSO keep in mind aida is putting a 100% load on your CPU..no games will ever do that...they usualy use like 50 to 70% of your CPU tops...so your temps should be much better if your just running games in which cases your CPU should no longer trottle right!?

he's using a cheap 4 phase asrock board with a small VRM heatsink, but this board at 1.3v should not trottle...the MSI gaming 970 is a 6 phase board it can handle 1.4v+ easily...his board is cheaper than that but still it should handle the CPU just fine with reduced vcore and as i said he posted shots of HWmonitor earlier and the board's regulators where only at 65c so the board is not really the issue AFAIK.

4+1 140w TDP should easily handle atleast 1.40v, maybe even 1.4250v with a good overclocker chip....

he's using a cheap 4 phase asrock board with a small VRM heatsink, but this board at 1.3v should not trottle...the MSI gaming 970 is a 6 phase board it can handle 1.4v+ easily...his board is cheaper than that but still it should handle the CPU just fine with reduced vcore and as i said he posted shots of HWmonitor earlier and the board's regulators where only at 65c so the board is not really the issue AFAIK.ALSO keep in mind aida is putting a 100% load on your CPU..no games will ever do that...they usualy use like 50 to 70% of your CPU tops...so your temps should be much better if your just running games in which cases your CPU should no longer trottle right!?

Alright my cpu has being stable for 23 min and hasn't throttled but this is without the gpu

I am now also stress testing the gpu and I will update when something happens

Alright when I turned the cpu and GPU on the cpu clock went to 13 mhz for half a sec also the hyper transport clock did the same

But only one time

Alright my cpu has being stable for 23 min and hasn't throttled but this is without the gpu

I am now also stress testing the gpu and I will update when something happens

Great, also again, keep in mind games will not load your CPU to 100% so it will be easier for it when playing real games and stuff...

You will also want to do some further testing i believe as far as how low the volts can go while remaining stable or the opposite how high the multiplier you can go without getting in ''trottling territory'' in order to maximise the performance of your overclock without having it pushing too far.

At this point you should do a couple real gaming test and see what happen...monitor CPU temps and clockspeed.

If it's stable 100% you might be able to lower the volts even more.

Nope throttling of turn down the voltage and if that causes something g I am recounting my cooler

Great, also again, keep in mind games will not load your CPU to 100% so it will be easier for it when playing real games and stuff...You will also want to do some further testing i believe as far as how low the volts can go while remaining stable or the opposite how high the multiplier you can go without getting in ''trottling territory'' in order to maximise the performance of your overclock without having it pushing too far.At this point you should do a couple real gaming test and see what happen...monitor iU temps and clockspeed.

I will try with something like dying light or battlefiled