High Stock Temps

iTonyy

I was running a reference temp test at stock speeds on my 3570k with prime95 blend and I found that

at stock settings I was getting 80~84C after only 12 hr with an H80i (both fans running at 900rpm) inside of a C70 with 3 front intake fans.

At this point I'm going to test whether the problem lies with my cooler or the cpu

I'm going to first replace the thermal paste with arctic mx-4 and compare results of the H80i and stock intel cooler.

I'm also considering deliding the cpu, however I'm just wonder whether or not I can RMA this with intel if it does turn out to be the cpu's problem

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n3245[/ATTACH]

Update:

I ran prime95 blend for another 12hr on the intel stock cooler (which i'm using the residue of H80i thermal compound, yes i know this is bad i just have not picked up mx-4 yet and didn't want to waste time)

With stock cooler I was able to get 76~81C at the same stock settings however i noticed that the cpu was running at 1.41V this time so that might of made the temp difference.

Now I'm thinking it may be a problem with both the CPU and the cooler as the intel cooler with very inadequate thermal compound was actually able to outperform the H80i however both are reaching 80C at stock settings.....

I'm going to test again with mx-4 and H80i and to see if shaking it got any potential air bubbles out

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

when did you notice that it was getting hot and wouldn't that affect your pc running that hot?

You didn't tell us what voltage its on (cpu-z, DL it).

Try remounting it :P

I'm betting user error.

I know try this you know it makes sense it has to be the way forward

sorry guys only messing

when did you notice that it was getting hot and wouldn't that affect your pc running that hot?
It's only that temp at load

it runs normally 30~35C

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

You didn't tell us what voltage its on (cpu-z, DL it).

Try remounting it :P

I'm betting user error.

I'm running at stock settings, haven't changed anything

and I'm going to try remounting after i pick up the mx-4

Still, open cpu-z and tell us the voltage while under load and which mobo are you using?

Also try shaking your case to get the air bubbles out of the pump area. Even though there shouldn't be any at all, that can destroy performance.

Ya, check cpu-z - your bios may be pumping your voltage up to high. I would try new compound. Don't delide the CPU or you cannot RMA....

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

You should reapply the thermal paste and tell us the results and see if that improves the temperature. There is a guide by Linus about cleaning up old thermal paste and applying new ones on:

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

DO NOT DELID. It doesn't do crap for modern cpus and voids your warranty obviously.

Whats the ambient (room) temp? Is the case located in a ventilated area? As in, not in a cabinet... or an oven..?

When you applied the h80i, what method did you use to apply the thermal paste? If you spread it yourself, that's most likely the issue, as the best way (do not start this argument),is to let apply a line or a blob in the middle and let the heatsink itself spread it. There's not a considerable difference between even the crappiest thermal paste and the best these days (maybe 1-3 degrees), so changing paste likely won't matter...

Trying to think of what it could be... You have the screws or however its mounted installed properly? I too would like to see a screenshot of CPU-Z...

Is the pump on the h80i running?? Are all the fan headers plugged in? Can you hear the pump running (soft humming noise) while its on? It could either not be plugged in, or the unit itself could be DOA. That's honestly the only thing that could make sense. Water cooling can keep an idle pc cool enough without actually running the pump, due to the high thermal capacity of water.. But when its actually putting out 125watts + of heat then its gonna struggle...

Report back and let us know!

DO NOT DELID. It doesn't do crap for modern cpus and voids your warranty obviously. Whats the ambient (room) temp? Is the case located in a ventilated area? As in' date=' not in a cabinet... or an oven..? When you applied the h80i, what method did you use to apply the thermal paste? If you spread it yourself, that's most likely the issue, as the best way (do not start this argument),is to let apply a line or a blob in the middle and let the heatsink itself spread it. There's not a considerable difference between even the crappiest thermal paste and the best these days (maybe 1-3 degrees), so changing paste likely won't matter... Trying to think of what it could be... You have the screws or however its mounted installed properly? I too would like to see a screenshot of CPU-Z... Is the pump on the h80i running?? Are all the fan headers plugged in? Can you hear the pump running (soft humming noise) while its on? It could either not be plugged in, or the unit itself could be DOA. That's honestly the only thing that could make sense. Water cooling can keep an idle pc cool enough without actually running the pump, due to the high thermal capacity of water.. But when its actually putting out 125watts + of heat then its gonna struggle... Report back and let us know![/quote']

Don't be so but hurt, he should be able to give deliding a try and succeed relatively easily.

Sounds scary but it's not

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Still, open cpu-z and tell us the voltage while under load and which mobo are you using?

Also try shaking your case to get the air bubbles out of the pump area. Even though there shouldn't be any at all, that can destroy performance.

it runs at 1.152~1.60v on an asrock extreme 4

DO NOT DELID. It doesn't do crap for modern cpus and voids your warranty obviously.

Whats the ambient (room) temp? Is the case located in a ventilated area? As in, not in a cabinet... or an oven..?

When you applied the h80i, what method did you use to apply the thermal paste? If you spread it yourself, that's most likely the issue, as the best way (do not start this argument),is to let apply a line or a blob in the middle and let the heatsink itself spread it. There's not a considerable difference between even the crappiest thermal paste and the best these days (maybe 1-3 degrees), so changing paste likely won't matter...

Trying to think of what it could be... You have the screws or however its mounted installed properly? I too would like to see a screenshot of CPU-Z...

Is the pump on the h80i running?? Are all the fan headers plugged in? Can you hear the pump running (soft humming noise) while its on? It could either not be plugged in, or the unit itself could be DOA. That's honestly the only thing that could make sense. Water cooling can keep an idle pc cool enough without actually running the pump, due to the high thermal capacity of water.. But when its actually putting out 125watts + of heat then its gonna struggle...

Report back and let us know!

The case is situated right under my desk with plenty of airflow and my ambient temps are about 20C

I'm currently using the pre-applied thermal compound that the H80i comes with and yes the pump on

I'm also planning to remount the cooler to see if that makes any differences....

DO NOT DELID. It doesn't do crap for modern cpus and voids your warranty obviously. Whats the ambient (room) temp? Is the case located in a ventilated area? As in' date=' not in a cabinet... or an oven..? When you applied the h80i, what method did you use to apply the thermal paste? If you spread it yourself, that's most likely the issue, as the best way (do not start this argument),is to let apply a line or a blob in the middle and let the heatsink itself spread it. There's not a considerable difference between even the crappiest thermal paste and the best these days (maybe 1-3 degrees), so changing paste likely won't matter... Trying to think of what it could be... You have the screws or however its mounted installed properly? I too would like to see a screenshot of CPU-Z... Is the pump on the h80i running?? Are all the fan headers plugged in? Can you hear the pump running (soft humming noise) while its on? It could either not be plugged in, or the unit itself could be DOA. That's honestly the only thing that could make sense. Water cooling can keep an idle pc cool enough without actually running the pump, due to the high thermal capacity of water.. But when its actually putting out 125watts + of heat then its gonna struggle... Report back and let us know![/quote']

Don't be so but hurt, he should be able to give deliding a try and succeed relatively easily.

I didn't really mention in the original post but delidding was going to be a last resort option if intel doesn't allow me to RMA

Yeah you have an air bubble in your pump, or it isn't seated right. Just un-mount the rad and raise it up as high as you can while your case is on its side. Also tighten down your pump as tight as you can.

You wont be able to use an h80 with a delidded CPU.

i see, id rather delid it for better temps anyway. the performance increase is enough to warrant a warranty void for me :)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Yeah you have an air bubble in your pump, or it isn't seated right. Just un-mount the rad and raise it up as high as you can while your case is on its side. Also tighten down your pump as tight as you can.

i read that it works fine if the cpu mounting bracket secures down the ihs

so that way it mounting the cooler would be the same as you would normally do it

Also did you mean just unmount the rad and shake it while cpu block still attached?

Flagged you for being an rude and disrespectful. How is that being butt hurt anyway? This is supposed to be a friendly forum, so either be polite or don't post. You're opinion means just as much as mine, so be respectful, and try not to come off as an arrogant a-hole. If you had read my entire post instead of the first sentence, you probably would know I don't think it's scary, its stupid and pointless in this situation. You gain UP TO 5C for deliding it, and there's no point in gaining 5C when there's clearly a problem that needs to be corrected? Clearly you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Don't listen to this idiot. There's something wrong with your H80. Fix the problem instead of doing something stupid to try to compensate for it, that won't give you enough performance to make up for the problem.

I wouldn't say that, Deliding dramatically lowers the temp if you are having the same problem the OP is. I'd only do it if I had the money to buy a new one and intel didn't let me RMA. I had a 3770k running at 85C with an H80 with stock settings and I was able to return it to the store I bought it from, intel will probably let him RMA it though, because if he's getting those temps with an h80, it's probably not even stable with the stock cooler on.

Do you mean 1.16? 1.6v is extremely high.

Easy solution - put the stock heatsink on it. If it still runs hot, it's the CPU, if it runs cool, it's the H80.

Easy solution - put the stock heatsink on it. If it still runs hot, it's the CPU, if it runs cool, it's the H80.
tried it, found out most likely problem with both....

Really? The way you help people is by giving them the information and letting them decide what to do with their goods, by doing this they can make the best decision possible, not by telling them not to do this or that. You can always tell them your opinion like: "hay, this is a really cool idea, i like it, it could benifit you in such ways and it's not hard to achieve"

from his recent comment i can safely say it's the cpu that is his problem and by deliding it he can fix the problem and have little downtime or he can RMA it and not be able to use his system for a long time.

And me telling you to not be "but hurt" is a perfectly reasonable response to someone who is trying to make someones decisions for them.

At the end of the day you'll go back to telling people what to do, he'll go and do whatever he likes and it won't affect you in any way... and neither will my contextual remark!

Hi tony :)

Here is my opinion and you can you can completely disregard it or use it as your own.

I think that that the performance benefit from even a normal temped 3570k being delid would be worth the risk involved, on the other-hand you're situation is different.

I think it'd be a good idea to RMA it and if the second one doesn't perform satisfactory or doesn't get the overclock you want it to (because of heat) you should consider deliding it.

also if you don't want your system to be down for to long then don't be afraid to give it a try, it's really not dangerous if you use the correct tools :)