What's Your opinion on the subject Computer Addiction?

I have a weird addiction, I get more satisfaction on tweaking hardware for more Fps and making the game look as good as possible to Fps ratio than actually playing the games

Same. I love troubleshooting and repairing. As far as PC games go, I like install and mess with settings. I've modded Skyrim, GTA IV and Minecraft more than I've played them. I read about video games much more than I play them. I can spend hours messing with hardware and software without feeling bad. I attribute it to learning something new, or solving a problem. But if I play games for more than a hour or two, I start to feel like I am wasting time and being unproductive.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

I have a weird addiction, I get more satisfaction on tweaking hardware for more Fps and making the game look as good as possible to Fps ratio than actually playing the games

Same. I love troubleshooting and repairing. As far as PC games go, I like install and mess with settings. I've modded Skyrim, GTA IV and Minecraft more than I've played them. I read about video games much more than I play them. I can spend hours messing with hardware and software without feeling bad. I attribute it to learning something new, or solving a problem. But if I play games for more than a hour or two, I start to feel like I am wasting time and being unproductive.

I think that there are a lot of people like this, myself included.  I've spent less time gaming and more time making unnecessary upgrades, tweaks and modifications on my pc since I built it in february, as well as buttloads of benchmarks.  I've also spent way too much money on hardware that I dont really need, as well as other random accessories and whatnot.  I just love it!  I'm about to install a few new fans I don't need that just got dropped off at my door while writing this.

As far as it being a problem in my life, I should've studied more for an upcoming work related exam that I've been putting off that would give me a decent 10-20% raise, but I keep putting it off despite spending plenty of time with my pc.  AND I probably should've gone to the dentist about 3 months ago to get my wisdom teeth pulled but I think the gtx 980 was worth it.   so yeah I guess I'd probably be addicted lol

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

I think that there are a lot of people like this, myself included. I've spent less time gaming and more time making unnecessary upgrades, tweaks and modifications on my pc since I built it in february, as well as buttloads of benchmarks. I've also spent way too much money on hardware that I dont really need, as well as other random accessories and whatnot. I just love it! I'm about to install a few new fans I don't need that just got dropped off at my door while writing this.

As far as it being a problem in my life, I should've studied more for an upcoming work related exam that I've been putting off that would give me a decent 10-20% raise, but I keep putting it off despite spending plenty of time with my pc. AND I probably should've gone to the dentist about 3 months ago to get my wisdom teeth pulled but I think the gtx 980 was worth it. so yeah I guess I'd probably be addicted lol

3 months of tweaking and I got gta v running 1080p 60fps high settings on a r7 260x and a a85500 apu lol

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

what do you mean , i'm addicted ?

I've only been here for two days straight !

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 months of tweaking and I got gta v running 1080p 60fps high settings on a r7 260x and a a85500 apu lol

HOW ???

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

HOW ???

1350 on gpu

Base overclock to 3.9 on cpu

And lots of file editing and tweaking

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

1350 on gpu

Base overclock to 3.9 on cpu

And lots of file editing and tweaking

I did the same with the original Far Cry in 06. My laptop's GPU had 32MB of RAM and the game required 64MB, recommended 128MB. Fun stuff!

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

I will admit I am addicted and it's affecting my life. but recently I have been trying to do other hobbies like bike riding,pig raising, and building stuff.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

I will admit I am addicted and it's affecting my life. but recently I have been trying to do other hobbies like bike riding,pig raising, and building stuff.

Pig raising?! [emoji33]

I am addicted to oxygen, I can't seem to go more than a minute with out it.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

Pig raising?! [emoji33]

indeed in the states there this thing called 4-h were you raise a animal for market

its fun and you get money

I have been doing it for like 7 years and my sister I think has done it for 11

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

Disclaimer:  didn't read the comments...just wanted to add mine.  Hopefully this will reach out to some of you that think that spending a ton of time with computers, tablets, etc. is somehow bad...it can be, but not always.

First, I'll start with the fact that too much of anything can potentially be bad...but it doesn't necessarily mean it is.  If you THINK you are addicted though, please get help.  Anything is a possibility.  Also, this post isn't meant for me to brag.  I'm not bragging, there are other more successful people then I and I encourage them to share their thoughts.  I am merely pointing out my life experience.  Finally, sorry if things were a bit jumbled, this is all just kind of falling out of my head.

I am 33 years old.  I was a child of early tech.  I owned a nintendo, super nintendo, and various other consoles (including a 3DO!  We bought it on clearance along with about 20 games for less than $50 at walmart...the games were $3 each...and btw the 3DO had some good games!).  I also at one point had an IBM XT compatible, a Macintosh SE, etc. I grew up in a physically abusive household that quite often went without electricity or running water due to being poor.  That lead to me finding avenues (when the electric was on) to shut out everything around me. (btw, with the exception of the 3DO, our consoles typically came via churches, etc. donating Christmas gifts to our family...they also donated shoes, clothing, etc.  We couldn't afford any of that on our own.  My mom was a single mom working crap jobs her whole life. Even the men she brought home with her wouldn't work or help support her family)   I was an outsider and made few friends at school because we were always moving...every 2 years or so, yet my online friends were a constant...but I'm getting a bit ahead.  I first picked up on programming at a VERY young age...I don't remember the exact date...but i'm talking 'just old enough to read'...something like 5-6 years old.  No joke.  We had a Tandy Color Computer 2 (courtesy of my dad...a TV repairman who got in a severe car accident that nearly killed him and was shipped away to a nursing home where he still lives to this day due to drunken driving...he wasn't the abusive one.  The man that replaced him was, but that's not the point of my post) with a giant book full of apps and games that you could type in (in BASIC) manually.  I typed, line per line a somewhat long space ship game where you'd navigate through asteroids.  I promptly modified it to see what would happen.  I became addicted.    My curiosity peaked, I began trying to write stuff from scratch...some time later I got access to a Macintosh SE.  Loaded on it was HyperCard.  It was all over when i discovered that.  Thousands of hours building really awesome stuff.  I also learned C++ at the age of 14 after being annoyed that the version fo QBASIC included with MS-DOS didn't have a compiler.  At the same time, I acquired broken down PCs and learned how to fix them.  I grabbed books from the library...the original Upgrading and Repairing PCs for instance.  My first internet connection was dialup...we didn't get it until the late 90s...but boy I had fun!  Hung out (and got in trouble on) IRC.  Made several friends online that I still keep in close contact to this date.  Some of us even have a LAN party every year to this day...though it's more of a time to hang out then anything else.  Our 2016 party is in Germany and this years was Canada!

Eventually it all landed me where I am today.  I make an amazing salary (some people would call me 'rich' even though I'm not) at an amazing job, I am also an online publisher and entrepreneur similar to Linus and the Linus Media Group, though not quite as successful (YET!  primarily due to be having 3 kids and my wife being a stay at home parent, also I just started at the end of 2012 and I don't dedicate as much time and effort as I could potentially).  I obtained all of this by being passionate about what I love.  I didn't go to college. I just pursued what i loved.  To this day I don't consider myself addicted even though I spend more time on a computer than most people spend awake.  It just means I'm passionate about what I do.  I like gaming as a hobby...you will find me playing a CS:GO competitive match or two  every night (even though I'm not that great at it...MG2 here! with 1,200+ hours...even though I played 'pre' 1.6 as well as 1.6 and CS:S) and Dota 2 at least 1 night a week...though cooking is actually slowly becoming a whole new hobby for me...I also dearly love spending time with my wife and 3 kids...so you can imagine my days are pretty packed.

Is addition possible?  Sure it is...but don't confuse being passionate with being addicted.  Addiction usually comes with unhealthy behaviors (skipping school or work, not eating, not sleeping, etc...though I've been known to pull an all nighter to finish a programming project or finish a game.)  Is it possible to spend tons of time doing what you love without being addicted?  Sure!  I did, and I know many others that do!  It's part of life.  Our ancestors got skin cancer (via sunburn) horse-playing outside for hours on end.  We rot our brains by being glued to a screen.  It's all evolution.  How you spend your time isn't of consequence, it's the overall results of spending that time on whatever you are doing that determines addiction.  If a Korean dude dies from heart failure due to playing an MMO 72 hours straight without rest or nourishment, that's addition.  If a programmer is on crunch time (within reason) while making the next big thing or a a gamer is prepping for his next big tournament, that isn't.  Just food for thought.  There is an article in our local newspaper about a 100 year old lady that has been working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week for 60 years.  She loves interacting with people and loves doing her job.  Is it an addiction?  I'd say no.  She loves doing it, and she has lived to be older than most people that are reading this forum will. She's happy.