Upgrading from 670 to 980ti. Anything I should know?

Picky

Is upgrading a graphics card as simple as remove old and install new. Boot up PC and play? Do I have to uninstall/reinstall drivers, any kind of regedits, or anything of this nature? It's been a long time since I've upgraded my PC and don't know if anything's changed.

Is upgrading a graphics card as simple as remove old and install new. Boot up PC and play? Do I have to uninstall/reinstall drivers, any kind of regedits, or anything of this nature? It's been a long time since I've upgraded my PC and don't know if anything's changed.

I would reinstall the drivers to be safe

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Give me some money?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

It's been a long time since I've upgraded my PC and don't know if anything's changed.

what CPU are you running?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

The power in itself is great but it doesn't come without a cost... nothing comes without a cost in such a shallow world as ours. The power embedded deep within it's card is a great atraction as one can easily imagine, but the darkness that is contained inside of it, it will try to consume you, to deplete your inner energy until it has completely taken over your body. At that point, it is too late dear Picky, the inner light inside of you is gone and you'll be nothing but a shell to the power of the 980ti. Are you ready to face such an astrocity as this one? Is your mind and body ready to face such a strong opponent? Only you know if you can handle such an enormous amount of power but if you do deface such power as this one, than you shall be qualified to experience the glorious mastery of the 980ti. 

snip!

played too much of the witcher 3 or what?! :huh:

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

heck i upgraded from a 670 to a 980 and got only one thing to say , enjoy them framerates with everything maxed out ^_^

CPU : i5-8600k , Motherboard: Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming , RAM: G.skill Ripjaws 16GB 3200mhz ,GPU : Gigabyte 1070 G1 ,Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ,Storage : Seagate 1TB HDD , Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB , KINGSTON SHFS37A/240G HYPERX FURY 240GB  , PSU : Corsair RM 750X , Display(s) : LG Flatron W2243S , Dell U2715H , Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212x Evo, Keyboard: Coolermaster Rapid-i , Drevo Tyrfing Black , Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S, Mouse : Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum , Windows 10 

The power in itself is great but it doesn't come without a cost... nothing comes without a cost in such a shallow world as ours. The power embedded deep within it's card is a great atraction as one can easily imagine, but the darkness that is contained inside of it, it will try to consume you, to deplete your inner energy until it has completely taken over your body. At that point, it is too late dear Picky, the inner light inside of you is gone and you'll be nothing but a shell to the power of the 980ti. Are you ready to face such an astrocity as this one? Is your mind and body ready to face such a strong opponent? Only you know if you can handle such an enormous amount of power but if you do deface such power as this one, than you shall be qualified to experience the glorious mastery of the 980ti. 

played too much of the witcher 3 or what?! :huh:

LOL i actually saw a post really similiar to that on the witcher 3 forums... something about a beggar... at least the writing is really similiar but still, gotta know what he's smoking

GPU:Gigabyte G1 980Ti 6GB GDDR5  CPU:Intel i7 6700K 4.0Ghz + Cooler Master 412S RAM:8GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (x2) Motherboard:Z170-A Krait Gaming HDD/SSD:1TB Western Digital & 120GB Kingston HyperX Case:NZXT S340 + 3x Corsair AF 140mm + 1x Corsair AF 120mm + 1x Corsair SP 120mm PSU:Seasonic M12II Evo 620W 80 Plus Display: Benq XL2430T 144Hz Sound: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro & JVC SZ1000 + Schiit Vali + Fiio E17