5960X not performing to its full potential in Vegas 13

ClownFace1511

I have been using Vegas 13 for some time on my i5 4690K and with my new system having a 5960X I thought that I would see a huge difference in rendering time but I don't. My render times are about the same on my 5960X compared to my 4690k. When rendering the 5960X only sits at 30% and doesn't seem like it is being taxed heavy enough. I have done a little research and still haven't been able to find the cause of this problem.

My two 980ti's are not used during render due to the fact that Vegas says that there are no gpus available for CUDA which is quiet sad. I have my footage on a WD Black 4tb and thought that it might be the bottleneck but when moving the footage to an ssd I found no improvement. I have also given vegas 12gb of ram and although that gets maxed out I don't see any performance increase. I am using Sony's AVC,MVC preset and I have changed the bitrate to max. If I drop the bitrate down to 15,000,000 it makes no difference than the current 25,999,360. Here are my current render settings:

hrjHdyS.png

MUWND5b.png

Any help would be appreciated, I have looked everywhere and haven't found much help.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

Sorry, really not sure. Nothing is being bottlenecked, but I don't see why it wouldn't use all of the CPU. How many cores are being used when rendering?

My Rig:

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @4.3 GHz; Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus; Cooler: Cryorig H5 Ultimate; RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Black; GPU: MSI R9 380 4GB; Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Window; SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB and 500GB; HDD: WD Blue 1TB; PSU: EVGA 750W P2

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 29UM57; Headset: HyperX Cloud II; Keyboard: Gamdias Hermes Mechanical; Mouse: Zowie EC2-A

Sorry, really not sure. Nothing is being bottlenecked, but I don't see why it wouldn't use all of the CPU. How many cores are being used when rendering?

All cores are being used during the render. What I am doing atm is transfering the footage to a spare 240gb ssd as well as the vegas file. I will render out and see what happens.

Moved every single bit of footage to a spare ssd, still no prevail. Same render times. Ahwell, looks like im stuck with it.

Moved every single bit of footage to a spare ssd, still no prevail. Same render times. Ahwell, looks like im stuck with it.

Was this copy of Vegas Pro 13 a fresh install on this system with a 5960X? Or was the system upgraded to a 5960X while Vegas Pro was installed? Either way, start Vegas Pro whilst holding Ctrl+Shift, and clear the preferences, cache, etc. Then attempt a render, and report back how it goes.

Fresh install of vegas on a new computer. No luck with preference reset.

Fresh install of vegas on a new computer. No luck with preference reset.

I think the gpu's are being used..it just not reporting it properly

why your cpu is only at 30%

you could do a test by disabling one of the gpu's or disabling them in vegas

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Here is the system at load:

Y9bR3UA.png

Now here is the system during render:

3NpBNOx.png

As you can see the gpu's are used at first (running at 1000mhz) but once the rendering hits 2-3% they completely drop off and do nothing. GPU acceleration is on and I have tried swapping card each card in vegas only to get the same result. You can see that its only using the cpu and ram. Vegas seems to have no support for the CUDA cores for 980ti's. I don't mind it using just the CPU but its using barely any of it.

Here is the system at load:

Now here is the system during render:

As you can see the gpu's are used at first (running at 1000mhz) but once the rendering hits 2-3% they completely drop off and do nothing. GPU acceleration is on and I have tried swapping card each card in vegas only to get the same result. You can see that its only using the cpu and ram. Vegas seems to have no support for the CUDA cores for 980ti's. I don't mind it using just the CPU but its using barely any of it.

as a test...use a stress testing program for the cpu and see if it uses all of the cpu cores

I would try like http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

Using MainConcept AVC instead of Sony AVC allows me to use CUDA which is great but it takes longer than before. Using CPU, CUDA or OpenCL the time is longer by 10 minutes. Must be something with the lack of support in Sony's codec.

as a test...use a stress testing program for the cpu and see if it uses all of the cpu cores

I would try like http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

Have done this already, Here's a link to my build log. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390225-scratch-build-project-ravage-custom-watercooled-computer-table-build-by-17-yr-old/page-13#entry6167173

Using MainConcept AVC instead of Sony AVC allows me to use CUDA which is great but it takes longer than before. Using CPU, CUDA or OpenCL the time is longer by 10 minutes. Must be something with the lack of support in Sony's codec.

Have done this already, Here's a link to my build log. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390225-scratch-build-project-ravage-custom-watercooled-computer-table-build-by-17-yr-old/page-13#entry6167173

skip to 6:40..but take a look at 0.25 first..and download the codec (unless you already have it)

Installed the codec, did all of what she said. Renders 15mins longer....... Ahwell, Ill have to stick with Sony's concept.

Installed the codec, did all of what she said. Renders 15mins longer....... Ahwell, Ill have to stick with Sony's concept.

how was the cpu usage?

how was the cpu usage?

CPU Usage is the same, still around 30-40%. I think vegas just doesn't like the 5960x.

After some experimenting I found that vegas is the problem. Using Sony's MainConcept I had the bitrate at its max, being 25,999,360. I rendered out a 8min clip in 17:40mins, during this render the cpu was just below 40% usage. This render was done with cpu only as CUDA was not supported. I then used the Mainconcept codec with an avg bitrate of 50,000,000 and max of 135,000,000 rendering out the same clip in 18:20 mins with the cpu shooting up to around 85% usage. Doubling the bitrate increased the cpu usage and the clip rendered in almost the same time which is really weird. I have come to the conclusion that Vegas 13 and its codecs don't fully support 8 cores properly and that leads to your cpu not using its full potential. If my CPU was running at a higher usage during the first test then the clip would of been rendered faster.