EVGA GTX 980ti FTW or ASUS STRIX GTX 980ti

razzack3000

I'd recommend the Strix, IMO the card is built better and I see them clocking quite well on hwbot. The Strix basically has a 980 Matrix PCB with a few features changed around. The FTW also isn't going to be getting a waterblock last I checked, the Strix already has one I believe.  (So if you ever plan on a custom loop, you will not have to go after alternative methods.)

Temps seem identical, noise level on Strix is only a tad bit higher.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_980_Ti_STRIX_Gaming/34.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_980_Ti_SC_Plus/34.html

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

strix imo. I may be bias but ive done too much research to be wrong

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

Im dissapointed with EVGA´s Asic and pricepolicy this time. I say Strix. Its a good Card.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I've got the Strix 980Ti I'd recommend it to anyone - it's well built and silent up until the fans hit the mid/late 50s % RPM speed. It's quiet up until around 70% then starts to get loud.

However of the 980 Tis I've owned every single one of em was loud come the 75%+ fan RPM.

My particular card boosts to 14xx off the default clock, stock settings - which is higher than most people I come across. Temps stay in the mid/late 60s, which again is very good for any 980Ti. It's a rock solid card, no coil whine on mine.

Basically as with any card you'll be RNG based as to whether your actual GPU is good (silicon lottery) - which is the same as every card apart from the Kingpin where you will pay for that privilege. (And pay big).

• 4 months later...

I know its old topic but really didnt want to make one: right now i am in market for new GPU to upgrade from mu old msi gtx660 and i was actually looking in between these two. I would go for strix but from what i have found out is that strix is pretty big and it has sagging issue for many people. No one here has that problem? I have fractal design r5 and asus pro gamer z97 motherrboard if thats any help to answer.

Evga is good too, i would have no problem going with either of them. Also does strix really recommends atleast 700w, in one review i found that out.

avoid strix

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 hour ago, ToriksLV said:

I know its old topic but really didnt want to make one: right now i am in market for new GPU to upgrade from mu old msi gtx660 and i was actually looking in between these two. I would go for strix but from what i have found out is that strix is pretty big and it has sagging issue for many people. No one here has that problem? I have fractal design r5 and asus pro gamer z97 motherrboard if thats any help to answer.

Evga is good too, i would have no problem going with either of them. Also does strix really recommends atleast 700w, in one review i found that out.

i have the 980ti Strix in my build right now and it does sag, it runs hot too (75c+ under load with 55% fanspeed) and it is quite loud as well anything past 55% fanspeed is way too loud for me personally...i think there are much better versions of the GTX 980ti out there such as the MSI gaming 6G and EVGA FTW/Classified for example.

also, mine run on a 550W PSU no problem i have an overclocked core i7 and the GPU is also overclocked i have 4 ram sticks, 3SSD, 1SSHD, 5 fans, led kits etc...700W is rediculous you don't need anywhere near that amount all you need is a good quality PSU i use the XFX XTR 550W gold and it's more than enough.

EDIT: with the prices right now in the US these would be the better card to get IMHO:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/zotac-video-card-zt9050310p

or 10$ more get you this...i don't know which one is better but i'm pretty sure that both are better than the strix card:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-06gp44996kr

The strix looks better than those cards IMHO, and it's the only strong positive it gets from me, it looks amazing in my system.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I have good psu -  SeaSonic G Series 650 . The only reason  i was considering strix is the speed, its slightly faster and in benchmarks too with price being really similar for both. So most likely evga it will be, never tried anything from them. Thx for the feedback.

1 minute ago, ToriksLV said:

I have good psu -  SeaSonic G Series 650 . The only reason  i was considering strix is the speed, its slightly faster and in benchmarks too with price being really similar for both. So most likely evga it will be, never tried anything from them. Thx for the feedback.

it's one of the highest clocked 980ti out of the box that's true...but if you install msi afterburner and push the slider a little bit they will all be as fast as the strix.

Your PSU is good.