Overclocking Problem with i7 6700k

For some reason on cpu z it says that I have 1400 mhz ram speed but I set it to 2800. Is this a problem?

No, thats perfectly correct. Remember, its double data, so 1400 (x2) = 2800. 1400 means it is running at 2800, and its okay. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

No, thats perfectly correct. Remember, its double digit, so 1400 (x2) = 2800. 1400 means it is running at 2800, and its okay.

Ok thanks you have been a great help.

Ok thanks you have been a great help.

No problem. Were you able to make 4.7ghz stable? Or are you satisfied with 4.6ghz? 

No problem. Were you able to make 4.7ghz stable? Or are you satisfied with 4.6ghz? 

I'll try tonight! I'm excited!

I'll try tonight! I'm excited!

I would load bios defaults, manually enter 2133 for your memory speed, then do your CPU overclocking. This will remove memory from the equation when overclocking. I would I would go no further than 1.42V when trying for 4.7ghz, and to be honest, i wouldnt go beyond 1.4V for a 24/7, 365 stable overclock. If it takes 1.42 for 4.7 to be stable, perhaps you should go back to 1.4, and mess around with the BCLK to see how far beyond 4.6ghz you can go before it becomes unstable. 

I would load bios defaults, manually enter 2133 for your memory speed, then do your CPU overclocking. This will remove memory from the equation when overclocking. I would I would go no further than 1.42V when trying for 4.7ghz, and to be honest, i wouldnt go beyond 1.4V for a 24/7, 365 stable overclock. If it takes 1.42 for 4.7 to be stable, perhaps you should go back to 1.4, and mess around with the BCLK to see how far beyond 4.6ghz you can go before it becomes unstable. 

Whats BCLK? I am an overclocking noob.

Whats BCLK? I am an overclocking noob.

Bus Clock. Sometimes referred to as FSB, or Front Side Bus. Normally it is set to 100 by default, but you can change it. The multiplier you change, is actually multiplying this bus speed. 32x multiplier with a 100 bus speed = 3200mhz. Change the bus to 105, and keep the 32 multiplier, and you get 3360mhz. I will warn you though. Adjusting this BCLK (bus clock) speed will also change your memory speed. Be sure to adjust your memory speed manually after adjusting the bus, to make sure it does not run outside of its specifications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front-side_bus

Bus Clock. Sometimes referred to as FSB, or Front Side Bus. Normally it is set to 100 by default, but you can change it. The multiplier you change, is actually multiplying this bus speed. 32x multiplier with a 100 bus speed = 3200mhz. Change the bus to 105, and keep the 32 multiplier, and you get 3360mhz. I will warn you though. Adjusting this BCLK (bus clock) speed will also change your memory speed. Be sure to adjust your memory speed manually after adjusting the bus, to make sure it does not run outside of its specifications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front-side_bus

How will this help?

How will this help?

Lets say you are stuck at 4.6ghz (multiplier 46, 100 bus clock). You might be able to change the multiplier to x40, and adjust the bus to lets say, 117, you will have a CPU clock speed of 4.68ghz. Not exactly 4.7, but it might be stable. The problem is, your memory speed will also be increased by doing this, so you have to manually lower it back within its rated specifications, or you will not post. The key is finding a balance. 

Lets say you are stuck at 4.6ghz (multiplier 46, 100 bus clock). You might be able to change the multiplier to x40, and adjust the bus to lets say, 117, you will have a CPU clock speed of 4.68ghz. Not exactly 4.7, but it might be stable. The problem is, your memory speed will also be increased by doing this, so you have to manually lower it back within its rated specifications, or you will not post. The key is finding a balance. 

So your saying the less the multiplier is the less voltage it needs.

So your saying the less the multiplier is the less voltage it needs.

No. I am saying that if you cannot get 4.7ghz with 1.4V, try to get 4.68ghz with 1.4V. I am trying to get you close to the number you want. It's a backup plan, in case 4.7ghz is not stable. If you are not satisfied with 4.6, you can try 4.65, 4.68, etc. Overclocking with the bus still requires the same voltage increases. It is just a more precise way to overclock. 

No. I am saying that if you cannot get 4.7ghz with 1.4V, try to get 4.68ghz with 1.4V. I am trying to get you close to the number you want. It's a backup plan, in case 4.7ghz is not stable. If you are not satisfied with 4.6, you can try 4.65, 4.68, etc. Overclocking with the bus still requires the same voltage increases. It is just a more precise way to overclock. 

Oh ok thanks for the information.

And by the way how long should I stress test to validate 4.6 ghz? I stress tested for a hour and a half.

And by the way how long should I stress test to validate 4.6 ghz? I stress tested for a hour and a half.

depends on the program. Linpack (LinX) is heavy AVX2 load, so maybe 10-15 minutes for that in between OC's, to make sure your slight adjustments are stable. Once LinX fails, fall back to your last passable OC, and hit it with your preferred stress test of choice. I personally go for 8 hours of Prime95, but let me warn you. Prime95 will make your chip absurdly hot. If you do not have very aggressive cooling, do not attempt it. Seriously, people here will tell you the same.

A more realistic bench would probably be cinebench or realbench for a few hours. Intel's XTU test is another option. Go for as long as you are comfortable doing (i would say minimum of 4 hours on XTU) and as long as your temps stay within safe operating  range (never let them go beyond 90C, and if they hit 80C, i would take caution, and re-evaluate your cooling solution). Ideally, under 80C in these synthetic tests are great. You will never reach this level of stress in a game, or doing any real world work.

If it fails, try lowering the clock via a combination of bus/multiplier, and keep going until you are satisfied. If you have any trouble, or any questions, feel free to ask them here.

depends on the program. Linpack (LinX) is heavy AVX2 load, so maybe 10-15 minutes for that in between OC's, to make sure your slight adjustments are stable. Once LinX fails, fall back to your last passable OC, and hit it with your preferred stress test of choice. I personally go for 8 hours of Prime95, but let me warn you. Prime95 will make your chip absurdly hot. If you do not have very aggressive cooling, do not attempt it. Seriously, people here will tell you the same.

A more realistic bench would probably be cinebench or realbench for a few hours. Intel's XTU test is another option. Go for as long as you are comfortable doing (i would say minimum of 4 hours on XTU) and as long as your temps stay within safe operating  range (never let them go beyond 90C, and if they hit 80C, i would take caution, and re-evaluate your cooling solution). Ideally, under 80C in these synthetic tests are great. You will never reach this level of stress in a game, or doing any real world work.

If it fails, try lowering the clock via a combination of bus/multiplier, and keep going until you are satisfied. If you have any trouble, or any questions, feel free to ask them here.

Yes I have realbench. So four hours is enough right?

Yes I have realbench. So four hours is enough right?

yeah, 4 hours of x264 on Realbench should be enough for real-world stability. I would personally suggest 6 hours, if you had the time to spare, just to be extra safe, but 4 should be fine.

How do I enter in my RAM speed manually?

How do I enter in my RAM speed manually?

That depends on the board manufacturer, but it should have a DRAM, or Memory setting somewhere, that allows you to change just the ram clock speed. Look at your motherboard manual, or google your board to find its manual online. It should have the setting listed there in the bios portion.