[Question] Using EK D5 PWM Pump with 8 way PWM Fan Splitter

Go to solution Solved by gamerking,

Hi guys!

I am almost near the end of my new water cooling build, I will be posting the build log here really soon. But before that, I had a few questions.

I am using an 8 way PWM fan splitter which connects to 10 of my fans inside the case (using fan splitters). I am also using the EK D5 PWM version pump in this build. From what I understand, the pump runs only at 40% if it's running on the molex connector. Found this out after spending hours and hours trying to bleed my loop. I really wish EK had made that predominantly clear on the instructions manual. Someone from EK posted about it here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/363545-d5-pump-ek-xtop-d5-pwm-dead-silent/ which made me calm my nerves.

Regardless, I have the pump running at max speed, now that it's connected to both, the molex AND the PWM fan header. However, I can do that only if I go into the BIOS and set my CPU_Fan speeds to 100%. This makes all the other fans connected to the 8 way PWM splitter run at 100% too. That's not what I want. I want the pump to push as much water as it can through the loop while the fans remain nice and calm.

Is there a best-practice of connecting the fans to the motherboard via a PWM splitter so that you have control over the fans correctly? Also, how do I keep the pump running independently (@ 100%) and not affect the rest of the fans in the case? I am using a MSI X99A SLI Plus motherboard, which has a lot of system case fan headers on the motherboard.

Here's an image for a quick view: 

Link

A18ym1K%2BbVL._SL1500_.jpg

So what do you guys suggest? Is there any way that I can keep my pump running at 100% while the rest of the fans connected to the same 8 way PWM splitter run at lower RPMs? Also, what's the best practice of connecting these fans to get the right RPMs to show up in the BIOS?

Please let me know what you folks think.

Thanks much!

E

connect your pump to the header next to the io side and the fans/other to the top right side ones you have 2 headers for fans only one uses intel specs but the pump is happy if its a 4 pin other headers follow the manuel . ps i hope you have luck with the board i owned it for all of 3 weeks its so buggy and OC with it is a nightmare . but best luck to you

Hi guys!

I am almost near the end of my new water cooling build, I will be posting the build log here really soon. But before that, I had a few questions.

I am using an 8 way PWM fan splitter which connects to 10 of my fans inside the case (using fan splitters). I am also using the EK D5 PWM version pump in this build. From what I understand, the pump runs only at 40% if it's running on the molex connector. Found this out after spending hours and hours trying to bleed my loop. I really wish EK had made that predominantly clear on the instructions manual. Someone from EK posted about it here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/363545-d5-pump-ek-xtop-d5-pwm-dead-silent/ which made me calm my nerves.

Regardless, I have the pump running at max speed, now that it's connected to both, the molex AND the PWM fan header. However, I can do that only if I go into the BIOS and set my CPU_Fan speeds to 100%. This makes all the other fans connected to the 8 way PWM splitter run at 100% too. That's not what I want. I want the pump to push as much water as it can through the loop while the fans remain nice and calm.

Is there a best-practice of connecting the fans to the motherboard via a PWM splitter so that you have control over the fans correctly? Also, how do I keep the pump running independently (@ 100%) and not affect the rest of the fans in the case? I am using a MSI X99A SLI Plus motherboard, which has a lot of system case fan headers on the motherboard.

Link

So what do you guys suggest? Is there any way that I can keep my pump running at 100% while the rest of the fans connected to the same 8 way PWM splitter run at lower RPMs? Also, what's the best practice of connecting these fans to get the right RPMs to show up in the BIOS?

Thanks much!
E

I would get a separate PWM splitter and use it for the pump on a separate PWM MOBO header to be safe.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I would get a separate PWM splitter and use it for the pump on a separate PWM MOBO header to be safe.

Thanks for the reply :)

Any reason why I should connect it to yet another PWM splitter? Can't I just connect the PWM connector of the pump directly to the fan header on the motherboard? Not necessarily the CPU fan header, because that should (in my head) should control the fans in the case.. Also, which PWM header on the motherboard do you suggest? There's about 4 or 5 of those on there (see above image of the motherboard) - I don't suppose that makes any difference, does it? 

Thanks for the reply :)

Any reason why I should connect it to yet another PWM splitter? Can't I just connect the PWM connector of the pump directly to the fan header on the motherboard? Not necessarily the CPU fan header, because that should (in my head) should control the fans in the case.. Also, which PWM header on the motherboard do you suggest? There's about 4 or 5 of those on there (see above image of the motherboard) - I don't suppose that makes any difference, does it? 

Yes you can do that too.

Some MOBOs have differences with the fan headers about how much power it can provide at max load, meaning the amperage but on that MOBO, any PWM header will be good enough for the pump. 

Yes you can do that too.

Some MOBOs have differences with the fan headers about how much power it can provide at max load, meaning the amperage but on that MOBO, any PWM header will be good enough for the pump. 

Alright! That sounds good. I can connect the pump independently on a separate fan header on the motherboard. But one thing I noticed was the if I connect the pump directly to the fan header on the motherboard and also connect the molex power, it doesn't run. However, that's not the case when I connect the PWM to the 8 way splitter. It works fine with the molex being connected to it as well. 

What is the correct way of running this particular pump at max speed? Should I connect just one of the two or both?

Thanks!

E

What is the correct way of running this particular pump at max speed? Should I connect just one of the two or both?

You'll have to connect the pump pwm to the second cpu fan header on your motherboard (the one to the left of the memory slots if you're already using the cpufan1 header for the fans on the splitter) and power the pump with the molex as well. After that you can go in the bios and change the fans and pump independently.

i5 4690k  -  MSI Z97M Gaming  -  GTX 970  -  Kingston HyperX Savage  -  Samsung 840 EVO  -  Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

Hi guys!

Link

Thanks much!

E

connect your pump to the header next to the io side and the fans/other to the top right side ones you have 2 headers for fans only one uses intel specs but the pump is happy if its a 4 pin other headers follow the manuel . ps i hope you have luck with the board i owned it for all of 3 weeks its so buggy and OC with it is a nightmare . but best luck to you

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

Alright! That sounds good. I can connect the pump independently on a separate fan header on the motherboard. But one thing I noticed was the if I connect the pump directly to the fan header on the motherboard and also connect the molex power, it doesn't run. However, that's not the case when I connect the PWM to the 8 way splitter. It works fine with the molex being connected to it as well. 

Thanks!

E

@HazMatt is correct. You can also hook the fans to any of the PWM fan headers too if you don't have a CPU opt. fan header and use either the MOBO's UEFI to set a very simple fan curve or say Speedfan to set a curve too.

You'll have to connect the pump pwm to the second cpu fan header on your motherboard (the one to the left of the memory slots if you're already using the cpufan1 header for the fans on the splitter) and power the pump with the molex as well. After that you can go in the bios and change the fans and pump independently.

You guys are awesome! I connected the pump to the first CPU_Fan header which is above the memory and CPU. I moved the fan splitter cable to the CPU_Fan header on the left side (near IO panel). I set the CPU fan  to run at max RPM. The GPU was running at 86 degrees before.. Now it's at 26 degrees. This is ridiculous. Knowledge is power :)

Thanks again folks!

E