PC Underperforming / Low Framerates

Mr.Dingle

Since the issue is not yet determined , i figured i need to put it here , rather than CPU or GPU specific issues ... 

Ok so a bit of backstory : Got the R9 390 Nitro , an awesome looking and a very nice performer in games ... i was under the "damn its nice lets not worry about checking stuff just see how Crysis 3 looks maxed" moment and i didnt really notice anything strange ... 

Then i remembered all the benchmarks i literally studied before i bought the thing .... and noticed my FPS is anywhere from 20 to 30 FPS LOWER than what those guys are getting ... 

I researched a bit ... and the max FPS difference it should theoretically be is around 10FPS MAX due to most review sites using i7s ( 4790k or 5960x ) 

So i got into testing .... first was 3DMARK Firestrike , well , take a look for yourself : http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/8824066? 

For reference this is from PcPer : http://www.pcper.com/files/imagecache/article_max_width/review/2015-06-18/3dmark-fs.png or Eteknix : http://cdn.eteknix.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/firestrike4.jpg

What could be causing this ? 

Here is a couple of screenshots from MSI Afterburner logging the temps and all ..  Crysis 3 maxed settings , second mission 

9wZKdPS.jpg

abcb0ZG.jpgHOK4A9O.jpg

This is with the CPU running at stock , because i have not yet upgraded the intake fans , im forced to run it this way to prevent overheating ... 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

"GRAPHICS DRIVER IS NOT APPROVED"

Got that from the 3dmark website so maybe it's that?

Its the latest driver from AMD .. 15.9 Beta 

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Tho its not only in Crysis 3 ... 

I just downloaded the Battlefront beta , and GPU usage maxes out at 80% ..

I guess its just the drivers .. they keep crashing in Battlefront , even tho the game runs at 2560x1440 at around 50-70FPS ...

Im having a hard time thinking that the drivers could be the reason i lose 3000 points in 3DMark .. or low FPS in other games 

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Since the issue is not yet determined , i figured i need to put it here , rather than CPU or GPU specific issues ... 

Ok so a bit of backstory : Got the R9 390 Nitro , an awesome looking and a very nice performer in games ... i was under the "damn its nice lets not worry about checking stuff just see how Crysis 3 looks maxed" moment and i didnt really notice anything strange ... 

Then i remembered all the benchmarks i literally studied before i bought the thing .... and noticed my FPS is anywhere from 20 to 30 FPS LOWER than what those guys are getting ... 

I researched a bit ... and the max FPS difference it should theoretically be is around 10FPS MAX due to most review sites using i7s ( 4790k or 5960x ) 

So i got into testing .... first was 3DMARK Firestrike , well , take a look for yourself : http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/8824066? 

For reference this is from PcPer : http://www.pcper.com/files/imagecache/article_max_width/review/2015-06-18/3dmark-fs.png or Eteknix : http://cdn.eteknix.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/firestrike4.jpg

What could be causing this ? 

Here is a couple of screenshots from MSI Afterburner logging the temps and all ..  Crysis 3 maxed settings , second mission 

9wZKdPS.jpg

abcb0ZG.jpgHOK4A9O.jpg

This is with the CPU running at stock , because i have not yet upgraded the intake fans , im forced to run it this way to prevent overheating ... 

I noticed that your GPU usage is at 100% all the time. that looks strange for such a powerful card.

What CPU are you using? how much RAM do you have?

There are other components that may be holding back your GPU.

i5-4690k at stock and 8GB 1866Mhz RAM ..

Have to keep the cpu at stock since the gpu puts out so much heat that it also heats up the ambient air in the case thus raising temps of everything else

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

i5-4690k at stock and 8GB 1866Mhz RAM ..

Have to keep the cpu at stock since the gpu puts out so much heat that it also heats up the ambient air in the case thus raising temps of everything else

The r9 390 is pretty new, and AMD release drivers quite late for most gamers. I suggest that you try a different driver and run crysis 3 again. What happens?

The r9 390 is pretty new, and AMD release drivers quite late for most gamers. I suggest that you try a different driver and run crysis 3 again. What happens?

Also the recommended CPU for that GPU is the Core i7-4790K according to game-debate.com

I noticed that your GPU usage is at 100% all the time. that looks strange for such a powerful card.

What CPU are you using? how much RAM do you have?

There are other components that may be holding back your GPU.

That´s how it should be. 

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO