Are ATH-m50x's really over-hyped?

melias24

Not sure what you mean by dry, but I can definitely agree that the m50s are  forward/powerful sounding and the treble can indeed be piercing. Combine that with the terrible comfort and those cans became extremely fatiguing for casual listening. Not sure if the m40x are any different since I've heard all three sound alike and are built similarly.

So basically get the m40x, and i'll be happy? I am not a pro audio bloke, and never will be so i guess, so will the M40x be good or not? if so i'll buy them right now.

Let us put it this way. IF you WERE a pro audio bloke, and IF you listened to them side by side, and IF you could discern a difference.... you could still potentially prefer the M40X. Without knowing the differences, the reasonable choice is clear.

The original M50s were $80 at one point and was actually a pretty compelling value for it's intensity. 

Audio Technica sure did cashed in on dat hype mang. 

M50 sound so freakin' dry and anemic. The bass is there and in pretty big quantity but it's so dry, I really don't know how to explain this but to me M50s sound mediocre at best.

Not to mention that they are uncomfortable like hell, clamping force like a mofo with that fake-ass leather. Treble was ear piercing and again very very dry. I don't know if they improved that sound with "x" version but this is audio-robbery from those Japanese. 

For example DT-770 250Ohm have 10 times better sound, 100 times more comfortable and clamping force, although pretty strong is almost non-existent because of Beyers velour pads.

I do want DT 770's, but i don't have the money they are another $80 here in Aus, from the price of the m50's. I think i'll just go for the ATH-m40x's unless you have a recommendation, in the $130 and less AUD price range?

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

i did see tih svideo and the m40's were the best, the m50's just sound strong to me, i really don't like them, but i did see a video comparing the m40's to a pair of sonys (that i know has been around since the 90's or so) and some Senheisser 559's, and again the m40's were the best.

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

Yes it is

Beyerdynamic custom one pros are under-hyped.

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

For that kind of money, I would never consider getting beats. But speaking as an owner of M50x's, They are nothing short but impressive. The ~$150 usd price tag does give more options although for different choices of headphones similar to m50x's.

Most people would be just as impressed with M30x, for much less cost.

I just got ones.

40x is really bad compared to the 50x really bad

Wow, that made me laugh. Obviously don't know your stuff..

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

To OP, I've said it time and time again, nothing wrong with the M50/M50X, the issue is that where they are priced is not where they belong. If they were priced at a regular price point of perhaps $80 or even maybe $90, they would be a great set of cans, but considering they sell for over $150, even the older M50's sold for $130+, and well.... There are plenty of other options that are less than half the cost that offer just as much as the M50's can offer.

They aren't bad, just one of those cans that are priced higher than they are worth.

If you have your heart set on a pair, give them a whirl if their sound signature is what you are after, they are a good set of cans, just a bit overpriced.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

To OP, I've said it time and time again, nothing wrong with the M50/M50X, the issue is that where they are priced is not where they belong. If they were priced at a regular price point of perhaps $80 or even maybe $90, they would be a great set of cans, but considering they sell for over $150, even the older M50's sold for $130+, and well.... There are plenty of other options that are less than half the cost that offer just as much as the M50's can offer.

They aren't bad, just one of those cans that are priced higher than they are worth.

If you have your heart set on a pair, give them a whirl if their sound signature is what you are after, they are a good set of cans, just a bit overpriced.

The original m50 sold for about $80. Also, I'd hardly call a headphone that sells for double what it does "a bit overpriced" more like grossly overpriced.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

For me, people who use beats solo 2 and M50x are the same. They're alright headphones for the prize, but you could always get a better one.

I've always been tempted give thumbs up tp those people who use momentum headphones