NVIDIA To Devs: Compute/Graphics Toggle Is A Heavyweight Switch

Mr_Troll

I don't think arguing with him with any amount of information will make him change his mind.  He has already stated he has an incredible dislike for AMD, so there is already a bias inherently there.  It's going to take a lot to sway something like that.

Usually an acedemic (to use the term loosely) debate benefits the audience, not the actual debaters. Having sat back and watched gpu discussions on various forums over the past month, it doesn't surprise me that consumers are buying up 390's left/right/center - the 390 is like the modern day GPU equivalent of the Athlon X2 a decade ago.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Usually an acedemic (to use the term loosely) debate benefits the audience, not the actual debaters. Having sat back and watched gpu discussions on various forums over the past month, it doesn't surprise me that consumers are buying up 390's left/right/center - the 390 is like the modern day GPU equivalent of the Athlon X2 a decade ago.

Honestly, it's because AMD released the 200 series refresh at a good time:  their drivers had a lot less CPU overhead than before with the 200 series release, DX12 is coming out which has great gains for AMD cards from what we've seen, and the 300 series is priced really competitively against Nvidia products.

There isn't really a reason to go nvidia unless you want really high end with a 980ti (which I use now), or just REALLY enjoy overclocking.

Honestly, it's because AMD released the 200 series refresh at a good time:  their drivers had a lot less CPU overhead than before with the 200 series release, DX12 is coming out which has great gains for AMD cards from what we've seen, and the 300 series is priced really competitively against Nvidia products.

There isn't really a reason to go nvidia unless you want really high end with a 980ti (which I use now), or just REALLY enjoy overclocking.

Let's not forget AMD has also made great leaps in power efficiency with this latest setup. I focus primarily on ITX builds, and keeping a 290x cool in a custom ITX case would be pretty hard to do. Looking at the latest 300 series, i know for a fact i could do it with ease. They are priced absolutely perfectly and fulfill multiple needs if you look at the markets they fit in. @Zah, you said it best with that 980 Ti remark. To me, its the only Nvidia card worth getting at this point, as AMD beats Nvidia in every other price bracket. Maxwell also OC's like no other. For people that want a card that works perfectly out of the box and won't require any OCing, the Fury X, at the same price point, is still a competitive offer that will compete head to head with the 980 Ti in 1440p or above resolutions with no problems whatsoever. 

People mock AMD for releasing refresh cards, but lets face it. They are improving upon an already solid design, and as we can now see with DX12, it works. Before anyone calls me an AMD fanboy, the last 5 GPU's i've owned have been Nvidia, but i would be a fool to not recognize the effort AMD has made to try to remain competitive and the strides they've taken not only in regards to improving power efficiency, but also in reducing their size footprint with their ITX form factor cards. We need more of this from not just AMD, but from everyone else.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.