Dell XPS Pinouts? Power connectors?

Go to solution Solved by TheNuzziNuzz,

Alright, I think I have everything working and the problem solved. Today I was able to turn on my computer. For other people having this issue. It really was just trial and error. You have to play around. Like said in a prevous post, mixing the polarity won't any harm. Anyway, here is the diagram that worked for me on my Dell Xps 8700

[] [] [P] [A+] [A-]

[]    [P] [b+] [b-]

+=Positive polarity

-=Negative Polarity

P=Power (Polarity Doesn't matter)

B=Pwr Led

A=HDD Led

If the above polaritys Don't work, jsut try flipping them. I havn't tried the reset button, so if anyone else out there is able to hook that up too please post what you did!

Anyway, thanks for the help guys!

Hey there, sorry for the lacking title...So here is the scoop:

I have a dell xps 8700. I installed an SSD and a r9 270x in it, capping prety much all of its capability. So next I decided that my pc's temperatures were getting too hot. So I got a new Thermaltake chaser case. I had succes in transfering all the parts(At least I think so), and then it came to plugging stuff into the motherbord. I was able to connect everything except "F_Pannel" and the "P4" connector to the motherbord. I could't connect the P4 Because the cable wouldn't reach the MB, but the F_pannel is where most my trouble sits. So the dell case connect to F_pannel via one connector, and the new case has many connectors for HDD led, the power LED, reset button, and the power button. So the problem I am having besides connecting the P4 is finding out wich pin coresponds to wich pinhole for the cases front IO. There is no color coordination, and I have had no luck finding the motherord manual. PLEASE NOTE: I need to know what orientation (+ & -) each pinhole should be in. I really hope that made sense. So here are some resorces that I have looked through along with some more system specifics.

Dell support site for my Specific PC: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicetag/HSDFCZ1/diagnose?rvps=y

I have a Dell xps 8700

I am planning on calling dell support and asking for their support on the matter, if I get anyware, i will edit this post.

Thanks for any help any of you can provide! If you have any more questions, just ask!

--EDIT--

Pictures hopfully can be found at: http://1drv.ms/1Vxq051

If it doesn't work it may be a while before I can post/repost again

Computers r fun

Hey there, sorry for the lacking title...So here is the scoop:

I have a dell xps 8700. I installed an SSD and a r9 270x in it, capping prety much all of its capability. So next I decided that my pc's temperatures were getting too hot. So I got a new Thermaltake chaser case. I had succes in transfering all the parts(At least I think so), and then it came to plugging stuff into the motherbord. I was able to connect everything except "F_Pannel" and the "P4" connector to the motherbord. I could't connect the P4 Because the cable wouldn't reach the MB, but the F_pannel is where most my trouble sits. So the dell case connect to F_pannel via one connector, and the new case has many connectors for HDD led, the power LED, reset button, and the power button. So the problem I am having besides connecting the P4 is finding out wich pin coresponds to wich pinhole for the cases front IO. There is no color coordination, and I have had no luck finding the motherord manual. PLEASE NOTE: I need to know what orientation (+ & -) each pinhole should be in. I really hope that made sense. So here are some resorces that I have looked through along with some more system specifics.

Dell support site for my Specific PC: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicetag/HSDFCZ1/diagnose?rvps=y

I have a Dell xps 8700

I am planning on calling dell support and asking for their support on the matter, if I get anyware, i will edit this post.

Thanks for any help any of you can provide! If you have any more questions, just ask!

For LED's it isnt a problem if you reverse the polarity, LED does not short anything out, infact, if reverse biased, it blocks current.

Switch polarity does not matter too.

If an LED does not work, just flip the connector.

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

pictures are worth a 1000 words in this case..

P4 needs and extension:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200496

51AA1ckAGCL._SY355_.jpg

panel connections are case related. since moving to the chaser case, the

panel connections are not proprietary (dell thing), but most motherboards

are able to separate the connections (power, pwr LED, HDD LED, reset

a picture of this area is worthy).

Im sorry, I don't think i understand

pictures are worth a 1000 words in this case..

P4 needs and extension:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200496

51AA1ckAGCL._SY355_.jpg

panel connections are case related. since moving to the chaser case, the

panel connections are not proprietary (dell thing), but most motherboards

are able to separate the connections (power, pwr LED, HDD LED, reset

a picture of this area is worthy).

I'm sorry, I don't think I understood what you said in the second half there. One of the things I am asking tho is what pins do i connect the cases pinholes too? I can't seem to find any instruction on that...

Also, Did you say that it doesn't matter if you get positieve and negative polaritys mixed up? and if so, for both the LED's and the Power button?

Ultamatly, i just want to make sure i'm not about to short my bord as soon as I plug my machine in. P4 connector wise, where I am today is sunday and most stores are closed. I was kinda hopping I could get my rig back up and running today. Is it not worth the risk attempting to make a P4 extension?

Computers r fun

hence the picture ask.. we don't know either..

only the LED (pwr and HDD) are polarity sensitive) the pwr and reset are just

continuity switches.

the CPU power is keyed as it will only connect in one direction (non-damaging).

So could I potentially damage any parts by mixing up the polarity? And I think I may have found the name of my MB. I will edit this response later with all the possible modle numbers that I found. Also, I think I mentioned this before, but I retraced the wire placement of the f_pannel pins from the previous case and am going to try and use that placement, the only problem is again, I don't know the polarity.

Computers r fun

Alright, I think I have everything working and the problem solved. Today I was able to turn on my computer. For other people having this issue. It really was just trial and error. You have to play around. Like said in a prevous post, mixing the polarity won't any harm. Anyway, here is the diagram that worked for me on my Dell Xps 8700

[] [] [P] [A+] [A-]

[]    [P] [b+] [b-]

+=Positive polarity

-=Negative Polarity

P=Power (Polarity Doesn't matter)

B=Pwr Led

A=HDD Led

If the above polaritys Don't work, jsut try flipping them. I havn't tried the reset button, so if anyone else out there is able to hook that up too please post what you did!

Anyway, thanks for the help guys!

Computers r fun

• 5 years later...

This is an old topic but if anyone is still interested...

On the dell forums, user rdunnill provided a graphic for the FP pinouts for the XPS 8300/8500/8700. I did make a few corrections to it since the PWR BTN polarity was incorrect and added RST pins.

FP.Pinout.jpg