100% GPU usage with Bioshock Inifite minimized

EIijah

So when I minimize Bioshock, my GPU starts working at 100% and heating up a shit load, I accidentally left it minimized for 2 hours last night and came back to a very warm room and a 70 degree GPU (Never seen it go past 60) and I was just wondering if this is just something I'm going to need to avoid by save/quiting or if there's a fix, my brother also couldn't play portal while it was minimized because portal kept crashing.

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

So when I minimize Bioshock, my GPU starts working at 100% and heating up a shit load, I accidentally left it minimized for 2 hours last night and came back to a very warm room and a 70 degree GPU (Never seen it go past 60) and I was just wondering if this is just something I'm going to need to avoid by save/quiting or if there's a fix, my brother also couldn't play portal while it was minimized because portal kept crashing.

why in the world would you just minimize the game and think nothing is gonna happen? when you minimize the game, the game is basically still running but not on your screen (borderless windowed mode).

and why the hell would you wanna play portal while bioshock is still running???

my advice here is: 

Quit being lazy and start closing programs like a normal pc gamer.

Some games do behave strangely, increasing demand in situations where you would expect it to drop.  My recommendation would be to just not do this anymore.  If you don't want to play for a while, save and quit, and if you do plan to come back, try just locking the computer without minimizing.  This may or may not be better than minimizing it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

why in the world would you just minimize the game and think nothing is gonna happen? when you minimize the game, the game is basically still running but not on your screen (borderless windowed mode).

and why the hell would you wanna play portal while bioshock is still running???

my advice here is: 

Quit being lazy and start closing programs like a normal pc gamer.

I know that it's still running xD but the pc uses like 40% gpu playing bioshock and like 20% on portal so both can be run at the same time xD, done it with every other game

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

I know that it's still running xD but the pc uses like 40% gpu playing bioshock and like 20% on portal so both can be run at the same time xD, done it with every other game

eh... % what?  processing power of the GPU?  There may be other things to consider, like vram usage, or even regular ram usage for that matter.  Not to mention it's just a little weird.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Lol. What type of logic is this. Unless you are playing on a potato instead of a monitor bioshock isn't gonna only use 40% load. The 970 isn't even that powerful of a card tbh. Unless you are running Titan X SLI at 1080p bioshock will use 90%+ of your gpu power.

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Lol. What type of logic is this. Unless you are playing on a potato instead of a monitor bioshock isn't gonna only use 40% load. The 970 isn't even that powerful of a card tbh. Unless you are running Titan X SLI at 1080p bioshock will use 90%+ of your gpu power.

That thought had occurred to be as well after posting, but I wasn't going to question it :P

my question is still for you: Why the FK would you want to run 2 games at a time??? you cant even control both of em the same time so what gives? i really cant understand what you are trying to do here.

my question is still for you: Why the FK would you want to run 2 games at a time??? you cant even control both of em the same time so what gives? i really cant understand what you are trying to do here.

Oh it's not really about running two games at once, people just took that and ran with it, It's just when my brother brings his baby over I'll pause my game and go see him, and a lot of the time my brother comes and plays a game on my pc but does quit incase I didn't want him to and honestly I've never had a problem with it.

I'm just wondering why minimizing bioshock makes my GPU start working as hard as possible

Uhhhh no, it doesn't use anywhere near that and I'm running it on max graphics.... 

Uhhhh no, it doesn't use anywhere near that and I'm running it on max graphics.... 

What resolution? Even at 1080p once you turn on Alternate Post Processing it will give a 970 a beating and force it to run at 100%. All graphically intensive games tend to use 100% of the gpu

What resolution? Even at 1080p once you turn on Alternate Post Processing it will give a 970 a beating and force it to run at 100%. All graphically intensive games tend to use 100% of the gpu

I've put everything on max and it uses like 40%... I've never had a game make my GPU hit 100%

I've put everything on max and it uses like 40%... I've never had a game make my GPU hit 100%

Every one of my games does. Using 1080 maxed out.

Do a driver reinstall.

Some games when not in focus will drop usage some don't and stay running full pelt.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Unless you're running at 720p you must be getting horrible fps then. BioShock Infinite was never that well optimized of a game to begin with and you need all the power to prevent fps drops.  

Unless you're running at 720p you must be getting horrible fps then. BioShock Infinite was never that well optimized of a game to begin with and you need all the power to prevent fps drops.  

Every one of my games does. Using 1080 maxed out.

Do a driver reinstall.

Some games when not in focus will drop usage some don't and stay running full pelt.

I have Vsync on and get 60fps but it caps it at 60 and the usage stays low, if I turn vsync off it'll use 100% but I get screen tears and theres no point

I have Vsync on and get 60fps but it caps it at 60 and the usage stays low, if I turn vsync off it'll use 100% but I get screen tears and theres no point

At 1080p without DDOF enabled maybe your usage would hover around 40- 60%. But it's really not possible for it to be a constant 40% unless whatever settings you're playing at you get above 100 fps min with vsync enabled. Which has to be really low settings

At 1080p without DDOF enabled maybe your usage would hover around 40- 60%. But it's really not possible for it to be a constant 40% unless whatever settings you're playing at you get above 100 fps min with vsync enabled. Which has to be really low settings

How can I get over 60 fps with Vsync.... anyway there's no point arguing when I'm off holiday I'll screenshot settings and prove it xD

How can I get over 60 fps with Vsync.... anyway there's no point arguing when I'm off holiday I'll screenshot settings and prove it xD

Sorry. I meant V sync disabled. But there are 120/144hz monitors. If you only see 40% gpu usage on BioShock Infinite that's great. I don't understand though how your gpu usage can skyrocket after minimizing the game because shouldn't that significantly reduce the strain on the gpu? good luck

Sorry. I meant V sync disabled. But there are 120/144hz monitors. If you only see 40% gpu usage on BioShock Infinite that's great. I don't understand though how your gpu usage can skyrocket after minimizing the game because shouldn't that significantly reduce the strain on the gpu? good luck

That's exactly why I was wondering haha, I've clocked it now anyway