help with reinstalling windows 10

lukky211111

So I may need to do a fresh reinstall of windows because my CPU is under clicking itself. How do I go about doing this?

askdjfasdf

Doing a refresh should do the trick if you really need to reinstall but I don't see how that would effect an overclock. (IDK what a over click is so I'm assuming a typo, correct if I'm wrong)

To refresh hold shift when you click restart to get into the recovery boot thing and navigate the menus until you find refresh and click that. It resets everything to default but you will still be activated.

As I hinted at before, I would guess your problem is not related to your Windows install. If you are using mobo software like ASUS 5-way Optimization it can reset your overclock in the OS, which would be my guess as to what's happening. Maybe try configuring your overclock in the software OR removing the software from the computer.

Another guess as to what's happening is that you are using an Intel CPU which automatically underclocks when not under load to reduce power consumption. Use a stress tester to see the overclock or run a game that uses lots of CPU. Alternatively you can use CPU-Z to see what the overclock is set to as well as what you are actually running. I don't know if AMD CPUs have any similar power saving features but I know my Intel i7 CPU runs at 1.2 ghz when not doing anything but properly boosts up to 4.5ghz (my overclock) when running stress tests and when I benchmark my games.

I'll try to reply as often as I can so let me know if you need more help.

Doing a refresh should do the trick if you really need to reinstall but I don't see how that would effect an overclock. (IDK what a over click is so I'm assuming a typo, correct if I'm wrong)

To refresh hold shift when you click restart to get into the recovery boot thing and navigate the menus until you find refresh and click that. It resets everything to default but you will still be activated.

As I hinted at before, I would guess your problem is not related to your Windows install. If you are using mobo software like ASUS 5-way Optimization it can reset your overclock in the OS, which would be my guess as to what's happening. Maybe try configuring your overclock in the software OR removing the software from the computer.

Another guess as to what's happening is that you are using an Intel CPU which automatically underclocks when not under load to reduce power consumption. Use a stress tester to see the overclock or run a game that uses lots of CPU. Alternatively you can use CPU-Z to see what the overclock is set to as well as what you are actually running. I don't know if AMD CPUs have any similar power saving features but I know my Intel i7 CPU runs at 1.2 ghz when not doing anything but properly boosts up to 4.5ghz (my overclock) when running stress tests and when I benchmark my games.

I'll try to reply as often as I can so let me know if you need more help.

> this is my issue and its not about an overclock ive never actually overclocked my cpu at all the problem is its constantly staying at an underclock of 800 mhz even during games and its been doing this for about aweek or two and i finally last night looked at my clocks to see what the issue was and my cpu kept staying underclocked.

askdjfasdf

this is my issue and its not about an overclock ive never actually overclocked my cpu at all the problem is its constantly staying at an underclock of 800 mhz even during games and its been doing this for about aweek or two and i finally last night looked at my clocks to see what the issue was and my cpu kept staying underclocked.

check with a program like cpu-z

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

check with a program like cpu-z

i did check it in cpu z its telling me that its staying at around 800 mhz even during games

askdjfasdf

I looked at your pcpartpicker on your profile, if this is the computer you are using cool build. Similar to mine! Same CPU so like I said before check your config with CPU-Z. Fix on your BIOS if it is weird on CPU-Z.

If that is good I would check thermals since you are using an air cooler, maybe its dirty. If you are running hot, the variable clock rate technology on Intel would limit itself to keep from blowing up.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to refresh browser before responding.

i did check it in cpu z its telling me that its staying at around 800 mhz even during games

Yeah check your BIOS, CPU-Z shouldn't change during games since it reads your system config.

I looked at your pcpartpicker on your profile, if this is the computer you are using cool build. Similar to mine! Same CPU so like I said before check your config with CPU-Z. Fix on your BIOS if it is weird on CPU-Z.

If that is good I would check thermals since you are using an air cooler, maybe its dirty. If you are running hot, the variable clock rate technology on Intel would limit itself to keep from blowing up.

heats not an issue either my cpu has never gone above 53 c with my noctua and like i stated before im not overclocking anything and i havnt changed anything in my motherboards bios im not sure how to fix this via my bios sadly ive even defaulted the settings as well with f6.

askdjfasdf

Yeah check your BIOS, CPU-Z shouldn't change during games since it reads your system config.

well i do see my cpu clock like change in cpu z a bit here and there from like 800 to around 790 ish

askdjfasdf

http://imgur.com/35FPjHv

This is my CPU-Z. I highlighted the important piece of information, the multiplier. Yours will probably say 8-40 or 8-42. 8-40 would mean that your CPU has a variable clock, dependent on load, from 800 MHz to 4 GHz. On the desktop you will be near the bottom number but while in game it would be closer to the top, depending on the game. If you tab out of the game to check your CPU-Z on a single monitor it will go back to the lower number on most games because the game is not "running". Multiplayer games generally keep running in the background when you tab out.

If your variable clock multiplier has an upper number of 40 or 42 you are good. Running a stress test like Prime95 you will see your core speed at its highest continually but as long as that multiplier is 40 or 42 and the bus speed is 100 MHz your CPU is actually behaving like it should... Intel CPUs are strange creatures.

This is my CPU-Z. I highlighted the important piece of information, the multiplier. Yours will probably say 8-40 or 8-42. 8-40 would mean that your CPU has a variable clock, dependent on load, from 800 MHz to 4 GHz. On the desktop you will be near the bottom number but while in game it would be closer to the top, depending on the game. If you tab out of the game to check your CPU-Z on a single monitor it will go back to the lower number on most games because the game is not "running". Multiplayer games generally keep running in the background when you tab out.

If your variable clock multiplier has an upper number of 40 or 42 you are good. Running a stress test like Prime95 you will see your core speed at its highest continually but as long as that multiplier is 40 or 42 and the bus speed is 100 MHz your CPU is actually behaving like it should... Intel CPUs are strange creatures.

i did that since i have dual monitors and it stayed at an 8.0 multiplier it never once changed in speed or anything.

askdjfasdf

i called msi and they told me to reseat my cpu and check for any bent pins

askdjfasdf

i called msi and they told me to reseat my cpu and check for any bent pins

Ok good to know. Please let me know how it goes.

Ok good to know. Please let me know how it goes.

nothing has changed its still underclocking

askdjfasdf

nothing has changed its still underclocking

check for bad pins

update the bios

reset bios to defaults

reseat the ram and try different slots

tighten down the heatsink

I have to ask, how old is your board?

Reason I ask is because it sounds like you may well need a bios update.

check for bad pins

update the bios

reset bios to defaults

did alll that nothing

I have to ask, how old is your board?

Reason I ask is because it sounds like you may well need a bios update.

the board i got like.... a few months ago this build is like 3 months old maybe 4 and i just updated the bios today. still nothing has fixed.

askdjfasdf

did alll that nothing

the board i got like.... a few months ago this build is like 3 months old maybe 4 and i just updated the bios today. still nothing has fixed.

try it again then..and do an external build while testing all these

Please provide details on what board it is(Model etc). Bios number as well would be helpful.

This issue is completely unrelated to Windows itself, unless you use a program provided by the mobo manufacturers that allows for clocking within a Windows environment. 

I'm gonna try a different psu maybe....I have a spare

askdjfasdf

Please provide details on what board it is(Model etc). Bios number as well would be helpful.

This issue is completely unrelated to Windows itself, unless you use a program provided by the mobo manufacturers that allows for clocking within a Windows environment. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hMYxqs%C2'> heres my full build my cpu clock is displayed in the bios for my motherboard ( not sure how other boards are being this is my first build) and its always been at 4 ghz not 800 mhz.

i swapped out my psu to see if that was it and it wasnt that ( tried it just in case)

askdjfasdf

I'm gonna try a different psu maybe....I have a spare

check for bad pins

update the bios

reset bios to defaults

As long as you have power going to the CPU 8pin you should be good. Since you have one totally try it but focus on the CPU, CPU socket, and RAM. Also you could try re-flashing your BIOS/ updating to a newer BIOS.

Just to clarify, this did start happening out of the blue a few weeks ago but worked fine before that with proper clock speeds and everything?

As long as you have power going to the CPU 8pin you should be good. Since you have one totally try it but focus on the CPU, CPU socket, and RAM. Also you could try re-flashing your BIOS/ updating to a newer BIOS.

Just to clarify, this did start happening out of the blue a few weeks ago but worked fine before that with proper clock speeds and everything?

. Correct and the different psu made no difference and my bios is fully up to date

askdjfasdf

Since you already reseated your CPU when you checked for bent pins basically all you have left to do on a normal diagnostic checklist is check your RAM one stick at a time because you might have a bad stick. On my current build I had one stick go bad after only 6 months so it happens. This is a very strange problem you are having and I feel your pain.

Since you already reseated your CPU when you checked for bent pins basically all you have left to do on a normal diagnostic checklist is check your RAM one stick at a time because you might have a bad stick. On my current build I had one stick go bad after only 6 months so it happens. This is a very strange problem you are having and I feel your pain.

could ram really do that? Luke cause my issue?

askdjfasdf