GPU doesn't let computer turn on

erjr00

So I have a gtx 980ti SC+ w/ ACX 2.0+ for my new build when my graphics card is out the computer boots up fine, I already have windows and some programs installed, but when I turn off my computer, install the GPU and turn it back on my computer won't POST. I've tried installing the proper drivers 3 different ways but I can't install GeForce drivers if the graphics card isn't installed. I know it's not a insufficient PSU because I've taken the PSU tests to tell you what one you need and a video from JayzTwoCents said that so long as you have a single GPU you don't need anything more than a 850Wtt. Check my profile for my PC stats. If anyone could help that would be awesome!!!

So I have a gtx 980ti SC+ w/ ACX 2.0+ for my new build when my graphics card is out the computer boots up fine, I already have windows and some programs installed, but when I turn off my computer, install the GPU and turn it back on my computer won't POST. I've tried installing the proper drivers 3 different ways but I can't install GeForce drivers if the graphics card isn't installed. I know it's not a insufficient PSU because I've taken the PSU tests to tell you what one you need and a video from JayzTwoCents said that so long as you have a single GPU you don't need anything more than a 850Wtt. Check my profile for my PC stats. If anyone could help that would be awesome!!!

Did you plug the video cable into the GPU and not the motherboard?

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

I tried both

Are all the fans spinning? The PCIE power connector plugged in tightly? Make sure the power connector clicks into place.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

Yup, everything is running, and I have a pcie ssd and a sound card that work, the graphics card is working too, it lights up and the fans spin on it its just the computer won't display anything when it's plugged in

try a different cable just in case. could just be a bad card. can you try running it in a different system?

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I find it hard to believe that the graphics card is a dud, as parts are obviously working and the fact that if the GPU was a dud I don't think it should effect the rest of the PC

I find it hard to believe that the graphics card is a dud, as parts are obviously working and the fact that if the GPU was a dud I don't think it should effect the rest of the PC

if the only change that prevents the computer from booting is the gpu, then its very likely that the gpu is the issue.  unless the psu isnt supplying enough power, but 850w is more than enough. its also possible its the mobo, but the gpu is the most likely cause.  like i said, test it in another system if you can to verify.

Edit: and please quote people so they get notified if you respond

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Is the GPU installed in top  PCI-e x16 slot next to the CPU?

Where have you plugged the Intel 750 in?

The PCI-e lanes can be split 16/0/0, 8/8/0 or 8/4/4. The GPU may be greedy and takeing up all lanes, leaving the Intel 750 in the without a connection. However you should still be able to reach the BIOS.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Is the GPU installed in top PCI-e x16 slot next to the CPU?

Where have you plugged the Intel 750 in?

The PCI-e lanes can be split 16/0/0, 8/8/0 or 8/4/4. The GPU may be greedy and takeing up all lanes, leaving the Intel 750 in the without a connection. However you should still be able to reach the BIOS.

I have a MSI Z97A gaming 7 motherboard which has 3 x16 slots and 3 X1 slots I have my graphics card in the top, Intel 750 ssd in the middle and my sounder blaster ZX audio card in the bottom, all are in x16 slots, none in X1. If my research serves me correct my sound card is X1 and the Intel 750 SSD is x4, so it doesn't exceed my 4790k's Max 16 pcie lanes if my graphics card is running at x8. And on that subject does it auto detect to use less connections or do I have to set something in my bios so my graphics card (top slot) doesn't use all 16

I have a MSI Z97A gaming 7 motherboard which has 3 x16 slots and 3 X1 slots I have my graphics card in the top, Intel 750 ssd in the middle and my sounder blaster ZX audio card in the bottom, all are in x16 slots, none in X1. If my research serves me correct my sound card is X1 and the Intel 750 SSD is x4, so it doesn't exceed my 4790k's Max 16 pcie lanes if my graphics card is running at x8. And on that subject does it auto detect to use less connections or do I have to set something in my bios so my graphics card (top slot) doesn't use all 16

Normally the auto detection works fine.

But you can try using the GPU as the only card in the system (this will not resolve your problem most likely).

You can try to disable the integrated GPU in the BIOS to force it to look for a GPU. However if it doesn't work you need to reset the BIOS to boot again.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Normally the auto detection works fine.

But you can try using the GPU as the only card in the system (this will not resolve your problem most likely).

You can try to disable the integrated GPU in the BIOS to force it to look for a GPU. However if it doesn't work you need to reset the BIOS to boot again.

I found out the problem, kinda. I'm able to boot into Windows with my graphics card in but when I turn my computer off and on again or restart it won't work, I have to take my GPU out, boot into BIOS change the pcie setting from Auto, to 8x4x4 or vice versa and then turn my computer off, plugin in my GPU and then boot into Windows. Then wash, rinse, repeat every time I want to get into Windows with my GPU. Help?

I found out the problem, kinda. I'm able to boot into Windows with my graphics card in but when I turn my computer off and on again or restart it won't work, I have to take my GPU out, boot into BIOS change the pcie setting from Auto, to 8x4x4 or vice versa and then turn my computer off, plugin in my GPU and then boot into Windows. Then wash, rinse, repeat every time I want to get into Windows with my GPU. Help?

Is the setting lost in the BIOS after reboot?

If yes, replace the battery.

Is the setting lost in the BIOS after reboot?

If yes, replace the battery.

Nope, the setting is still the same, I just need to change it every time in order for my computer to turn on with my GPU in my it.

Nope, the setting is still the same, I just need to change it every time in order for my computer to turn on with my GPU in my it.

Hmmmm than it get's complicated. What we know:

- the PSU is sufficient

- the GPU seems to work

To me it looks like a software problem. The GPU is not properly detected on start up by the BIOS for whatever reason. I have no idea at all why, sorry. You can only try to put the CPU into an other PCI-e slot and pray to the god to technology (some say this is Linus ;) ).

Hmmmm than it get's complicated. What we know:

- the PSU is sufficient

- the GPU seems to work

To me it looks like a software problem. The GPU is not properly detected on start up by the BIOS for whatever reason. I have no idea at all why, sorry. You can only try to put the CPU into an other PCI-e slot and pray to the god to technology (some say this is Linus ;) ).

I do have an IT guy coming over to the house some time this week so hopefully he can figure it out, thanks for the help anyways!!!

I do have an IT guy coming over to the house some time this week so hopefully he can figure it out, thanks for the help anyways!!!

Your boot config is not right, you need to set things in bios properly which order however, I'm not sure.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd