HDD Failure Data lost

MAGP

Ok guys i had a real issue today i will try not to panic nor freak out but i think my hopes are dead.

I had an old computer sitting in my room and i wanted to use it.

It was a Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4ghz

with 16 gb DDR2 (4x4gb sticks)

and 1 HDD Seagate 7200 rpm (500gb)

So long story short i was going to use the pc and it failed on boot.  I tried inserting the win 7 disk to repair the booting problem but i couldnt.  My main concern was the data i had in there.  I tried to reinstall windows but when i was at the installation screen it showed only 3.5gb out of my 500gb.  I turned off the pc and grabbed the Hdd and put it in a hdd case and plugged it in another pc as an external hdd to see if it would boot but it didnt even read it.

What can i do? 

You can send the drive to Seagate, and they'll do their best to recover the data that's on it. Although this isn't cheap and the success rates aren't extraordinarily high.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

If you can plug it into a separate system, as a removable drive, data recover software exists

• Stellar Phoenix
  • EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard
  • Puran File Recovery
  • Recuva

To name a few.

I've had success pulling old files from a failed mechanical hard drive before, but it can be hit and miss.

Once you've pulled all you need/can, you can format the drive for a clean install of Windows, but a new drive would probably be your best choice.

Eeh, by gum.

ThrustJetViperPowerMustang: FX-6100 @4.4GHz (Stock Cooler) / 4x4GB Hyperam @ 1333MHz / OCZ Octane 250GB SSD / Asus HD6670 2GDDR3 / Asus M5A78LM-USB3