Upgrade my HP p6654y

rex8
Go to solution Solved by Senzelian,

Sorry I have one more question.. I would like to add some more usb ports to the empty dvd drive bay. How would I go about doing that? I read that I can buy some kind of Pcie Adapter if my new Mobo doesn't have the 3 pin plug. Also, can I use 3.0 with the motherboard you suggested?

This motherboard has 4 external USB 2.0 and 2 external USB 3.0 ports. It has also two internal USB 2.0 and one internal USB 3.0 header for the front panel connectors on your case :)

You could get even more ports by adding a PCI-e card on the back or a 5.25'' drive bay that connects to either the internal usb 2.0 or 3.0 ports.

Since everyone hates the idea that I want to build an AMD based machine on this forum... What would be the best upgrade for my 5 year old hp p6654y? I'd like to get a new Gpu, a new Psu and maybe a new MOBO.. It already works for what I use it for, but I would like to upgrade it a bit. I'm not a gamer, so that won't be an issue. I only want to spend a couple hundred bucks.. Then maybe I will just buy a used Intel machine so everyone will stop hating on me. Thanx.

-RARE inc-

Well, there isn't really a problem with building an AMD based PC.

Why exactly do you want to upgrade and what are you using the PC for?

The thing is that there aren't really any upgrade options for the HP P6654Y. There aren't any modern CPUs anymore for that motherboard socket, so a motherboard upgrade is definitly needed. You might aswell need to upgrade the RAM, because your rig currently runs only on 4GB of RAM. But that depends on what you do with your system.

Upgrading the PSU might also be a good idea. Prebuild PCs are not known for their outstanding PSUs, if you know what I mean. ;)

Well, there isn't really a problem with building an AMD based PC.

Why exactly do you want to upgrade and what are you using the PC for?

The thing is that there aren't really any upgrade options for the HP P6654Y. There aren't any modern CPUs anymore for that motherboard socket, so a motherboard upgrade is definitly needed. You might aswell need to upgrade the RAM, because your rig currently runs only on 4GB of RAM. But that depends on what you do with your system.

Upgrading the PSU might also be a good idea. Prebuild PCs are not known for their outstanding PSUs, if you know what I mean. ;)

I've already upgraded the ram to 8 gb. I run Ubuntu 14.04 and I'm learning how to program. I use it for watching movies, lots of multi tasking, like music.. security webcams. Multiple browser tabs open. Skype, Coding.. Pen testing.. I know I need a new Psu to handle a new GPU. It has a weak 250 watt crapper. lol What would be the best MOBO to throw in this thing and budget GPU without spending too much money on this old rig?

-RARE inc-

I've already upgraded the ram to 8 gb. I run Ubuntu 14.04 and I'm learning how to program. I use it for watching movies, lots of multi tasking, like music.. security webcams. Multiple browser tabs open. Skype, Coding.. Pen testing.. I know I need a new Psu to handle a new GPU. It has a weak 250 watt crapper. lol What would be the best MOBO to throw in this thing and budget GPU without spending too much money on this old rig?

That's good that you upgraded the RAM.

You obviously don't need a dedicated graphics card for your applications. A good CPU with integrated graphics will be fine.

So I would recommend an Intel Core i3-4160 and a cheap H81, H87, H97 motherboard. This i3 supports hyper-threading and is fairly cheap. It also uses the integrated Intel 4000 Graphics chip which is by far good enough for what you'll need it for.

Here is an example:

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($112.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($61.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $214.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-30 04:54 EDT-0400

With an H97 motherboard and socket 1150 you can upgrade later on all the way up to an i7-4790k if you ever wanted to. That will still be a great CPU even in 2-3 years.

Because your old computer used an MicroATX motherboard, I picked also a MicroATX board just because of compatibility issues, so it definitly fits inside that HP case.

The EVGA 500B does definitly deliver enough power for that rig and is probably a little overkill, but that way it will run at least quiet and you've got a bit of headroom if you wanted to install a graphics card for example.

If you want to spend even more on a better CPU for example tell me and I'll try to find a better option :)

Edit: Important to note is that you have to check your PSU if it is actually a standard sized ATX PSU. Cause otherwise the new one might not fit into the HP case.

That's good that you upgraded the RAM.

You obviously don't need a dedicated graphics card for your applications. A good CPU with integrated graphics will be fine.

So I would recommend an Intel Core i3-4160 and a cheap H81, H87, H97 motherboard. This i3 supports hyper-threading and is fairly cheap. It also uses the integrated Intel 4000 Graphics chip which is by far good enough for what you'll need it for.

Here is an example:

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($112.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($61.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $214.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-30 04:54 EDT-0400

With an H97 motherboard and socket 1150 you can upgrade later on all the way up to an i7-4790k if you ever wanted to. That will still be a great CPU even in 2-3 years.

Because your old computer used an MicroATX motherboard, I picked also a MicroATX board just because of compatibility issues, so it definitly fits inside that HP case.

The EVGA 500B does definitly deliver enough power for that rig and is probably a little overkill, but that way it will run at least quiet and you've got a bit of headroom if you wanted to install a graphics card for example.

If you want to spend even more on a better CPU for example tell me and I'll try to find a better option :)

Edit: Important to note is that you have to check your PSU if it is actually a standard sized ATX PSU. Cause otherwise the new one might not fit into the HP case.

I think that's about all I'm willing to pay for this computer. Thanks for the help. 

-RARE inc-

Sorry I have one more question.. I would like to add some more usb ports to the empty dvd drive bay. How would I go about doing that? I read that I can buy some kind of Pcie Adapter if my new Mobo doesn't have the 3 pin plug. Also, can I use 3.0 with the motherboard you suggested?

-RARE inc-

This motherboard has 4 external USB 2.0 and 2 external USB 3.0 ports. It has also two internal USB 2.0 and one internal USB 3.0 header for the front panel connectors on your case :)

You could get even more ports by adding a PCI-e card on the back or a 5.25'' drive bay that connects to either the internal usb 2.0 or 3.0 ports.