How to clone hdd to hdd with only 2 sata ports and no os

JuanFdo82465
Go to solution Solved by MG2R,

will that make a exact copy of the hdd cause i need windows to see the 1tb as if it was the 500gb with the same volume letter (local disk d) and all

cause i have folders like desktop and music libraries that normally are in C:\Users\ in the 500gb hdd if not, looking up in google find acronis true image and that it does bootable usbs just what i need will that do it so windows sees the 1tb the same as the 500gb

Do you mean you have the folders that are usually under C:\Users on that 500GB, which is normally mounted to drive letter D?

In that case, it doesn't need to be seen as a 500GB HDD, just format it as a 1TB drive, copy all the folders to it from the 500GB drive, plug it in and tell Windows to use drive letter D for the 1TB drive.

Hello everybody i know there are programs that make really easy to clone hdds but most that i find need to be installed and configured from windows

what i mean is i have 3 storage devices 1 ssd where my os lives with my programs, one 500gb hhd where everything else music pictures etc is storage and i'm buying a new 1tb hdd cause the 500gb is almost full and my mobo only has 2 sata ports

so how and with what program can i clone the 500 hdd to the 1tb hdd?

i have clone programs but most of them you open and configure inside of windows  then you restart the pc and the program clones the hdds before booting into the os

but cause i can't have all of them plug at once i can't schedule the cloning cause the 2 hdds are not plug at the same time so the cloning program can see them

i was thinking there may be cloning software that boots from a usb or cd so i can plug the 2 hdds boot from usb and clone them

or maybe the cloning sofware that comes with laptop ssd kits?. is that what i need if so where can i get it?

i can buy a sata to usb cable to be able to plug the 1tb hdd at the same time but i was thinking that coping 470 gb through usb 2.0 would take a longgg time

Thanks and have a nice day

There are external peripherals you can buy that clone Drives for you. I'd link a couple examples but I'm on my phone right now. Shouldn't be too hard to find on Newegg.com or whatever your preferred retailer is.

Blackout - Intel Core i5-4670K | Xigmatek Dark Knight II Nighthawk Ed. | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 (2GB) | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Mem. | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H Mobo | 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Seasonic Platinum SS-660XP2 660w PSU

there is a bootable program called "clonezilla"

throw it on a flash drive, that way you can use both sata ports

~Judah

Plug in both your 500GB and your 1TB drive, then put Ubuntu on a bootable thumb drive and boot off of that. In Ubuntu, format your 1TB as NTFS and copy everything you need from the 500GB.

will that make a exact copy of the hdd cause i need windows to see the 1tb as if it was the 500gb with the same volume letter (local disk d) and all

cause i have folders like desktop and music libraries that normally are in C:\Users\ in the 500gb hdd if not, looking up in google find acronis true image and that it does bootable usbs just what i need will that do it so windows sees the 1tb the same as the 500gb

Do you mean you have the folders that are usually under C:\Users on that 500GB, which is normally mounted to drive letter D?

In that case, it doesn't need to be seen as a 500GB HDD, just format it as a 1TB drive, copy all the folders to it from the 500GB drive, plug it in and tell Windows to use drive letter D for the 1TB drive.